Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
JDMLOL

Default Self-Study: Automotive Service text book

Picked up Automotive Service by Tim Gilles for a little self study at half priced books. I eventually want to do the majority of my work myself such as engine rebuilds, maintenance, etc... It's very interesting so far, it has 74 in-depth chapters covering everything from safety to running an automotive business. Something I've already read in the footnotes that I found interesting was that theoretically the first 15 minutes of an engine's warm up cycle puts more wear on the motor than a 1000 mile trip at operating temperature. Thoughts on the book? Anyone doing anything similar?

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Toby

I went through 2 years of automotive school when I lived in Oklahoma. I obtained me ase certification in engine performance, steering and suspension, electrical 1, and brakes. Was a great experience and have me tons of knowledge about the basics and some generic info to build on. Oh and I also received my refrigerant license to buy and service ac systems.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I went through 2 years of automotive school when I lived in Oklahoma. I obtained me ase certification in engine performance, steering and suspension, electrical 1, and brakes. Was a great experience and have me tons of knowledge about the basics and some generic info to build on. Oh and I also received my refrigerant license to buy and service ac systems.
Sweet. Where did you go? I wouldn't mind doing an automotive program after school. I wonder if any reputable automotive schools offer a night/weekend program that can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
46Tbird

My dad is an instructor at Lincoln Tech. He works in the auto body / collision department, but there is a general automotive course that you can take that will teach you most aspects of electrical/mechanical systems on modern cars. There is also a diesel course if you're interested in that. I can get you hooked up with a recruiter if this is something you might want to make a career of.

PS - It takes years of experience and good tools to make good money in the auto business. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
My dad is an instructor at Lincoln Tech. He works in the auto body / collision department, but there is a general automotive course that you can take that will teach you most aspects of electrical/mechanical systems on modern cars. There is also a diesel course if you're interested in that. I can get you hooked up with a recruiter if this is something you might want to make a career of.

PS - It takes years of experience and good tools to make good money in the auto business. Good luck.
Truf. The hardest part of being a mechanic isnt the R/R its the diagnosing.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post

More for personal knowledge. I will have a degree in business admin with a focus in IT in December but I would love to take courses for general automotive knowledge. I wouldn't mind running some sort of shop sometime in the future.

The Queen:
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Toby

I went to southern Oklahoma technology center. It's basically a vocational school. They have auto body tech, welding etc.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
DirtyD

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
More for personal knowledge. I will have a degree in business admin with a focus in IT in December but I would love to take courses for general automotive knowledge. I wouldn't mind running some sort of shop sometime in the future.
This is what I want to do as well, for personal knowledge. But I don't like reading....
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
This is what I want to do as well, for personal knowledge. But I don't like reading....
I cant read it unless it's something I find interesting. The first book I have ever bought to read for fun was "Iron fist, lead foot" about the terminator program. The second book I've ever bought is this automotive text book.

The Queen: