Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Dominic Toretto

Default Why a Mustang?

Just curious why everyone went with a Mustang, especially if this is your first. This is my first Ford product. I came from a Corvette LS1. I was deciding between a Camaro, Mustang and Challenger. Challenger looks nice from some angles but they are terribly overpriced, underpowered and overweight. Like Camaros but, the gauge instrumentation placement is just stupid, and the automatics don't have the LS3s. Always loved the new retro Mustangs and felt they looked the closest to the original cars, love the power/weight ratio and the looks. Test drove all three cars, sold on the Mustang.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
downtime!

I got hooked on them back in High School (my first was a '70 Mach 1) and have basically had them ever since. The '12 and the '05 in the garage now are my 30th and 31st.

If the convertible Camaro would have been out before I bought the '12, things might have been different though. I'm not a Mustang snob, I like all muscle cars. I just like Mustangs the most.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

To me in the category of mustang, Camaro, challenger I think the mustang is the best bang for the bucks, and best looking. Now if I wanted to spend more money I would get a vette cause I think those are just sex on wheels but they are just a little out of my price range.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
46Tbird

They're cheap, pretty fast, look great, and have enough accoutrements to make them livable as a daily driver. Kind of a no-brainer.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
DirtyD

I have wanted a Mustang since I was 8 when I saw my first 1993 Cobra R. Ever since then they have just been my "dream" car that I would one day be able to own. Got out of college, new job, and didn't know how much longer my truck would last me. Who knew it would be totaled 2 months later.

With the job I landed, I was able to figure out my finances to afford a 2013, and so I pulled the trigger. Best thing I've ever bought.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
JDMLOL

I agree with all the above statements.
That's my story. Lol.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
To me in the category of mustang, Camaro, challenger I think the mustang is the best bang for the bucks, and best looking. Now if I wanted to spend more money I would get a vette cause I think those are just sex on wheels but they are just a little out of my price range.
Actually Corvettes are pretty cheap as long as you go used. With the C7 about to be on the streets, C6 prices should drop even more quite nicely. I plan on getting another Corvette in a few years. Keeping the Stang of course

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Midnight11
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Actually Corvettes are pretty cheap as long as you go used. With the C7 about to be on the streets, C6 prices should drop even more quite nicely. I plan on getting another Corvette in a few years. Keeping the Stang of course

-Alex
Wouldn't buy a used sports car but that's just me...

My reason, always wanted a mustang so I finally bought one when I got the chance, well 3 actually lol

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
saunupe1911

I was never a fan of Mustangs. I dreamed of Supras, GT-R, and Z cars...hence my first car was a G35. My sights were all on a used E46 M3, 335 or Evo until BOOM...the 5.0 comes back and its performance is equivalent to an E92 M3. Then it became a no brainer and it took Chevy 3 yrs to catch up with its 1LE.

But for some reason I always loved, the fox body 5.0s and I always loved anything SVT touched. So basically the whole 4.6 era was a let down for me because imports was were so much better in my opinion. Handling is more important than straight line power to me and Ford covered all areas this generation.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
KungFuHamster

I grew up a GM guy...dreaming of the day I would own my own Trans Am.

One night my buddy had just gotten his small block 400 ci Nova rebuilt and thought it was badass (to us it was) saw an unfamiliar fox body pull into McDonalds. We set up a quick street race and the 5.0 handed the car its ass. I couldn't believe it. A couple years later this kid i work with gets one with a cam, 4.10s and a couple of bolt ons and I couldn't believe how fast it was. The seed was planted.

Fast forward a few years...I'm in the Navy, GM announces the death of the F-body so i go to trade my Camaro. Long story short, a horrible, shitty experience with the Chevy dealer sent me looking at the Fords (I loved the 99+body style when it came out) and boom, got into a 2001 GT and haven't looked back since.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
Wouldn't buy a used sports car but that's just me...
Why?

-Alex

Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Midnight11
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Why?

-Alex
Some people beat their cars up

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Dominic Toretto

Point taken.

-Alex

Old 07-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Luke

First car was a 92 coupe and my stepdad was big into drag racing so Mustangs were everywhere. He also built race engines for a living so working on cars became a fun learning experience. I also ended up working at a Ford dealer for 5 years so between the first car planting the seed, my stepdad taking us to the track and my work at the time, the Mustang and racing stuff just fell into place.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
46Tbird

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
I grew up a GM guy...dreaming of the day I would own my own Trans Am.