The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
re-rx7
Banned

Default Fish tanks.

Anyone here do fish tanks? I have a few cichlid tanks lookin into saltwater soon. It seems most car guys have tanks lol.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Slow Five-O

Default Re: Fish tanks.

I've done a few. My first saltwater (went from cichlid to saltwater) was a live rock. It was a chore to keep for sure. There was some bad ass stuff in there though at night. Salt water no live rock would probably be a good place to start but I know you do a good bit of reading etc with tanks so I'm sure you would do better than I did with live rock should you choose to go that direction.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
IHateThisSite

I had a few .. No fish right now but have a 150 130 and 75 waiting lol fish money or car money...
IHateThisSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
re-rx7
Banned

I have a 46 gallon corner, 9 gallon planted tank and a 5 gallon tiger shrimp only tank. The 46 is cichlids from Malawi. The 9 gallon is my favorite. Planted with a few tetras. The upkeep is quite extensive but it's wrth it. The shrimp tank is beautiful as well. Tiger shrimp are hard to keep but interesting to watch. Cichlids are hardy as fuck. Lol
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Slow Five-O View Post
I've done a few. My first saltwater (went from cichlid to saltwater) was a live rock. It was a chore to keep for sure. There was some bad ass stuff in there though at night. Salt water no live rock would probably be a good place to start but I know you do a good bit of reading etc with tanks so I'm sure you would do better than I did with live rock should you choose to go that direction.
Saltwater is so much more lively. Everything seems to be alive in those tānks. Enjoyable for sure.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Slow Five-O

You can get live rock that has been out of the water for a LONG time, in a week it will be growing stuff and small living things all on its own. I used to setup a night vision camera to catch some of the awesome stuff that goes on.

Don't have anything going right now, but been playing with the idea of another African cichlid tank.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Hell no. The last thing I need is another thing to clean, maintain, feed, costs more money etc.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
re-rx7
Banned

You can get live rock that has been out of the water for a LONG time, in a week it will be growing stuff and small living things all on its own. I used to setup a night vision camera to catch some of the awesome stuff that goes on.

Don't have anything going right now, but been playing with the idea of another African cichlid tank.
African cichlids are by far the prettiest f all freshwater. Some look better then saltwater IMO. Every time I see a salt tank I watch the substrate just to see what all I can see.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Slow Five-O

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
African cichlids are by far the prettiest f all freshwater. Some look better then saltwater IMO. Every time I see a salt tank I watch the substrate just to see what all I can see.
My previous tank was a 55 gal of them. They would all stop and watch tv when I turned all the lights out and watch a movie. They're said to be the smartest fish.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
re-rx7
Banned

My previous tank was a 55 gal of them. They would all stop and watch tv when I turned all the lights out and watch a movie. They're said to be the smartest fish.
I believe that lol, especially during feeding time. They know what's up. When they have babies is awesome. Very protective mouth brooders. Mine pretty much just wait around but if I walk through the house and they see me, straight to the top to beg lol.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Luke

Pics?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
re-rx7
Banned

This is my 46gal corner. Crap pic.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
JDMLOL

Cool looking hobby. I've heard it's difficult though. Someone told me a relatively small temp or ph change could wipe out everything, is that right?

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
re-rx7
Banned

It really depends on the fish. Some fish can take a beating other die if you stock your finger in the water.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
IHateThisSite

IHateThisSite is offline   Reply With Quote