Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
JDMLOL

Default Oil Change Intervals

So I will be hitting 3,000 mi soon and I know recommended oil for the 5.0 is synthetic blend per Ford. I don't trust the people at walmart or the jiffy lube and I don't feel like taking it to the dealer so I'm going to do it myself. What do some of you all run? I'm planning on doing Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance. What are some of y'alls oil and filter change intervals on full synthetic? I know Mobil 1 EP is rated at 15,000 mi, not too comfortable with that but maybe 7,500-10,000 mi. What do y'all think?
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
DirtyD

Default Oil Change Intervals

Ford built and designed this engine, so I believe I should put in it what they recommend. That's just MHO though.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
STROKD
Old School

I ran Royal Purple in my Cobra, and in the Porsche... seems to work great. The Vettes get Mobil 1.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Change it every 5k, it's cheaper than buying a new motor
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
MnemonicGhost

I just passed 3k and have like 70% of "oil life" on the display. Even with Extreme duty and heat, I believe the manual says it should be 7,000-8,000 miles until it gets to zero. But oil is cheap insurance for a healthy engine. So I'm likely to do it on my own as well pretty soon. I think ford recommends 5w20 motorcraft semi synthetic.

Mods thus far: JLT Oil Separator - MMD Hood Struts
MnemonicGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
46Tbird

Let Ford do it. They will use a Motorcraft filter and use oil that they approve of themselves. That way there's never a question of maintenance. I changed oil at 1k miles, then 5k miles, then every 5-6k miles after that. On both engines, lmao.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

I switching to amsoil and changing it every 3k miles.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
JDMLOL

Default Re: Oil Change Intervals

Hmmm. A range of different answers. See I believe that synthetics are better and maintain their chemical properties longer than conventional, but I dont think filters are meant to do their job for as long as some of these synthetics are supposed to last. I've read several different articles on synthetic lab testing but nothing on filters. I hear the motorcraft one that came from the factory is the best one. I agree changing oil regulary is cheap insurance to keep the motor in tip top shape but I dont see the point in spending money on an oil change if the filter and oil are perfectly fine. Does the oil life monitor actually read the life through a sensor or calculate based on miles and driving style? It sounds like based on what I've heard, Ill just stick with ford recommended oil and filters every 5k.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
IHateThisSite

It's a dummy timer... Don't trust it for anything .... It's mainly for people who are to stupid to know when to change it ..... Ignore that time 100% and do it on a regular cycle ... I do 5000 miles ... Sometimes a little more if I don't get around to it ... This round it will be like 5200-5300...
IHateThisSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
03MachMe

Do mine every 5k miles, because they are free for another year and half at Town East. Just rolled over 10k so I'll be taking it in for its 2nd oil change soon.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
JDMLOL

So I changed it a little early (2300mi) with the recommended Motorcraft filter and semi synthetic oil. Now I'm having a ticking issue from about idle-1500 rpm. I've read about people having similar issues on other forums after an early oil change. Has anyone heard of or had this issue? There is a rumor that Ford added some sort of break in additive to the oil from the factory that was supposed to fix this issue.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
Emwun Garand

10w30 will fix it.
I know that when they designed the Cobra they originally intended to use 10w30 but Ford got some kind of grant or discount with something if they switched to 5w20, so that's what the car shipped with. I switched to 10w30. I know several other 5.0 guys who also run 10w30 and eliminated the same ticking noise.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
MidWest281

get the oil changed at your dealership....therefore you have the maintenance records for warranty purposes.

2013 Performance White Boss 302
-Stock

2002 Mineral Gray GT
-VT engines Stage 2 N/A cams, full SLP exhaust, 4.10 gear...etc.
MidWest281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
TurboZ

do it according to how hard you drive. if you're constantly beating the shit out of it, do it at 3500-4k if you're running synthetic (not royal purple crap). if you granny drive it, you can get away with 5-6k miles between intervals. If you're running royal purple, its a non-detergent oil which means race only. You don't wanna run royal purple for more than 3k miles at a time. I pulled apart an LS1 at 60k miles that ran nothing but royal purple. It looked worse than a motor with twice the mileage running pennzoil. Some royal purple out there does have detergents, but the majority dont. I'd suggest castrol syntec, or if you have to, mobil1. If you're willing to spend the money, buy amsoil. Its the best synthetic oil out there, has amazing detergent properties, and won't hurt anything if you happen to miss the 5-6k mile intervals. Yes its expensive, but more now, is less money spent later

**83 Turbo 280ZX** - Megasquirt 2 v3.0 Stand alone EMS, n42 head swap (8.3:1 cr), n42 intake, 60mm throttle body, z31 watercooled T3, NXS Manual boost controller (12psi) MSD Blaster 2 Coil, Apexi 3" Turboback Exhaust, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Greddy Type-S BOV, DNA Motoring FMIC, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, CX Racing SR20 Radiator, Custom Ram Air Intake, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Eibach 2" Pro Lowering Springs, Tokico Blue HP Shocks, Energy Suspension LCA, Subframe, & End link Bushings
TurboZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
JDMLOL

Default Re: Oil Change Intervals

I dont feel I should have to go to the dealer for an oil change. It takes more time, plus I'm still a student. Im not trying to spend more than I have to on something I can easily do myself. Ive worked at a dealer before, I remember most of the time the oil changes were done by some kid that wasnt even a tech. I can save my oreilly receipts and bottles as proof to me using their recommended lubricants and filters. I just want to be sure the ticking doesnt cause damage. It doesnt make sense that the car does it after an oil change when I supposedly replaced it with the same lubricant that it came with from the factory. Why do the track pack cars take 5w-50, is it because they come with an external oil cooler?

The Queen: