/Users/jeffcurl/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/Dec 14, 2012/IMG_0993.jpg

Ok........and?

blownaltered
12-14-2012, 07:56 PM
/Users/jeffcurl/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/Dec 14, 2012/IMG_0993.jpg

That explains a lot, I'm glad you showed us that

BLK2012GT
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Yeah I know it did. Shit won't let me upload the pics. Well I'm at dinner so I'll do it when I get home.

Midnight11
12-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Ok and?

BLK2012GT
12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok.......and? Hey nick have you put your dick deposit down for that tune at TS?

04sleeper
12-14-2012, 08:52 PM
That explains a lot, I'm glad you showed us that
http://www.lolroflmao.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/i-cant-see-shit.jpg

BLK2012GT
12-14-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.lolroflmao.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/i-cant-see-shit.jpg

Lol

Midnight11
12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
:snoopfacepalm:

Grandpa
12-14-2012, 09:54 PM
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/lspencer534/water.gif

Grandpa
12-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Jeff's last dyno pull................

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7794/diesell.jpg

TrueStreetTim
12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Ruth....less. :mf_pcwhack:

BLK2012GT
12-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Ruth....less. :mf_pcwhack:

Eh, they're jealous that their cars won't be as fast as mine.

blownaltered
12-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Eh, they're jealous that their cars won't be as fast as mine.

The faster the car the more shit you break, I'll stay slow.

BLK2012GT
12-15-2012, 12:53 PM

True, unless its built correctly for the speed.

Phuck Phace
12-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah I know it did. Shit won't let me upload the pics. Well I'm at dinner so I'll do it when I get home.

LMAO, I forgot about that.

Grandpa
12-15-2012, 01:43 PM

Amen to that! You can see where going fast got him. His car is in the shop most of the time along with his money. lol.

BLK2012GT
12-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Amen to that! You can see where going fast got him. His car is in the shop most of the time along with his money. lol.

Please my car has been in the shop to get go fast goodies. This is the first problem I've had.

downtime!
12-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Please my car has been in the shop to get go fast goodies. This is the first problem I've had.Pretty serious problem though, gotta admit. I beat mine mercilessly, 30k miles, hundreds of passes, not even a hiccup. Did they come up with a reason for the failure?

BLK2012GT
12-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Pretty serious problem though, gotta admit. I beat mine mercilessly, 30k miles, hundreds of passes, not even a hiccup. Did they come up with a reason for the failure?

Nope.

downtime!
12-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Nope.So the pic that's on Facebook with the bent con-rod, that's the culprit? And they haven't figured out why it bent? Any damage to the top of the piston?

Toby
12-15-2012, 11:42 PM
The only problem we found was the bent rod. Piston tops look perfect, valves are perfect not even the slightest hint of detonation, or anything lean related. We have spoken to our local ford dealer, they have informed us that they have seen a hand full of the new 5.0 mustangs come in with a locked up motor that was a result of a bent rod. Seems to becoming a common thing with these cars. It will come back better then ever!

DirtyD
12-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Maybe some motors are getting weak rods due to tolerances in the material?

Toby
12-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Not sure, there is also another common thing, most all of them that have this problem, have around 5k miles....

Midnight11
12-15-2012, 11:51 PM
i know you said the pistons are good but can u tell which one he has

I now have each piston revision for the Coyote GT.

The late '12 piston appears to be the same as the 11-12 piston except it has the phosphate coating. The '13 piston has the coating, the extra oil drain back passages, and the gas groove in the second ring land.

From top to bottom: 11-12 piston (03/22/2010-12/08/2011)....Late '12 piston (12/08/2011-02/27/2012)....'13 piston (02/27/2012-current):

11-12 piston:
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/19cobra93/1e01e96c.jpg

late 12
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/19cobra93/8609e323.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd360/19cobra93/1740e2e4.jpg

DirtyD
12-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Not sure, there is also another common thing, most all of them that have this problem, have around 5k miles....

Maybe it's the fact the cars weren't broken in properly? They say that break in is first 5k or so...

downtime!
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
The only problem we found was the bent rod. Piston tops look perfect, valves are perfect not even the slightest hint of detonation, or anything lean related. We have spoken to our local ford dealer, they have informed us that they have seen a hand full of the new 5.0 mustangs come in with a locked up motor that was a result of a bent rod. Seems to becoming a common thing with these cars. It will come back better then ever!Assembly line variances, call it what you will (is it a "Friday" engine or a "Monday" engine), still a bit scary to think it can, and does happen. This makes two that I know of for sure now. If it is indeed becoming a known issue, maybe this will finally prompt Ford into giving us a "real" set of con-rods.

downtime!
12-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Maybe it's the fact the cars weren't broken in properly? They say that break in is first 5k or so...I had the tune loaded, and mine at the track, on Day 2. I think it's more luck of the draw than anything else. Ford puts together a few hundred of these things a day, shit happens. Not nearly as much as it used to, but it still happens. That's why we get warranties.

Toby
12-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Maybe it's the fact the cars weren't broken in properly? They say that break in is first 5k or so...

An engine is an engine. They all have gaskets, rings, bearings, etc. How do you think guys with race cars break their engines in? they have no way of putting 5k miles on it. Some engines wont even last 500 miles before the rods need replacing. I think its more a shitty luck of the draw. IMO

DirtyD
12-16-2012, 12:42 AM
An engine is an engine. They all have gaskets, rings, bearings, etc. How do you think guys with race cars break their engines in? they have no way of putting 5k miles on it. Some engines wont even last 500 miles before the rods need replacing. I think its more a shitty luck of the draw. IMO

That was more of a thinking out loud post.

I will agree with you on the race cars though. Takes A LOT of quarter mile passes to get to 5k. Lol

46Tbird
12-16-2012, 10:52 AM
A bent rod isn't what caused the engine to lock up.

Something caused the bent rod in the first place. A locked up rod bearing will do it, hydrolock will do it, sometimes too many RPM can do it (rare). How does the rod bearing look?

Toby
12-16-2012, 11:12 AM
A bent rod isn't what caused the engine to lock up.

Something caused the bent rod in the first place. A locked up rod bearing will do it, hydrolock will do it, sometimes too many RPM can do it (rare). How does the rod bearing look?

The bearing looked new not even the slightest sign of wear. The rod was bent in a way that it was wedges against the counter weight on the crank and twisted so that the crank could not turn. The car was running perfectly fine, pulled it on the dyno, swapped the injectors out strapped it down and when we tried to start it, it rotated maybe once then a clunk and nothing after that.

Grandpa
12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
How do i find out the build date of my car?

Luke
12-16-2012, 01:12 PM
How do i find out the build date of my car?

Is it not on your door jamb?

Grandpa
12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Is it not on your door jamb?

No idea. Havent looked.

BLK2012GT
12-16-2012, 02:41 PM
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b576/blk2012gt/1CFA865C-5FD5-4DFC-8CC4-583EA147BA02-977-000000699F8105F8_zps6e5eaa50.jpg

Midnight11
12-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks to nick for figuring it out for you

BLK2012GT
12-17-2012, 06:43 PM
If you guys want a good and funny read here you go. Steve starting shit over at svtperformance. Lol jk Steve I know those guys don't have a clue.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/896979-engine-locked-up-4500-miles-3.html

BLK2012GT
12-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Plus I wonder if Clint will chime in on that thread. Lol

Grandpa
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
If you guys want a good and funny read here you go. Steve starting shit over at svtperformance. Lol jk Steve I know those guys don't have a clue.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/896979-engine-locked-up-4500-miles-3.html

If they knew they didn't have a clue of a clue that would be one thing. It's amazing some of those guys even know how to turn the key on their cars.

zemog255
12-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't know why you are saying they are so wrong. IMO the "defective rod" conclusion isn't the issue. I agree with what they posted on SVTP.

Im sure the guys at truestreet are honest guys. They seem to have quite a few happy customers. I'm not saying that they are trying to get out of paying or taking responsibilty.

They may have never even thought of this happening. I guess the only way to know for sure or atleast let them know for future reference, is how they bled the fuel system before they swapped out the injectors. If they did everything by the book. started the car, pulled the fuse to the fuel pump and let the car run until it ran out of gas or any other method that works the same. Then I would be completley fine with accepting the rod was just defective. I just dont see any other reasonable answer with how it bent under those conditions.

blownaltered
12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm no mechanic but I have changed more than one set of injectors and I have a full proof method. I don't pull any fuses or blead the lines. I just pull the damn things, let fuel go everywhere and put the new ones in. Never bent a rod, I must be a damn magician because every car I've ever done that on runs perfect. I think you guys are looking at this injector thing a little to hard, sometimes shit just happens.

Grandpa
12-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm no mechanic but I have changed more than one set of injectors and I have a full proof method. I don't pull any fuses or blead the lines. I just pull the damn things, let fuel go everywhere and put the new ones in. Never bent a rod, I must be a damn magician because every car I've ever done that on runs perfect. I think you guys are looking at this injector thing a little to hard, sometimes shit just happens.

Exactly.

zemog255
12-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Actually your way works obviously. Not the most clean way but it works.. With that said just because you get away with something doesn't make it fool proof.

"shit" doesn't just happen. If you're working on it yourself then thats a acceptable answer. If im paying someone else to work on my stuff and I have this information right infront of me, I would look into it. If the OP doesn't care and planned on upgrading anyways then I guess the situation works out for both of them.

blownaltered
12-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Actually your way works obviously. Not the most clean way but it works.. With that said just because you get away with something doesn't make it fool proof.

"shit" doesn't just happen. If you're working on it yourself then thats a acceptable answer. If im paying someone else to work on my stuff and I have this information right infront of me, I would look into it. If the OP doesn't care and planned on upgrading anyways then I guess the situation works out for both of them.

Yes you can look into it, but how do you prove it. That is the problem with anything on a high performance car, expecially with stock internals. how do you prove it. I have a stock bottom end 302 in a 89 GT, I know that over a certain power and rpm my block will most likely blow ( or guaranteed to blow ). Why don't you guys look at these new motors the same way. They aren't lsx motors so they weren't touched by god so that means shit will go wrong at certain power levels. Why can't this be from power or not a manufacterer defect but manufacterer limit on parts. On a side note I will be changing injectors on my personal car here in a couples months the old redneck way, so somebody please pray for me.

zemog255
12-17-2012, 09:12 PM
I completely agree with what you're saying and being able to 100% put them at fault won't happen at this point.

Lets look at the facts:
Car ran and drove just fine on the dyno.
Swapped the injectors
Motor turned over twice then locked.

It wasn't ran hard then shut down, just a simple pull in from the parking lot and drove on to the dyno and turned off. How does that sound like stress due to power or parts being defective? Possible sure but that seems way to coincidental for me. If he pulled into his garage at home and then the next day went out to his car and the motor locked then sure lets blame it on parts or abuse.

blownaltered
12-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I completely agree with what you're saying and being able to 100% put them at fault won't happen at this point.

Lets look at the facts:
Car ran and drove just fine on the dyno.
Swapped the injectors
Motor turned over twice then locked.

It wasn't ran hard then shut down, just a simple pull in from the parking lot and drove on to the dyno and turned off. How does that sound like stress due to power or parts being defective? Possible sure but that seems way to coincidental for me. If he pulled into his garage at home and then the next day went out to his car and the motor locked then sure lets blame it on parts or abuse.

Sometimes there are no simple answers in life. Shit happens and sometimes knowbody knows why. I've had more than one fast car and race car so I've seen some weird stuff. I've run faster with two blown head gaskets and three popped pistons then I did the week before when the motor was perfect. Actually raced it for about a month before I figured out something was wrong. So if I can run 5.15's every pass with a screwed motor ( of course this was a race built balanced motor ), I can assume that a ford production motor could pop for no reason. Its part of going fast, you got to pay to play.

46Tbird
12-17-2012, 11:01 PM
So has anyone taken a close look at the new injectors to see if one is stuck?

Grandpa
12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
So has anyone taken a close look at the new injectors to see if one is stuck?

The OP is allergic to wrenches. :troll3:

TrueStreetMotorSports.com
12-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Wow, shops just can't win on the internet.....

I'm not going to go into a long disscution on this because the flames are just going to get fueled.

Car was pulled in, fuel lines removed, injectors/rails were removed, new injectors installed, plugs were pulled, (plugs to be gapped for more nitrous) plugs reinstalled, fuel lines reinstalled. Tried starting car and and motor turned over two times then "clunk" we checked starter then decided to turn motor over by hand to check the flywheel to see if a piece had broke off. Motor would not budge. We pulled plugs again to check for a leaky injector, all cylinders were dry. Pulled valve covers to check timing chains/guides ect. All turned out just fine. Customer said he wants to pull the motor at this point and stroke it, and port heads. So we pulled the motor...... advised customer of what we have found.

Also I have been in contact with the two ford dealership we do business with (bob tomes and five star) bob tomes has had 3 motors with bent rods (two 2012 and one 2013) and five star has had one 2012.

Both of these dealers tell me that there customers had similar stories. Car ran and drove great. Next thing they know the car wont start......

There are other storie on the Internet of 5.0's and boss mustangs have similar issues.

here is a link to another site with 5.0s locking up

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t294722/

I'm sure we can not get all the Internet mechanics to believe us or the other car forums that are having similar issues with the 5.0's locking up but we have worked a special deal with the customer that he is happy with.

BLK2012GT
12-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Wow, shops just can't win on the internet.....

I'm not going to go into a long disscution on this because the flames are just going to get fueled.

Car was pulled in, fuel lines removed, injectors/rails were removed, new injectors installed, plugs were pulled, (plugs to be gapped for more nitrous) plugs reinstalled, fuel lines reinstalled. Tried starting car and and motor turned over two times then "clunk" we checked starter then decided to turn motor over by hand to check the flywheel to see if a piece had broke off. Motor would not budge. We pulled plugs again to check for a leaky injector, all cylinders were dry. Pulled valve covers to check timing chains/guides ect. All turned out just fine. Customer said he wants to pull the motor at this point and stroke it, and port heads. So we pulled the motor...... advised customer of what we have found.

Also I have been in contact with the two ford dealership we do business with (bob tomes and five star) bob tomes has had 3 motors with bent rods (two 2012 and one 2013) and five star has had one 2012.

Both of these dealers tell me that there customers had similar stories. Car ran and drove great. Next thing they know the car wont start......

There are other storie on the Internet of 5.0's and boss mustangs have similar issues.

here is a link to another site with 5.0s locking up

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t294722/

I'm sure we can not get all the Internet mechanics to believe us or the other car forums that are having similar issues with the 5.0's locking up but we have worked a special deal with the customer that he is happy with.

Yes I am very happy with the way TS is handling this situation. I know the guys at TS are good guys and I know they won't do me wrong. Can't wait till everything gets rolling.

Toby
12-18-2012, 12:52 AM
What blows my mind, is the amount of guys that pull injectors out allowing fuel to spill all over a hot engine. Any time myself or anyone at ts replaces injectors, the lines are disconnected with a rag wrapped around it to soak any fuel that might leak. The rails are then removed with injectors intact via the clips provided by ford. The rails are then taken to a bench where the new injectors are lubed and reinstalled along with the safety clips and the rails are reinstalled with very little to no fuel spilled especially on a hot engine. It takes maybe 2 minutes more to remove the rails vs not removing the rails...

blownaltered
12-18-2012, 01:52 AM
What blows my mind, is the amount of guys that pull injectors out allowing fuel to spill all over a hot engine. Any time myself or anyone at ts replaces injectors, the lines are disconnected with a rag wrapped around it to soak any fuel that might leak. The rails are then removed with injectors intact via the clips provided by ford. The rails are then taken to a bench where the new injectors are lubed and reinstalled along with the safety clips and the rails are reinstalled with very little to no fuel spilled especially on a hot engine. It takes maybe 2 minutes more to remove the rails vs not removing the rails...

Hey I make sure it's cold. I don't want to set my car on fire like a different shop did to my old mustang.

Toby
12-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Hey I make sure it's cold. I don't want to set my car on fire like a different shop did to my old mustang.

It's one thing to do it to your own car in your garage, that is your business. But these guys on svt claim to work at a shop. That shows the integrity of them. We pride ourselves on trying to do the best job we can with 0 corners cut just to save 2 minutes.

blownaltered
12-18-2012, 10:52 PM
It's one thing to do it to your own car in your garage, that is your business. But these guys on svt claim to work at a shop. That shows the integrity of them. We pride ourselves on trying to do the best job we can with 0 corners cut just to save 2 minutes.
You didnt know everybody is a mechanical engineer on the Internet. That's the bad thing about it, you get your name dragged through the mud and they don't have a clue. To me as long as the customer is happy with the service he is getting then that is all that matters.

STROKD
12-19-2012, 02:49 AM
I used to have more fuel in my 86 than a gd diesel motor would use 8-1 AF easily... I never bent a rod or locked up the motor.

If these new rods are that damn pathetic, Ill never own one. Cant afford a 30-40K car and have to spend 10 grand on a motor so it wont blow up, and screw leaving it stock for warranty.