Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #421
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
I'm not going to participate in the top ten. Just pointing out I already beat two of the top 3 so far.

And I love how that gtg last night was supposed to settle some grudge matches yet no one is talking about them. Seems like I'm the hot topic of the night.
It's my understanding #10 was not there and a lot of people wanting to get on the list couldn't do so. I know Dark Pony was trying to set up some races to move up the list but I don't know what came of it.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #422
DirtyD

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
And I love how that gtg last night was supposed to settle some grudge matches yet no one is talking about them. Seems like I'm the hot topic of the night.
Ant, Jalal, and myself decided to forgo ours because we were trying to figure out our consistency. That was my first time ever at a track drag racing. That was Jalal's first at a 1/4. And I think Ant was having to sort out a few things.

I definitely have some things to learn and practice.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #423
DirtyD

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
It's my understanding #10 was not there and a lot of people wanting to get on the list couldn't do so. I know Dark Pony was trying to set up some races to move up the list but I don't know what came of it.
John (GunsUp) was there but won't race at the track, only the street.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #424
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Ant, Jalal, and myself decided to forgo ours because we were trying to figure out our consistency. That was my first time ever at a track drag racing. That was Jalal's first at a 1/4. And I think Ant was having to sort out a few things.

I definitely have some things to learn and practice.
I didn't know that lol. When talking to Ant we did one practice run by ourselves than we lined up and ran them, he missed third and I won, we did a cool off and than lined them back up and ran them again. Our R/T was almost identical I pulled second, and than he missed third again, and than missed fourth. Than he got a phone call saying he needed to be at work for sunday and than he packed up and left after that. But I was under the impression you were suppose to run loser of us but he had to take off.. again, I think, Ant and I had an official run. I have the slips, and my girl has both videos. but it doesn't matter lol. I'll run him again

John (GunsUp) was there but won't race at the track, only the street.
only on the street? interesting

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #425
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
I didn't know that lol. When talking to Ant we did one practice run by ourselves than we lined up and ran them, he missed third and I won, we did a cool off and than lined them back up and ran them again. Our R/T was almost identical I pulled second, and than he missed third again, and than missed fourth. Than he got a phone call saying he needed to be at work for sunday and than he packed up and left after that. But I was under the impression you were suppose to run loser of us but he had to take off.. again, I think, Ant and I had an official run. I have the slips, and my girl has both videos. but it doesn't matter lol. I'll run him again

only on the street? interesting
Ah, well it appears I am the misinformed one. Haha

I talked to Ant and he said he was figuring some things out. Plus I told him I wanted to get used to running down the track and he said that was cool and we could push it back to whenever. I didn't know that y'alls was official. Oh well, I'm sure I can hold off John for awhile.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #426
wbt

A little confused my friend. I saw the graphs and watched both videos. I have the jlt oil sep. and have checked it here and there, it's been on my car maybe 3,000 miles now, I have 8,800 on the car now. Back to your graphs and comparisons. Based on what your signals were reading that'd effect only shifts? Or would it effect horsepower as well? Also, because of those testing are you running your stock cai?
If you know how to fit the stock airbox to the CJ intake manifold I am all ears. As is, I am using a custom Airaid setup where I modified a 2010 GT Airaid intake tube to mate to the GT500 TB and Airaid airbox.

kdanner posted some of the technical finding from the testing: http://www.dfw50s.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=404

Keep an eye on those JLT fittings. Eventually they will break if they are not the metal pieces.

Yeah, I've heard many people, time after time, mention the stock boxes performed very well. And "pointless" to replace it. I just figured an open air filter could squeeze more air in, may not be the coolest air but more air and based on that video I watched his gauges showed and he said the open air filters cool off quicker than the already great stock cai
We did back to back testing at the track between the stock airbox and the JLT. Both using the same tune minus the changes for the MAF transfer function. There was a .06 difference between the two. That falls within the margin of error. In a nutshell, buy an aftermarket CAI for looks/sound.

The video about IAT's prove nothing. What he doesn't discuss is that when using the stock intake, the IAT's sitting still in traffic will not increase nearly as fast vs. using an aftermarket CAI. We all live in Texas and know how hot it gets here. A DD car will fare much better with the stock intake.

Regarding dyno numbers, dyno'ing with the hood open will show an open air filter producing gains over stock but that is a false positive. The minute the hood closes those gains disappear. We drive our cars with the hood closed, not open.

So is the intake you have one of the first production ones? Before any revisions and what not? If so, I'm sure that make be part of it. You'd think someone on Craigslist would be on it. Haha

I do like the stock box, especially the fact it's a closed element design to help negate any effect from under hood temps on the IATs. I just don't like the accordion style couples and tube they use on it because I would imagine the interference in airflow that would cause. Why not just make a straight flow through tube from the factory and be done?...
It is one without the filter stop. The unit I have we tested with is what led the brand "j" owner to put a filter stop on his product.

Last edited by wbt; 08-19-2013 at 02:08 AM.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #427
Oxford14Stang

Ah, well it appears I am the misinformed on. Haha

I talked to Ant and he said he was figuring some things out. I didn't know that y'alls was official. Oh well, I'm sure I can hold off John for awhile.
Yeah, like I said I thought it was official. We were just getting in one practice run with each other. Like I said doesn't matter, Ant wouldn't lose his spot anyways. And when he calls me out again I'll run him again.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #428
Oxford14Stang

Okay with that said let me ask you. You're running an open air filter, why is that? I'm running the Steeda. I'm just trying to figure out if the stock box performs better as far as hp gains and ET? if the stock box stays cooler I'd imagine we'd all see improved ETs If that's the case I don't see an open air filter dynoing out higher numbers after three pulls over the stock box??

Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #429
DirtyD

Originally Posted by wbt View Post
If you know how to fit the stock airbox to the CJ intake manifold I am all ears. As is, I am using a custom Airaid setup where I modified a 2012 GT Airaid intake tube to mate to the GT500 TB and Airaid airbox.

kdanner posted some of the technical finding from the testing: http://www.dfw50s.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=404

Keep an eye on those JLT fittings. Eventually they will break if they are not the metal pieces.

We did back to back testing at the track between the stock airbox and the JLT. Both using the same tune minus the changes for the MAF transfer function. There was a .06 difference between the two. That falls within the margin of error. In a nutshell, buy an aftermarket CAI for looks/sound.

The video about IAT's prove nothing. What he doesn't discuss is that when using the stock intake, the IAT's sitting still in traffic will not increase nearly as fast vs. using an aftermarket CAI. We all live in Texas and know how hot it gets here. A DD car will fare much better with the stock intake.

Regarding dyno numbers, dyno'ing with the hood open will show an open air filter producing gains over stock but that is a false positive. The minute the hood closes those gains disappear. We drive our cars with the hood closed, not open.

It is one without the filter stop. The unit I have we tested with is what led the brand "j" owner to put a filter stop on his product.
See, that's what always makes it so hard to swallow about CAIs. Could they be effective? Yes, but not everyone wants to tune their vehicle to support them. I'm sure that a CAI would become beneficial with a matching diameter throttle body, but then you don't know how much the CAI is really doing.

I love the change in exhaust note that mine gave me, and it's a little extra insurance towards my goal of getting a legit 400 rwhp out of my car.

Thanks for the insight, wbt.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #430
DirtyD

Okay with that said let me ask you. You're running an open air filter, why is that? I'm running the Steeda. I'm just trying to figure out if the stock box performs better as far as hp gains and ET? if the stock box stays cooler I'd imagine we'd all see improved ETs If that's the case I don't see an open air filter dynoing out higher numbers after three pulls over the stock box??
The stock box stays cooler long in standing traffic or idle situations. Both will perform about the same under moving airflow conditions.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #431
wbt

I have no choice but to run an aftermarket CAI and I posted why.

Keep dyno's out of the discussion. As I mentioned, that is nothing more than a false positive when comparing CAI's.

Now on track times, the stock airbox will perform just as well as an aftermarket CAI.

Go back and re-read what I posted. It has the answers to everything you are asking again.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #432
DirtyD

Keep dyno's out of the discussion. As I mentioned, that is nothing more than a false positive when comparing CAI's.

Now on track times, the stock airbox will perform just as well as an aftermarket CAI.

Go back and re-read what I posted. It has the answers to everything you are asking again.
I had always assumed the fact that most places that had the hood up for a dyno was just keeping the heat from being trapped under the hood since the car would be under WOT without the aid of airflow across the cat to dissipate some of the heat...never considered that filter padding aspect of it. Even if it's like 2-3 hp. Lol
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #433
Oxford14Stang

Ah man, your right I'm retarded lol mybad.

reason I asked is I wanted to know if the stock cai vs a opened air would perform the same on a dyno hood up hood down doesn't matter. If the stock cai stays cooler Id figure it'd dyno out better numbers resulting in better track times.

so it'd perform just as well as an aftermarket one on hwy rolls ... now it seems to be pointless to have a cai lol

Yep, i'm retarded.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #434
Oxford14Stang

I had always assumed the fact that most places that had the hood up for a dyno was just keeping the heat from being trapped under the hood since the car would be under WOT without the aid of airflow across the cat to dissipate some of the heat...never considered that filter padding aspect of it. Even if it's like 2-3 hp. Lol
Yeah, figured when dynoing they kept hood up to dissipate heat to make it as close to "down the road" temps as possible. I understand we drive with hoods down but we still get air flow that pushes hot air out.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #435
wbt

See, that's what always makes it so hard to swallow about CAIs. Could they be effective? Yes, but not everyone wants to tune their vehicle to support them. I'm sure that a CAI would become beneficial with a matching diameter throttle body, but then you don't know how much the CAI is really doing.

I love the change in exhaust note that mine gave me, and it's a little extra insurance towards my goal of getting a legit 400 rwhp out of my car.

Thanks for the insight, wbt.
You're welcome.

Pretty much all aftermarket CAI's, including the stock intake tube, match up to the 80mm stock TB. The intake manifold opening is ~83mm. Putting an aftermarket TB on that is larger than the intake manifold opening does nothing for power.

You could add aftermarket throttle bodies to the list I posted here for useless upgrades on these platforms:
http://www.dfw50s.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=398

I didn't intend to derail the thread on the technical stuff. We can move it to a more appropriate area if needed.