Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #46
Junkie

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
You'd easily hit 12's if your legs were long enough to pin the go pedal to the floor.

That won't help at all unless they are drag radials. The sidewalls on a regular street radial do not flex therefor do not benefit from lowering air pressure at all.

Also, if you are on regular radials, don't do a burnout in the water box. Drive around it completely avoiding the water. Depending on the tire will depend on what type of burnout you need to do. Some tires if soft enough will benefit from heating them up, but some other stock type tires will just get hot and greasy making traction worse.

Just my opinion..
Doing a small burn out is good regardless, just to at least clean the tire off. Also depending on pressure it is good to lower pressure even on street radials. Lots of us have done a lot of testing with Invos, which are recommended to be at 35+psi but at the track we all do much better with 20-22 in them
Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #47
46Tbird

That won't help at all unless they are drag radials. The sidewalls on a regular street radial do not flex therefor do not benefit from lowering air pressure at all.
Most modern tires recommend 35-45psi for fuel economy and there is NO WAY you're going to be able to hook up on a rock hard 40-series tire with ~400hp and a stick. There is a difference between "take some air out" and "take it down to the air pressure you run in a slick." Most of these guys would get a better launch at ~25psi than they will at 40.

*edit, treed by junkie
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #48
KungFuHamster

Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Doing a small burn out is good regardless, just to at least clean the tire off. Also depending on pressure it is good to lower pressure even on street radials. Lots of us have done a lot of testing with Invos, which are recommended to be at 35+psi but at the track we all do much better with 20-22 in them
I agree a quick spin of the tires is good to knock the rocks off or any accidental moisture the tires may have picked up going around the waterbox. I usually just do a quick spin.

While my times are embarrassing, I can't believe how consistent I/my car was...especially running on street tires with a stickshift. .005 difference between my two passes? that's insane.

113 mph...I should be in the low 12s/high 11's. Oh well. I'll leave the ET on the track and save my tranny. Though I have my answer to my other thread. Screw a blower, I am going to start looking at a magnum swap. What good is 200 extra hp if I run 12's at 125 +mph? That's just foolish.

One thing is for sure. The AUTO is the way to go fast in these cars.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #49
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Most modern tires recommend 35-45psi for fuel economy and there is NO WAY you're going to be able to hook up on a rock hard 40-series tire with ~400hp and a stick. There is a difference between "take some air out" and "take it down to the air pressure you run in a slick." Most of these guys would get a better launch at ~25psi than they will at 40.

*edit, treed by junkie
The idea is to remove the air pressure enough to make as much of the tire as possible contact the pavement. The compound of the tire with how soft/hard it is will create the traction with heat from the burnout. I'm with you there on all of that.

A tire like an Invo that is a real performance tire being a softer compound will benefit from a good burnout. Also, being an aftermarket tire is most likely a larger tire as well. I can definitely see what you are saying applying to that.

I just don't see it applying as well to someone on a stock 235 Pirelli that is a harder compound designed for all seasons and the side wall is not meant to give at all.

I also agree with you that some people let out way too much air on a street radial thinking they are getting the same effect as they would on a slick. The same could be said for a overly inflated tire.

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
I agree a quick spin of the tires is good to knock the rocks off or any accidental moisture the tires may have picked up going around the waterbox. I usually just do a quick spin.

While my times are embarrassing, I can't believe how consistent I/my car was...especially running on street tires with a stickshift. .005 difference between my two passes? that's insane.

113 mph...I should be in the low 12s/high 11's. Oh well. I'll leave the ET on the track and save my tranny. Though I have my answer to my other thread. Screw a blower, I am going to start looking at a magnum swap. What good is 200 extra hp if I run 12's at 125 +mph? That's just foolish.

The auto are definitely much easier to make faster. I agree they are way to go if someone is planning on tracking the car often. But my car is mainly a street car and I still prefer to row gears on the street. Gives more of the drivers experience feeling connected to the car.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #50
blownaltered
I have a small penis

You'd easily hit 12's if your legs were long enough to pin the go pedal to the floor.

blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
Midnight11
El Presidente

Everything is good. Trying to keep stuff offline. Thanks for understanding

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #52
KungFuHamster

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
Everything is good. Trying to keep stuff offline. Thanks for understanding
Nic, what was your best mph saturday night?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #53
Ear rak

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post

*edit, treed by junkie
This.

Taking air out of a street tire is not to make the compound work better, but to let the tire have more give.

All I know is, every time i've gone to the track on street tires, i get better 60 foots with the tires around 24-25 psi compared to 35psi
2009 Mustang GT 5spd - JLT cai, pypes l/t, o/r x-pipe, SW Retro 3" a/b, FRPP shifter, FRPP k springs, FRPP sway bars, FRPP struts/dampners, FRPP strut tower brace, 4.10 gears, and fancy FRPP valve covers
Ear rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #54
Midnight11
El Presidente

Originally Posted by kungfuhamster View Post
nic, what was your best mph saturday night?

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #55
Luke

It was good meeting a few more of you guys. Hopefully next time we all hit the track I'll have the converter in. I can't complain about the track though, with those DR's and 3.15 gears I was surprised the car had enough power to even do the burnout!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
Grandpa
I> /\/\

That's some good mph for a lil 302 with bolt ons.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
KungFuHamster

That's some good mph for a lil 302 with bolt ons.
agreed! That mph is badass for a bolt on car. Perhaps longtubes/boss intake make a bigger difference than I gave them credit for.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #58
Grandpa
I> /\/\

agreed! That mph is badass for a bolt on car. Perhaps longtubes/boss intake make a bigger difference than I gave them credit for.
I know for a fact the longtubes work on these cars. Nic and I raced before his longtubes and we were close. After his longtubes there was an obvious MPH difference because he had a nice steady pull on me from a roll.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #59
Toby

We had a boss out there running 10.50's at 133 mph using the stock 6 speed.. Car has a d-1, fuel system to support, headers, and some control arms. Other wise bone stock suspension with full interior and nothing taken out.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #60
wbt

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
We had a boss out there running 10.50's at 133 mph using the stock 6 speed.. Car has a d-1, fuel system to support, headers, and some control arms. Other wise bone stock suspension with full interior and nothing taken out.
It would have run better times with an auto.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote