Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #31
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Is that a paid hunt you went on for that deer or member of the lease?
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
FastFordDriver

Heh, either way, you pay. My daughter and I did a 4 day/3 night hunt.

I'd lease there but it's too far away. 7 hr drive or so. I believe the leasing starts at over $10k/year or something like that on the Killam Ranch. I leased up until 2011 in Central Texas and a bit in East Texas. Got tired of that crap. Too much work, too many poachers, and too many lease members with no ethics.

Check out my daughter's monster 7 point on THF (no login required):
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...pics/3792394/1

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Is that a paid hunt you went on for that deer or member of the lease?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #33
DirtyD

I shoot to fill the freezer. Is love to have a trophy, but you can't eat the horns and can only stare at them so often/long. Haha
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by FastFordDriver View Post
Heh, either way, you pay. My daughter and I did a 4 day/3 night hunt.

I'd lease there but it's too far away. 7 hr drive or so. I believe the leasing starts at over $10k/year or something like that on the Killam Ranch. I leased up until 2011 in Central Texas and a bit in East Texas. Got tired of that crap. Too much work, too many poachers, and too many lease members with no ethics.

Check out my daughter's monster 7 point on THF (no login required):
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...pics/3792394/1
Damn that's a big ass 7 pointer. If you don't mind me asking how much was that hunt for 4 day/ 3 night hunt?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
FastFordDriver

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I shoot to fill the freezer. Is love to have a trophy, but you can't eat the horns and can only stare at them so often/long. Haha
No problem with that. I assure you that our deer filled the freezer and then some! haha

I used to shoot whatever had horns but if it's under 3 1/2 I don't like to shoot them anymore. Like to let them get some size. Problem with a lease is that not everyone shares my sentiments 8-]
Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #36
FastFordDriver

Damn that's a big ass 7 pointer. If you don't mind me asking how much was that hunt for 4 day/ 3 night hunt?
Not a problem -

That 7 point was a monster - bigger than my 8 point and much cheaper. Go figure 8-]

My hunt was $3000 (for a management deer - scored 148, dressed 155) and my daughter's was $2000 for a "cull" hunt. Yep, that 7 pt is a cull because he's 6 1/2 years old and he's only a 7 point. He dressed at 165. My daughter also shot a doe and a pig. I shot a pig as well. I tipped a total of 15% on top of all that.

All in all - two bucks that dressed out at a combined 320 lbs, a doe, and two pigs. This included 3 nights lodging and more food than you could really eat.

Not all culls are that nice but the sweet thing about that ranch is that nothing under 5 1/2 years old gets shot so you see some pretty good sized deer. On public land or a generic lease in Texas you'll rarely see anything over 3 1/2. You will but it's rare. Antler restrictions help some I think.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #37
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by FastFordDriver View Post
Not a problem -

That 7 point was a monster - bigger than my 8 point and much cheaper. Go figure 8-]

My hunt was $3000 (for a management deer - scored 148, dressed 155) and my daughter's was $2000 for a "cull" hunt. Yep, that 7 pt is a cull because he's 6 1/2 years old and he's only a 7 point. He dressed at 165. My daughter also shot a doe and a pig. I shot a pig as well. I tipped a total of 15% on top of all that.

All in all - two bucks that dressed out at a combined 320 lbs, a doe, and two pigs. This included 3 nights lodging and more food than you could really eat.

Not all culls are that nice but the sweet thing about that ranch is that nothing under 5 1/2 years old gets shot so you see some pretty good sized deer. On public land or a generic lease in Texas you'll rarely see anything over 3 1/2. You will but it's rare. Antler restrictions help some I think.
Very cool. Do you have a link I can go to cause I might look into that for either my wife and me or myself and my dad.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
GunsUp

Yup going to fill the feeders FINALLY sept 21st. And I'm really looking forward to next year cause I get to hunt up in north west Kansas for a whitetail for free.
I still want to help. I'd love to get in the woods this year.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #39
FastFordDriver

Very cool. Do you have a link I can go to cause I might look into that for either my wife and me or myself and my dad.
Sure - http://www.duvalcountyranch.com/home.html

The site is a bit outdated but it has the basic info. I sent you a PM. Call me this evening and I can answer any questions you have!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #40
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Here's us one of the bucks I killed last year.

I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #41
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

And here's the other one I shot 30 mins before the first pic.

I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
jng2985

F the deer right now! Who else limited out on dove sun and mon!
jng2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #43
FastFordDriver

Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
F the deer right now! Who else limited out on dove sun and mon!
I need to buy a shotgun I guess. I love dove hunting (and eating) but haven't done that in a long time.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #44
FastFordDriver

[QUOTE=BLK2012GT;48747]Here's us one of the bucks I killed last year.

Good looking deer - I like the one with the messed up rack. Gives character! Is the left main beam broken? I can't tell for sure. Wonder if he messed it up in the velvet? This year at the DCR, I'm not looking for score really - I want one that's just old and wide with short tines. Think they look cool. Of course, I can't be that choosy - just hope I get lucky and see what I want.

We had a guy on our lease in 2010 shoot a buck and a doe with one bullet! Passed right through the buck. Two deer in 30 minutes will make your day for sure.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #45
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

The beam isn't broken. Yeah he for sure has a weird rack on that side. The rut was on when I shot those two cause I had the 8 pointer laying by the feeder waiting on my buddies to pick me up and that 10 pointer came within 10 feet of the dead one. But I also had tink 69 hanging right by the feeder.