Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #31
Yagermeister

Ditto Doug...ditto
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
FastFordDriver

The 1.52 60' is real good with a manual car - I'm usually around there and dip into the high 1.4x's on occasion but it's not that easy. What was the DA when you ran? Seems like the trap speed is low but maybe you're pulling a bunch of timing in the high heat? I think you'll be in the 6's easy once you get it figured out. ... and get some better air.

Originally Posted by J.Shoot View Post
Well the Boss did ok. We ran the following;

60'. 1/8
1.6. 7.17
1.64. 7.25
1.55. 7.11
1.56. 7.13
1.52. 7.10
1.61. 7.19

This was our first time on slicks. Looking for 6.90's and I know the car can do it, just need cooler weather I think.

J.Shoot
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #33
TrueStreetMotorSports.com
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by Doug1227 View Post
I've never heard someone claim that a centri was at a disadvantage to a PD due to IAT2's! Usually I hear the OPPOSITE!
Normal driving, hwy, stop lights I would agree. The air to air works very well at keeping cool during normal driving and stop and go traffic. But Air to air intercooler have to have air moving across it to cool. At the track sitting in line to make a pass, then doing a burn out, then stage and launch equals no air moving into the intercooler until you start moving. in 100* + days you can image how fast this happens

Air to water has water that is always moving and depending on how big your intercooler reserve tank is your IAT's might not gain more than 5-12* since it has to heat all the water.

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
Ditto Doug...ditto
lol I did not figure you would understand

Next time you go to a race track and see a race car with a turbo,Procharger, 99% of them will always have a air to water system. For one they can pack it with ice and cool IAT below out side temps so they have time to do a burnout and stage before the car starts pulling timing because of heat

TrueStreetMotorSports.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #34
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by TrueStreetMotorSports.com View Post
Normal driving, hwy, stop lights I would agree. The air to air works very well at keeping cool during normal driving and stop and go traffic. But Air to air intercooler have to have air moving across it to cool. At the track sitting in line to make a pass, then doing a burn out, then stage and launch equals no air moving into the intercooler until you start moving. in 100* + days you can image how fast this happens

Air to water has water that is always moving and depending on how big your intercooler reserve tank is your IAT's might not gain more than 5-12* since it has to heat all the water.

Next time you go to a race track and see a race car with a turbo,Procharger, 99% of them will always have a air to water system. For one they can pack it with ice and cool IAT below out side temps so they have time to do a burnout and stage before the car starts pulling timing because of heat

WTF!?!?!?!? That makes complete sense, stop posting crazy talk true facts.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
re-rx7
Banned

Tim nailed it.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #36
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Tim nailed it.
That's Clint
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #37
re-rx7
Banned

My head was in my ass lol. Duh.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #38
Doug1227

YES, a centri isn't getting any cooling effect when not moving, but it's also not generating any real heat like a PD. Granted that the centri isn't cooling anything in the lanes, but neither is the PD. Fluid is circulating, but there's no air movement across the heat exchanger, so the fluid just gets hotter and hotter (heat soak). Heat soak is going to be much more prominent on a PD car than a centri. At least on the centri it starts cooling as you go down the track and you're essentially starting with ambient. On a PD, you're circulating hot ass water as you go down the track! LOL! I've had both and I think a PD makes a LOT more heat, both on the street and the track.

Edit: Obviously, a PD with an A/W with fans, huge reservoir, bag of ice, etc. will cool better, but that's not what ANY of them come with from the manufacturers, so that's a moot point. I'm talking about how they come in the kits.

Last edited by Doug1227; 07-24-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Doug1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #39
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

At least on the centri it starts cooling as you go down the track and you're essentially starting with ambient.

B]

Not correct, when the pass/race starts you will start to get fresh air across the intercooler but you are in boost heat is even greater from that point on. There is no intercooler, watercooler on the market that will cool off to ambient temps once boost starts. Once in boost Intake air temps will continue to heat up until there is no boost present and air flow is run across the intercooler water or air to air for a giving amount of time.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #40
KungFuHamster

my vortech car ET'ed and MPH'ed the same pass after pass with minimal cool down and no intercooler (on a 2V car 10 years ago). thats centrifugal efficiency.

so if the A/W is so much more efficient, then why do all the factory PD blower cars heat soak so much? the water is still circulating. but once the water heats up, then it can't absorb anymore heat. its the same as the A/A car sitting there with no air flowing over it. I watched a Cadillac CTS-V lose .4 and 7 mph due to heat soak on his 2nd pass. The car was down on power the whole time we were at the track due to heat soak. We all know this...terminators, lightnings, ZL1, etc.

The centrifugals are the more efficient blowers, and while the twin screws are more efficient than the roots and TVS blowers, they still generate more heat per lb of boost. it's always been that way.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #41
Doug1227

Clint, what's your take on A/A vs. A/W as they come from the supercharger vendors? As they come in the kits?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #42
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Clint, what's your take on A/A vs. A/W as they come from the supercharger vendors? As they come in the kits?
They both have there plus and minus, But Im a big fan of the Air to air of the prochargers, IAT are at ambient when driving anything over 25-30mph (no boost)

The air to water tend to run a little warmer but not much with water taking more time to remove heat once hot. Both systems are great in the own right.

the only reason for my earlier post was for testing we have done. I was not posting a Kenne Bell vs Procharger thread. Just how in extreme heat the air to air preforms poorly when run at the track, driving through staging lanes, waiting, staging, burnout, ect. No air flow during this time means no cooling equals high IAT's.

Think of it this way, The blower is like a hair dryer. They blow HOT HOT air, you take a aluminum box and stick the hair dryer in it your temps are going to rise. Basically with a air to air this is what is happening when no air flow is present.

So with a air to water intercooler. lets say we have water running in front of the hair drier before the air can get into the box. The water is going to prolong the heat for a short while. the water will also continue to rise but at a slower rate. it will also cool at a slower rate once airflow is present. Both will be hottest by the end of the race.

Here is a air to air without air being present

Here is a air to water, just going to take more time to heat up the water

Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #43
JDMLOL

They both have there plus and minus, But Im a big fan of the Air to air of the prochargers, IAT are at ambient when driving anything over 25-30mph (no boost)

The air to water tend to run a little warmer but not much with water taking more time to remove heat once hot. Both systems are great in the own right.

the only reason for my earlier post was for testing we have done. I was not posting a Kenne Bell vs Procharger thread. Just how in extreme heat the air to air preforms poorly when run at the track, driving through staging lanes, waiting, staging, burnout, ect. No air flow during this time means no cooling equals high IAT's.

Think of it this way, The blower is like a hair dryer. They blow HOT HOT air, you take a aluminum box and stick the hair dryer in it your temps are going to rise. Basically with a air to air this is what is happening when no air flow is present.

So with a air to water intercooler. lets say we have water running in front of the hair drier before the air can get into the box. The water is going to prolong the heat for a short while. the water will also continue to rise but at a slower rate. it will also cool at a slower rate once airflow is present. Both will be hottest by the end of the race...
Great analogy. This may be a stupid question or idea. Do they make air to air with e-fans to move air through them while you're parked, doing burnouts, etc..

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #44
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Great analogy. This may be a stupid question or idea. Do they make air to air with e-fans to move air through them while you're parked, doing burnouts, etc..
this is a great idea and does work well. But the down side to having fans there is they move air effectively up to 35-45mph, after that they are a restriction and in the way of faster speeds. If the car was going to be a track car this would help on both air to air and air to water.

this also helps a ton!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
Toby

The advantage of the air to water at the track is the ability to put ice in the reservoir an get the iat below ambient. Air to air you cannot do that without an inter cooler sprayer.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote