Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #61
kdanner

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
I guess not. Mine was in an '89 and usually didn't get above 5500 lol
Yeah that'd make a difference. Above 7000 the 3550/TKO gets uncooperative, and the 6060/Magnum does too.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #62
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
I guess not. Mine was in an '89 and usually didn't get above 5500 lol
At high RPM's the early model T5 and Tremec's suffered from the cases flexing. A lot of times when people thought it was power breaking them it was really the high RPM's. Same the with blocks. Harmonics were a killer with the cheap stock'ish type parts.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #63
Dan12GT

I love my manual (mt-82) and wouldn't have it any other way. To me a muscle car MUST come with a manual transmission its just part of the equation when it comes to owning one. I will never own a car with more than 300hp without a manual transmission. That's just my opinion on what I like, and I think most can agree. I have also been driving manuals since I learned to drive so I am a bit bias.

I would only own an auto in my wife's car (Nissan Altima 4cyl.) or if I was a hard core drag racer. I am not a hard core drag racer and never will be so all my muscle cars no matter how heavily modified will be manuals.

The MT-82 is also NOT a racing transmission at any length. A definite slight short coming with Ford when you look at what the motor is capable of but again if you are not heavily modified and don't beat the shit out of it the MT-82 it is perfect for what the car is as it comes from the factory, which ford intended its use for.

If you complain it won't hold hold up to 700hp, 5500rpm launches, or WOT shifting well no SHIT!

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #64
Crimson600+HP

Right now I get to play the game on how long the stock clutch is going to last with my P1SC on. Each have transmissions have their perks, but unless Ford drops a paddle shifting single/dual clutch automatic that is good (not the rocker switch crap, don't flame about that comment), you won't see me in one.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #65
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
I love my manual (mt-82) and wouldn't have it any other way. To me a muscle car MUST come with a manual transmission its just part of the equation when it comes to owning one. I will never own a car with more than 300hp without a manual transmission. That's just my opinion on what I like, and I think most can agree. I have also been driving manuals since I learned to drive so I am a bit bias.

I would only own an auto in my wife's car (Nissan Altima 4cyl.) or if I was a hard core drag racer. I am not a hard core drag racer and never will be so all my muscle cars no matter how heavily modified will be manuals.

The MT-82 is also NOT a racing transmission at any length. A definite slight short coming with Ford when you look at what the motor is capable of but again if you are not heavily modified and don't beat the shit out of it the MT-82 it is perfect for what the car is as it comes from the factory, which ford intended its use for.

If you complain it won't hold hold up to 700hp, 5500rpm launches, or WOT shifting well no SHIT!

Sounds like the T5 of the 6speeds lol
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #66
GTOphil

I've had 5 "performance" cars (not all were muscle cars) and this is the ONLY auto I've had.

I'm happy.

I got tired of buying clutches, traffic and the tediousness of it on a daily basis.

Love the 5.0 (though it needs more power) and am really enjoying this auto. It's a GREAT cruiser- took a summer trip to St. Louis and back and got just over 26 mpg with an extra 500 lbs in it on a stock tune.
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #67
unit_three

I drove stick for 10 consecutive years from the age of 18 until I was 28. My car is an auto now and I don't really care what other people think. Only one guy gave me shit about it but he drove an older V6 so I told him he could talk crap about my car the day he has one faster. Shut him right up.
unit_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #68
Doug1227

I really enjoy driving a manual. For me, it was more about the 6r80 being a better transmission than the mt82. Like mentioned above, I knew I wouldn't have to put a clutch in it or worry about breaking it. Hell, I even picked the power adder that was most suited to not having to mess with it ( add a converter) etc. If they offered a bullet proof manual with a perfect clutch, I probably would have chosen it instead.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #69
GTRacerX

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
There is a difference between a muscle car and an exotic. A paddle shift is ok for an exotic as it is part of the exotic experience. A muscle car should be a standard.
Agreed, I would never buy a muscle car or any sports car with an automatic transmission if I had the choice.
GTRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #70
fordplay

I agree with crimson, if Ford sources a paddle shift from Ferrari or Lamborghini I'm in for an auto, till then.. dang there are few things in life that compare to the fun of driving a good manual trans in a powerful car, and the mt82 in my car has never hung up or locked me out, and compared to the old manuals its light years ahead, its a shorty stock, it has internal stops and it shifts like butter. You can't replace the feeling of sitting at a light with one hand on the shifter and feeling the engine vibrate and occasionally shudder under your hand, or launching off that light and getting all excited for that redline-lift-clutch-second-dump-throttle.. moment where you and the car breathe and move as one.. or the heel toe downshift when you stick it perfect going into that turn and the up shift as you power out of it...
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #71
GTOphil

OR...that moment when you have an aftermarket clutch and you sit in 45 minutes of stop and go traffic with a 400 + hp muscle car doing nothing but wondering about how much clutch life you're sacrificing to have a "man's car"....
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #72
fordplay

No, that does not bother me, its like worrying about the tires every time you launch or slide a corner, just the price of business, like killing spiders for women, and guys that drive automatic muscle cars!!! Ooohh cheap shot sorry!! Ha ha. We all have our preference, there is nothing wrong with either, just passionate people on both side of the fence. Just to prove no hard feelings us manual guys will climb over the fence to shake your hands, because we know you auto guys can't climb a fence due to bad hips and knees, because otherwise you'd own a manual!!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #73
five.slow

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
OR...that moment when you have an aftermarket clutch and you sit in 45 minutes of stop and go traffic with a 400 + hp muscle car doing nothing but wondering about how much clutch life you're sacrificing to have a "man's car"....
more like when is my leg gonna give out...

i love having a stick car but for me its just getting a little old. if we take the car anywhere and i decided i dont wanna drive or have a beer i cant because my wife cant drive a stick car for shit.
five.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #74
fordplay

So then teach her!!! I just called my insurance company and got my discount for owning a stick shift!! That's a thing now!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #75
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
So then teach her!!! I just called my insurance company and got my discount for owning a stick shift!! That's a thing now!!
So insurance companies are giving Mustang owners a discount since they will have more frequent repair costs with manuals... pretty cool :P.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote