Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Suspension

Suspension Post up questions about your Mustang's suspension or ride quality

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
DarkHorse1350

Default SR Lowereing Springs & J&M Panhard Bar for 2011+ GT's

Hey guys and gals, I wanted to share my opinion about my recently installed SR lowering springs and J&M PH bar. I won't bore you with the install play by play as there are SEVERAL great "how to" posts with great pics to help you. I want to focus on the quality and my impression of these products since I couldn't find much info using the search feature here specifically for this combo.

The SR Springs (in my opinion) are GREAT option for those folks that are on a budget but still want all the offerings that come from lowering your car. These springs have a progressive rate spring (please someone correct me if I am wrong on this) which means that as they compress they get stiffer, which I can confirm is the case. over all drop is advertised at 1.5 inches, I am not quite there yet but once they settle I expect to be VERY close to that.
These springs may not have the track performance of a set of Eibachs or H&R's but for a 99% street car they will work well and give you that sleek look you are looking for. They come with a blue powder coating so they look just like Ford Racing springs.

I went with the aluminum J&M adjustable bar strictly for the weight savings, the steel bar is the same price so why not save a few pounds right?? Install is pretty much a rip and replace (look up the how to if you are curious on the process). On car adjustment is a little complicated versus say a BMR bar simply because of the location of the jam nuts and the bracket for the bar. J&M uses threaded ends and BMR uses an adjustable section in the middle of the bar. Again for a street car I think this is a great affordable option to get the rear end centered after you lower your Stang. Bar comes coated in a nice silver color with poly bushings and zirks (zyrks?) fittings for future greasing.

Over all I have less than $300 invested in this set up and could not be happier with the results. So if your looking for an affordable lowering set up I recommend these parts and I will probably purchase more SR suspension parts over time based on this experience.

Hope this helps some of you looking to lower your car but don't want to have $500+ wrapped up in the project. If you have any questions please let me know.

Pics...

You must be fast cause you were haulin azz when I passed you!!

2007 Mustang GT Black with Gold Racing Stripes"Goldie", 5 Speed, 3.55 Gears, SVE Lowering Springs, JLT CAI, Roush Axle Backs, Bama Tuned! **SOLD**

2013 Mustang GT, Deep Impact Blue, 6 speed, 3.73's, GT500 Axle Backs, JLT Oil Catch Can, Sound Tube Deleted, SR Lowering Springs, J&M Panhard Bar

Last edited by DarkHorse1350; 07-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.
DarkHorse1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
gordelis

Great review. Do you have bigger pictures by any chance?

Candy Red 2011 Mustang GT Coupe
GT500 Mufflers, 20" Giovanna PortoFino, Pedestal Spoiler, Saleen Grille, Boss front valance, Decklid Panel, Steeda Struts/Shocks, SR Springs, J&M Caster/Camber Plates and J&M Panhard Bar.

Next Mods:
CAI, Tune
gordelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
DarkHorse1350

Any better?

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

2007 Mustang GT Black with Gold Racing Stripes"Goldie", 5 Speed, 3.55 Gears, SVE Lowering Springs, JLT CAI, Roush Axle Backs, Bama Tuned! **SOLD**

2013 Mustang GT, Deep Impact Blue, 6 speed, 3.73's, GT500 Axle Backs, JLT Oil Catch Can, Sound Tube Deleted, SR Lowering Springs, J&M Panhard Bar
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
gordelis

Much better. Lol Beautiful ride. Really like the color.

GT500 Mufflers, 20" Giovanna PortoFino, Pedestal Spoiler, Saleen Grille, Boss front valance, Decklid Panel, Steeda Struts/Shocks, SR Springs, J&M Caster/Camber Plates and J&M Panhard Bar.

Next Mods:
CAI, Tune
Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Oxford14Stang

Looks great, I was just wondering about the same pan hard bar. Weather to use steel or the aluminum or to even use J&M at all. Still no complaints? How often do you take it to the track? Or put a toll on the suspension?

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
DarkHorse1350

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
Looks great, I was just wondering about the same pan hard bar. Weather to use steel or the aluminum or to even use J&M at all. Still no complaints? How often do you take it to the track? Or put a toll on the suspension?
Haven't been to the track yet with the new setup, but I plan to soon.

Would I use this bar again? Yes and no, yes because it is a VERY well built piece...once you set it up correctly of course. No, because if you are looking to have easy adjustments I would recommend BMR or Stallion with the mid bar adjusters. I feel that the solid bar is a sturdier piece so I can live with the adjusters on the ends.

I have had to take this bar off 3 different times to readjust but none were the bars fault, just me being a noob when it comes to adjustable suspension parts. I finally decided to use lock-tite on the lock nuts and have not had any rattles since and the body over axle alignment has not moved. I will be adding a 90* zirks fitting to the drivers side bushing housing to make for easier greasing when the time comes but that is no big deal.

Short answer is yes, I am still happy and would do it all over again.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
DirtyD

Originally Posted by DarkHorse1350 View Post
Haven't been to the track yet with the new setup, but I plan to soon.

Would I use this bar again? Yes and no, yes because it is a VERY well built piece...once you set it up correctly of course. No, because if you are looking to have easy adjustments I would recommend BMR or Stallion with the mid bar adjusters. I feel that the solid bar is a sturdier piece so I can live with the adjusters on the ends.

I have had to take this bar off 3 different times to readjust but none were the bars fault, just me being a noob when it comes to adjustable suspension parts. I finally decided to use lock-tite on the lock nuts and have not had any rattles since and the body over axle alignment has not moved. I will be adding a 90* zirks fitting to the drivers side bushing housing to make for easier greasing when the time comes but that is no big deal.

Short answer is yes, I am still happy and would do it all over again.
I need to do the locktite on the nuts of my Freedom Racing bar. It's moved on me 3 times now, and I have to adjust it again...PITA....
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
DarkHorse1350

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I need to do the locktite on the nuts of my Freedom Racing bar. It's moved on me 3 times now, and I have to adjust it again...PITA....
I used the red "heavy duty" version but I am sure any of them will work.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
maxpayne

Reviving this thread.

OP - how are the SR Springs holding up?

Does anyone have an opinion on these springs? The drop is 1.5" front and back. They retail for $179.99. Here is the link.http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-0513gt.html

They seem like a good balance between cost and looks. I know the performance is definitely not the best; but, I have the opportunity to buy a brand new set that has never been used for super, super cheap (like $50). Also, my 5.0 is just a DD, and I don't require extreme performance at this juncture.

Thoughts?

Last edited by maxpayne; 11-14-2013 at 04:38 PM.
maxpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
gordelis

I have them in my car for about 3000 miles and I'm happy so far.

Next Mods:
CAI, Tune
Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
maxpayne

Okay sweet. I just really hope a 1.5 much drop all the way around doesn't make my 18 by 10 wheels and 285 tires rub the fender well as they are already pretty damn close.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Bacadiesel

I've had sr springs for also about 4-5000 miles. I think they are good springs. I did notice the ride got harder over bumps but I'm also on stock shocks
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
DarkHorse1350

Originally Posted by maxpayne View Post
Reviving this thread.

OP - how are the SR Springs holding up?

Does anyone have an opinion on these springs? The drop is 1.5" front and back. They retail for $179.99. Here is the link.http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-0513gt.html

They seem like a good balance between cost and looks. I know the performance is definitely not the best; but, I have the opportunity to buy a brand new set that has never been used for super, super cheap (like $50). Also, my 5.0 is just a DD, and I don't require extreme performance at this juncture.

Thoughts?
For a good DD car I don't think it gets much better than these spring. I will say that they will probably benefit greatly from a good set of shocks as the stockers are working harder than they should and will be replaced much sooner than if you were still rolling the factory springs.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
DarkHorse1350

Originally Posted by Bacadiesel View Post
I've had sr springs for also about 4-5000 miles. I think they are good springs. I did notice the ride got harder over bumps but I'm also on stock shocks
I am having the same issues. I cant wait to update the shocks when the time (I mean money) allows.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Dominic Toretto

OP did your J&M panhard bar allow you to perfectly center your axle? I have the same item and my driver side is about 1/2inch out and the passenger side is about 1/2inch in. I plan to swap to a BMR part but for now, no one can tell.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote