Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Suspension

Suspension Post up questions about your Mustang's suspension or ride quality

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
03MachMe

Originally Posted by Fair View Post
They are made to work with the stock top mounts as well - we just package them with springs + camber plates and pre-assemble it all. We can sell them without the plates or springs, too.
awesome! I will be contacting yall for just the shocks/ struts soon. are they adjustable?

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
DirtyD

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
awesome! I will be contacting yall for just the shocks/ struts soon. are they adjustable?
based on the hole in the top of the piston and the size of the piston shaft compared to the stock strut, I think they are.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
modernbeat

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
No, but because they use a large piston in a monotube construction they don't have to be adjustable to offer the same (or better) performance as an entry level adjustable.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Kaane

Fair any reason you don't like KW?
Kaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
03MachMe

Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
No, but because they use a large piston in a monotube construction they don't have to be adjustable to offer the same (or better) performance as an entry level adjustable.
ah I know you guys know your stuff so I'll trust you on this one.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
DirtyD

Are those the bilstien pro series or something like that in which there is a self valving disk of some sort inside that controls the rebound and dampening pretty much by itself?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
modernbeat

Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
Fair any reason you don't like KW?
The commonly available KW V-series and ST-series are twin tube dampers with fairly small pistons. That's the issue with the KW series.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
modernbeat

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Are those the bilstien pro series or something like that in which there is a self valving disk of some sort inside that controls the rebound and dampening pretty much by itself?
No, you might be thinking of the Koni FSD, another crutch for a twin tube to make them work on the street while providing some performance.

The large body Bilsteins are a simple damper. There are no gimmicks. Their performance comes from having a large diameter piston. By using a large piston there is a large amount of flow through the piston at very low suspension speeds. That large amount of flow allows a normal shim stack (valving) to have both a finer and greater effect on the damping force. We can build a great digressive curve that builds force very quickly with a very flat blowoff past the knee by using a large piston. When using a small piston, like most twin tubes, we can either build force quickly, or blow it off cleanly, but not both.

This simple construction also contributes to the longevity of the damper. Fewer moving parts that have to be built to extreme tolerances, and more robust seals will help any damper last longer.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
DirtyD

No, you might be thinking of the Koni FSD, another crutch for a twin tube to make them work on the street while providing some performance.

The large body Bilsteins are a simple damper. There are no gimmicks. Their performance comes from having a large diameter piston. By using a large piston there is a large amount of flow through the piston at very low suspension speeds. That large amount of flow allows a normal shim stack (valving) to have both a finer and greater effect on the damping force. We can build a great digressive curve that builds force very quickly with a very flat blowoff past the knee by using a large piston. When using a small piston, like most twin tubes, we can either build force quickly, or blow it off cleanly, but not both.

This simple construction also contributes to the longevity of the damper. Fewer moving parts that have to be built to extreme tolerances, and more robust seals will help any damper last longer.
Man, talk about knowing your stuff. :bowdown:

I'm prepared for the worst, but can I ask you opinion on the Tokico D-Specs for a simple street/DD application with the possibility of AutoX in the future?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
modernbeat

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Man, talk about knowing your stuff. :bowdown:

I'm prepared for the worst, but can I ask you opinion on the Tokico D-Specs for a simple street/DD application with the possibility of AutoX in the future?
I haven't worked with them on the S197, but in my experience with them on Subarus I'd only put them on a car I didn't care about. Again, they are twin tubes and they don't have the best longevity.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
DirtyD

I haven't worked with them on the S197, but in my experience with them on Subarus I'd only put them on a car I didn't care about. Again, they are twin tubes and they don't have the best longevity.
Fair enough. The long term plan is for a setup like y'all have with the Bilstiens or go with coilovers...but I needed something besides the stock struts on my BMR springs to give me a little better ride and some adjustability when I'd like it.

I have a lot of learning to do about suspension stuff...which I'm sure will take years.