Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #46
donutninja

The cheapness is with anything, really. When I was in the Nissan scene you had $1500 cars with $8k worth of quality parts and $1500 cars with the same mods for $2000 because they went eBay and knockoff.

I had no problem going knock off on my s13 because it was a weekend warrior that was down more than it was running. It was a fun track car.

My mustang, a V6, is my daily but still AutoX toy and this go around I'm going all quality tried and tested parts. I'm also a little better off than I was 6 years ago. I do wish there was a little more support of the 3.7L, though.
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #47
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Yet again, you're exaggerating for effect. My point is that people buy these nice cars and then cheap out on important things like a quality tune. I don't give a shit if you bought some cheap cast wheels from AM or not. That's your decision that you went with that works best for you and your budget. But there is things you don't skimp on that is anything that has to do with engine management and longevity.
Regardless of the exxageration, you got the point friend .

And I agree about a tune but, it's not like you're gauranteed a perfect tune from anyone so why knock single out American Muscle? You can go anywhere and potentially receive a crappy tune. How many people here have had to go back more than once to tuners for a retune? Are some more or less reliable than others? Sure but, that is hardly a promise.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #48
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post

And I agree about a tune but, it's not like you're gauranteed a perfect tune from anyone so why knock single out American Muscle? You can go anywhere and potentially receive a crappy tune. How many people here have had to go back more than once to tuners for a retune? Are some more or less reliable than others? Sure but, that is hardly a promise.

-Alex
I'm not singling out AM, but was commenting to Danner's comment about the cheap tuners such as AM/Bama etc being pushed out of the market. Eventually you will see in time the shabby shortcuts those guys do with their tunes. It will be very eye opening for you.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #49
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
I'm not singling out AM, but was commenting to Danner's comment about the cheap tuners such as AM/Bama etc being pushed out of the market. Eventually you will see in time the shabby shortcuts those guys do with their tunes. It will be very eye opening for you.
I don't have one, my car is still stock and under warranty! Hooray for me!

My understanding of who can/can't afford a car is if it breaks you either can/can't afford to fix it. I can afford to fix anything I have done already, engine/transmission, nope. That's why they are stock. I won't mess with tuning and power mods until I can afford deal with down time and/or thousands in repairs. To me, no matter how great a shop's work is, they still aren't responsible for effing something up. So you have to be.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #50
DirtyD

Bama offers cookie cutter tunes. They have certain parameters that likely never change depending on each car. Tune "A" for a stock car. Tune "B" for a stock car with intake. Tune "C" for stock car with intake no cats, etc. They input the handheld device information, your car's stradegy code, and send you the tune file. More often than not that tune is not greater than a baseline tune from a reputable tuner, but the owner doesn't recognize that or take the time to check the tune out.

My analogy for it. You don't go out and buy a "cookie cutter" subdivision home for $100k and expect the quality of fit & finish to be on par or exceeding that of a house built next door with better quality materials for $180k.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #51
kdanner

-Alex
I know you don't do the same thing with your car that I do, and probably have no interest in doing so, and that's fine. Let me explain my perspective though. I constantly have people looking for nitrous on my car, or asking what kind of blower it has on it, things like that. I put the parts on there that I think are going to make it the fastest. Sometimes I get that wrong, and if I do that part gets replaced. Yeah I get the funny looks about having a 30" tire on there, about the car sitting so high, about it being so plain with no spoiler and a regular GT front fascia and grille with no fogs, the front wheels being tucked in, "I'm crazy for spending a grand on a water pump", things like that. Those who question how it runs like it does have some of the answers right in front of their faces, but can't see past their own need to have the same heavy racestar wheels as everyone else, the same heavy MT tires as everyone else, the same 60' ruining lowering springs as everyone else, the same ABC tooner on forum XYZ as everyone else, etc, etc. Hmmm, maybe that is why their cars all run the same? The good stuff costs more, but to me the performance is worth it. AM is certainly not the only place, Latemodel sells a ton of cheap wheels too, are they still selling crappy BBR tunes also? Those places sell some quality stuff too, but small quantities compared to what they really are known for selling. You'd have to think the #1 sold thing for these cars is cheap black wheels from those 2 places, and they're making a killing pumping them out the door every day.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #52
Dominic Toretto

Well said kdanner.

I definitely get your point and your car is built a different way than mine. I just want to be pretty and don't care about setting a record. Your car did set a record I believe. Anyways, you are crazy, in a good way though.

-Alex

Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #53
kdanner

No records for me. Maybe when the Cobra Jet build is done I can go set an NHRA record, but I wouldn't count on it, it's a tough game over there.

I never claimed to not be crazy.

Well said kdanner.

I definitely get your point and your car is built a different way than mine. I just want to be pretty and don't care about setting a record. Your car did set a record I believe. Anyways, you are crazy, in a good way though.

-Alex
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #54
DirtyD

I can see where Latemodel and AM are coming from though. The Mustang is the most modified car in the US, owned by kids in high school to men in their 60s, maybe even 70s. They are there to provide decent quality parts for those looking to modify their cars on a budget.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #55
STROKD
Old School

I still never see chicks driving Mustang GTs... EVER. I dont gaf what Ford says... maybe they buy them and make their husbands drive them around in it... that I could see.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #56
5PointSlow

Default April's general chat/ post whore thread

I once got a blowey from a chick that owned a mustang while driving my mustang. Does that count?

SOLD!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium
Roush TVS/JLT Big Air
Stainless Works Long Tubes and catted X.
Magnaflow Competition Catback
AED Tuned
***Driver Mod***
10.88@134 on street tires
5PointSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #57
Crimson600+HP

I tried to get my truck with a bench seat in order to facilitate getting blowey's. Center consoles are great, but sure make it difficult for that.

For those who hate douchebag parkers.

http://happyplace.someecards.com/305...-and-effective
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!

Last edited by Crimson600+HP; 04-11-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote