Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Boss949

Default Supercharging the Boss

I've really been considering adding F/I.

Considering my driving style and the type of racing (1/8 1/4) I'm leaning towards the Whipple/Roush/VMP . Not a DD and I know some think I should have bought a Shelby, but I didn't want one; wanted the Boss 302.

I know there's some really fast GT's here. Any Boss owners who have done this also. I believe the Roadrunner 5.0 has a lot of potential that can be unleashed with the right blower.

Thanks
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.
Boss949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Boss949 View Post
I've really been considering adding F/I.

Considering my driving style and the type of racing (1/8 1/4) I'm leaning towards the Whipple/Roush/VMP . Not a DD and I know some think I should have bought a Shelby, but I didn't want one; wanted the Boss 302.

I know there's some really fast GT's here. Any Boss owners who have done this also. I believe the Roadrunner 5.0 has a lot of potential that can be unleashed with the right blower.

Thanks
Justin's personal Boss just made 837rw with his VMP blower. Now that is BOSS!

Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
PLASMAN

Hit up Eric Wood on the FB page, he has a 13 LS Boss with a TVS and a small shot of NOS. I'm sure he would be glad to show you his car and take you for a ride, that car is no joke lol
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
rlhay2

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Justin's personal Boss just made 837rw with his VMP blower. Now that is BOSS!
VMP's numbers are rather optimistic and not at all the norm for those mods.
They make good parts but their numbers are always taken "under ideal conditions".
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
PLASMAN

Originally Posted by rlhay2 View Post
They make good parts but their numbers are always taken "under ideal conditions".
Welcome Ronnie....
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
VNMOUS1

Originally Posted by rlhay2 View Post
This was done to show the full potential of the kit on a Boss. Shell URT and more timing than you'd run in a DD. Average for a VMP TVS supercharged Coyote is 600-650 rwhp on a" driver " tune.

Hi Ronnie.
(321) 206-9369 x 112
VNMOUS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
rlhay2

Hey Guys!

Originally Posted by VNMOUS1 View Post
This was done to show the full potential of the kit on a Boss. Shell URT and more timing than you'd run in a DD. Average for a VMP TVS supercharged Coyote is 600-650 rwhp on a" driver " tune.
And this is exactly why I suggest contacting BJ for street based mod motor modifications. Straight, concise info with no BS!
Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Jshoot has a boss with a D1 procharger on it. Ran 10.5's I believe. He's doing some other stuff to it and should be good for low 10's.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
J.Shoot

Default Boss w/ D1

I have a D1 on my Boss and have really enjoyed it. My quickest 1/4 is 10.5 @ 131 mph, I ran a 10.53 and 10.57 the same night. I drive the car on the street so I like the way the D1 performs on the street. I like the standard transmission also. I know an auto would be alot faster at the track, just not sure if I would want to do that or not. I feel quite sure I will be faced with that decision this year. We (TS) rebuilt the bottom end and are doing a few minor details to the car now. Ready to get it rolling and back in my garage.
Good luck on your project.

J.Shoot
2013 Boss 302 #2602
D1 Procharger
So many mods I can't remember them all.
Built and Tuned by True Street

J.Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Boss949

Originally Posted by J.Shoot View Post
I have a D1 on my Boss and have really enjoyed it. My quickest 1/4 is 10.5 @ 131 mph, I ran a 10.53 and 10.57 the same night. I drive the car on the street so I like the way the D1 performs on the street. I like the standard transmission also. I know an auto would be alot faster at the track, just not sure if I would want to do that or not. I feel quite sure I will be faced with that decision this year. We (TS) rebuilt the bottom end and are doing a few minor details to the car now. Ready to get it rolling and back in my garage.
Good luck on your project.

J.Shoot

Thanks for your input. I've seen your car on another Forum and have been wanting to ask you about it. 10.5's are great numbers for sure. I've really been enjoying the research on the blowers. Right now I'm leaning to Roush (Shaun @AED really likes the PD better and I really like his tunes). But I'm also intrigued with the Centri's. I know how my car is off the line and the power band of the centri's is appealing. Anyway, I guess it's not unusual to to get confused over this stuff!!
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
J.Shoot

Default Research....

I did alot of research before we decided to go with the Procharger. I called shops, looked at forums, read articles. All of the systems have advantages and disadvantages. I guess the biggest reason we went with the centri was for ability to drive on the street. I think you can make all of them fast, it just takes the right combination. I have a race coming up in the near future with a guy running a PD blower. (he's a little more hp and torque than I am). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Holler at me if you want any info about what I have done to our Boss..

I talked to Shaun also before we did any work to our Boss. He doesn't like the centri's at all. lol.......

Good luck.
J.Shoot
2013 Boss 302 #2602
D1 Procharger

Old 12-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
2011gt/cs

I did alot of research before we decided to go with the Procharger. I called shops, looked at forums, read articles. All of the systems have advantages and disadvantages. I guess the biggest reason we went with the centri was for ability to drive on the street. I think you can make all of them fast, it just takes the right combination. I have a race coming up in the near future with a guy running a PD blower. (he's a little more hp and torque than I am). I'll let you know how it turns out.

I talked to Shaun also before we did any work to our Boss. He doesn't like the centri's at all. lol.......

Good luck.
J.Shoot
Just curious, why did you choose the procharger over the paxton/vortech?
2011gt/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Boss949

Good luck.
J.Shoot
So, did Shaun relent and tune it?

It doesn't take long to get to 3-4K . When/Where, do feel the boost kick in?

thanks.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
J.Shoot

Default ProCharger

Originally Posted by 2011gt/cs View Post
Just curious, why did you choose the procharger over the paxton/vortech?
I like the idea of the unit located to the side and running on its own belt. Also the installation required less modification for the ProCharger vs. the others, (just my understanding.)

J.Shoot
2013 Boss 302 #2602
D1 Procharger

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
J.Shoot

Default ProCharger

Originally Posted by Boss949 View Post
So, did Shaun relent and tune it?

It doesn't take long to get to 3-4K . When/Where, do feel the boost kick in?

thanks.
No Shaun didn't tune it. True Street does "all" of my work. I've been really happy with everything they've done.
You really feel the car come to life around 3500.

J.Shoot
2013 Boss 302 #2602
D1 Procharger