Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Joey289

Default Loud banging under car when hard rain...

2013 5.0 6-speed Manual
All stock except for cat back
9,200 miles

This morning was the 2nd really hard rain I have driven in where there was standing water on the road. I get this really loud banging noise after having to drive through a few of the water puddles. It is very hard to pin point because these cars are very loud inside when raining hard.

It seems to do it when I accelerate and it almost feels like the car is not accelerating as it should when it happens. Also, when I pulled into my parking spot this morning (hard left with clutch pushed in) it did it.

It only does this when it is raining hard enough for water to collect on the roadways. Therefore it is very hard to reproduce it.

Anybody got any ideas?
Joey289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

How weird. That's going to be difficult to guess without actually hearing it unfortunately.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
zemog255

Advance trac may be kicking in. Its hard to tell without actually hearing the noise. If its still raining on the way home turn advance trac off and see if you can reproduce it. Ive noticed it will make kinda of a clunking sound when it kicks in sometimes.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Joey289

Originally Posted by zemog255 View Post
Advance trac may be kicking in. Its hard to tell without actually hearing the noise. If its still raining on the way home turn advance trac off and see if you can reproduce it. Ive noticed it will make kinda of a clunking sound when it kicks in sometimes.
Mmm maybe ... which would make sense if you hit a puddle that is enough to cause some slight hydroplaning.

It has only happened twice now. Althought the first time it did it , it lasted for the last 2 miles home. I honestly thought my exhaust had dropped down and was dragging across the road. Got home looked under the car and everything was fine. Went in changed and took it for a test drive and couldn't make it do it.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Joey289

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How weird. That's going to be difficult to guess without actually hearing it unfortunately.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Oxford14Stang

Agreeded. As traction control kicks in on my car it makes a noise and bogs hard. Not so sure about the "loud" bang noise.

Last edited by Oxford14Stang; 06-17-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Joey289

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
Agreeded. As reaction control kicks in on my car it makes a noise and bogs hard. Not so sure about the "loud" bang noise.
This has no bog with it like you get with the traction control. The banging sounds like it is coming from transmission forward and on the right side. (But again very hard to pinpoint). Sounds/feels like a monkey hitting the underside of car with hammer.

The first time it happened 3 things ran through my mind:

1)exhaust came loose and was dragging ( obviously it wasn't when I checked)
2)Extreme exhaust leak ( I checked all exhaust clamps when on lift and all were tight)
3) really really really bad clutch chatter ( doesn't make sense when turning left into parking spot when clutch is pushed in and on the brakes though).

Last edited by Joey289; 06-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
zemog255

Originally Posted by Joey289 View Post
Mmm maybe ... which would make sense if you hit a puddle that is enough to cause some slight hydroplaning.

It has only happened twice now. Althought the first time it did it , it lasted for the last 2 miles home. I honestly thought my exhaust had dropped down and was dragging across the road. Got home looked under the car and everything was fine. Went in changed and took it for a test drive and couldn't make it do it.
If its making the noise for that long its not advace trac. Its weird it only does it randomly in the rain. If it was consistent when it gets wet that would atleast make it alittle easier to pinpoint.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Grandpa
I> /\/\

That would explain why I've never heard it because I don't drive my car in the rain. lol.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
slim87gt

That would be my guess
slim87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Oxford14Stang

I tell you what, I'll ask some of the other techs in the shop and shop foreman if they've ever come across a customer complaint like this, and will check TSBs and SSMs on the car and will get back to you.

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
re-rx7
Banned

Traction control w/o a doubt.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Joey289

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Traction control w/o a doubt.
The onyl reason I doubt that is because it last for a while and it feels nothing at all like the traction control system. Traction control jerks you and cuts power. This sounds like non stop hammering. It reminds me of when I broke a u-joint at the drag strip in my other car and the driveshaft was slapping the floor.

Also why would traction control come on when coasting into a parking spot using no throttle at all?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Joey289

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
I tell you what, I'll ask some of the other techs in the shop and shop foreman if they've ever come across a customer complaint like this, and will check TSBs and SSMs on the car and will get back to you.
Thanks.... this is the hardest issue to describe and the fact that I can not reproduce it keeps me from taking it somewhere.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
re-rx7
Banned

The onyl reason I doubt that is because it last for a while and it feels nothing at all like the traction control system. Traction control jerks you and cuts power. This sounds like non stop hammering. It reminds me of when I broke a u-joint at the drag strip in my other car and the driveshaft was slapping the floor.

Also why would traction control come on when coasting into a parking spot using no throttle at all?
Anytime the Ecu detects slip it cuts power. I remember the old V6 mustang ssounded like there was an elephant under the car.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote