Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
JDMLOL

Default Towing a vehicle with an auto transmission

I've heard mixed input about towing an automatic vehicle with a tow bar. Is it necessary to disconnect the drive shaft when towing my auto Ford Bronco? Some say my transmission will be fried because fluid won't pump yet I see automatic cars towed behind rv's all the time and I don't believe that all of the older folks towing them remove/install the drive shaft every time they tow or drive it. Does anyone have first hand experience?

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Pat McCrotch

You should definitely pull it...
Old 04-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
downtime!

Flat towing an auto car definitely calls for disconnecting the drive shaft. No pump running, no fluid circulation. That's a bad thing. UHaul rents trailers for $50/day. That's what I'm using to take the green monster to Ohio next week.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
JDMLOL

Default Towing a vehicle with an auto transmission

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
Flat towing an auto car definitely calls for disconnecting the drive shaft. No pump running, no fluid circulation. That's a bad thing. UHaul rents trailers for $50/day. That's what I'm using to take the green monster to Ohio next week.

What about the front shaft? If the transfer case is in neutral will towing do any damage?

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS

Last edited by JDMLOL; 04-26-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Pat McCrotch

Yes it will.. Either pull them off, or get a trailer from U-Haul.. Be safe..
Old 04-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
downtime!

What kind of vehicle are we talking about? Sounds like a 4WD truck of some sort. And yes, the driveshaft(s) need to be pulled. From the axle ends at least. The downside is, if you remove them completely, there's a good chance the fluid will leak at the trans. Unbolt them from the axles, then tie them up with some strong wire.

Or get the trailer. It's a lot easier.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
five.slow

im a recovery guy in the army so i tow a lot of vehicles. just make damn sure the vehicle you plan to flat tow supports that. all of out equipment is designed to be towed a decent distance with out it messing anything up. some of our big trucks like the LMTV need the drive shafts removed if they are going to be flat towed more than 25 miles. in theory you can flat tow everything as long as you don't go very far. HMMWVs (hummers) just need the transfer put in neutral and trans in neutral then i can drag its ass all over the world with no issue what so ever BUT its designed to do that because the transfer doesn't circulate fluid like a transmission, its more like a diff in that aspect.

if you are worried even if the vehicle is designed to be flat towed just put it on a trailer and be worrie free.
five.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
What kind of vehicle are we talking about? Sounds like a 4WD truck of some sort. And yes, the driveshaft(s) need to be pulled. From the axle ends at least. The downside is, if you remove them completely, there's a good chance the fluid will leak at the trans. Unbolt them from the axles, then tie them up with some strong wire.

Or get the trailer. It's a lot easier.

It's a 1991 Bronco. I guess I will just drive it out to the lease. I thought it would be easy just to put a tow bar on it and be done with it, but I guess not. I figured if the transfer case was in neutral everything would be ok. So if the hubs are unlocked, the front ds is still spinning?

The Queen: