Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Pics & Video

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
DirtyD

Default My First AutoX (Video)

Had the chance to finally make it out to an AutoX event this weekend. Didn't expect much, but I'm happy with the outcome. I placed 9th out of 10 in my class, but no big deal. The biggest things I'm happy about is I didn't have a single DNF, nor did I hit a single cone in all 8 of my runs.

Here is a video of my fastest run from the afternoon heat.

http://youtu.be/uO91SeXouHE
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
garner

That course looks super confusing. I'd get lost every run lol
Old 01-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Antothoro

Yeah, I'd have to see a map. That looks awesome though.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
03MachMe

The camera is a little deceiving. Course wasn't hard to figure out, unless you were Josh. Lol

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
donutninja

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
The camera is a little deceiving. Course wasn't hard to figure out, unless you were Josh. Lol
there were SO many DNF's and cones hit on the second course. I got tired of running around. haha

I thought the second course was a little deceiving at times but you could really stretch your legs for most of it.

Also, are you on stock suspension? the car seems so smooth.

Last edited by donutninja; 01-26-2014 at 07:50 PM.
donutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Antothoro

Map for those interested.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
KurvStr8nr

You did great for your first AutoX! First timers usually have a hard time following the course, try to overdrive it and end up hitting at least 1 cone.

How did your times compare throughout the 8 runs?

Did you get a chance to walk the course before driving it?

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Had the chance to finally make it out to an AutoX event this weekend. Didn't expect much, but I'm happy with the outcome. I placed 9th out of 10 in my class, but no big deal. The biggest things I'm happy about is I didn't have a single DNF, nor did I hit a single cone in all 8 of my runs.

Coming soon: | MGW 2014 MT-82 Shifter |
KurvStr8nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Dominic Toretto

Nice job Derek! Glad you guys had fun. Man that exhaust sounds epic in the video, can't imagine how much better it must be in person.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
JDBishopArts

Yeah that was the first time I've ever had such a big problem making my way through the course. I punted a few cones but luckily never ran any over or spun out.
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
DirtyD

Originally Posted by garner View Post
That course looks super confusing. I'd get lost every run lol
Originally Posted by Antothoro View Post
Yeah, I'd have to see a map. That looks awesome though.
It's not that bad. They provide maps, but when you get the chance to walk it, it becomes so much simpler it's funny.

Originally Posted by donutninja View Post
there were SO many DNF's and cones hit on the second course. I got tired of running around. haha

I thought the second course was a little deceiving at times but you could really stretch your legs for most of it.

Also, are you on stock suspension? the car seems so smooth.
Yeah, so many people were DNF'ing I was thinking to myself, man, this is not going to be good for me. LOL

One of the S2000 drivers kept DNF'ing in the same exact spot, on all 4 of his morning runs.

Originally Posted by KurvStr8nr View Post
You did great for your first AutoX! First timers usually have a hard time following the course, try to overdrive it and end up hitting at least 1 cone.

How did your times compare throughout the 8 runs?

Did you get a chance to walk the course before driving it?
Yeah, I told myself not to try and get in over my head and push it. I didn't have my suspension setup where it should've been, so the back end broke loose rather easily on street tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports).

The morning session was the reverse direction of the afternoon course, with a few small changes. My 1st morning run I took my time just getting used to how the cones look while actually driving, and not walking, and also just figuring out some of the lines to take. I shaved 8 sec off the morning course time by the 4 run. The afternoon was a bit different...I ended up running my fastest time on the 4th run as well, but I only shaved off 4 sec from the first lap. Just couldn't quite get the car to do what I wanted it, and came in to a few corners a little too hot, and took them too wide.

We had the chance to walk both courses, but I didn't make it back from lunch in time to walk the afternoon.

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Nice job Derek! Glad you guys had fun. Man that exhaust sounds epic in the video, can't imagine how much better it must be in person.

-Alex
Thanks, Alex. I wish I could have someone else drive the car so I can hear what it sounds like outside of the car for once. LOL
Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
DirtyD

Here are the videos of my 1, 2, and 3 runs from the afternoon as well. I haven't had the chance to upload the morning session yet.

Afternoon Run 1
http://youtu.be/jaH8agLfLvc

Afternoon Run 2
http://youtu.be/d1-IvbFhSWo

Afternoon Run 3
http://youtu.be/ZwPAwlPLwZ8
Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
El_Tortuga

Car sounds great.

I felt like it was confusing visually and the gates were narrower than most Auto-X. I was feeling sorry for myself until I saw the supercharged Viper (it has to be a beating getting that wide beast around in such a tight course). He sure released a lot of smoke from those tires. I watched one of the WRX's DNF all 4 AM runs, but they didn't see the 4th DNF.

Morning was a better drive for me, even though I got a little hooped by being in the very coldest session and 1st group. Yikes. I was dissapointed in myself for the PM session. Overdrove, missed on tire pressures, 3.73 gearing was too low, and I suspect my line was crap. You can't see it very well, but the concrete chews tires pretty good and if you get in the rubber dust you lose a LOT of grip. It feels like you are driving your ass off, but its not fast. I never could feel the flow in the second set, and it was over before I figured it out.

It was really great to get out and wheel the car a little bit. Sure turned out to be a BE-A-UTIFUL day. Rear swaybar and harness upgrades worked well.

Talked to a Camaro buddy that did the Driver's Edge event @ TWS this weekend and I'm pumped. We are both doing the PCA DE in February, but he'll be in a higher group than me.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
I should have let him keep fighting the swaybar when he was trying to set camber, but I would have felt bad for not helping an aggie, or any other dumb animals.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
03MachMe

Hahahahaha

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
DirtyD

Originally Posted by El_Tortuga View Post
Car sounds great.

I felt like it was confusing visually and the gates were narrower than most Auto-X. I was feeling sorry for myself until I saw the supercharged Viper (it has to be a beating getting that wide beast around in such a tight course). He sure released a lot of smoke from those tires. I watched one of the WRX's DNF all 4 AM runs, but they didn't see the 4th DNF.

Morning was a better drive for me, even though I got a little hooped by being in the very coldest session and 1st group. Yikes. I was dissapointed in myself for the PM session. Overdrove, missed on tire pressures, 3.73 gearing was too low, and I suspect my line was crap. You can't see it very well, but the concrete chews tires pretty good and if you get in the rubber dust you lose a LOT of grip. It feels like you are driving your ass off, but its not fast. I never could feel the flow in the second set, and it was over before I figured it out.

It was really great to get out and wheel the car a little bit. Sure turned out to be a BE-A-UTIFUL day. Rear swaybar and harness upgrades worked well.

Talked to a Camaro buddy that did the Driver's Edge event @ TWS this weekend and I'm pumped. We are both doing the PCA DE in February, but he'll be in a higher group than me.
Yeah, morning turned out to be better for me as well, but not by much. I think having my rear shocks set at full stiff was too much for my street tires, because it didn't take a lot for them to want to brake loose. Next time I'll try for 1-2 turns from full stiff and see how it works, maybe 1/2 turn on the front. I think the afternoon session was a little slower for our group because all the X and other R comp tire cars had run before us, throwing rubber all over the parking lot, not giving us any virgin concrete to grip on.

Originally Posted by El_Tortuga View Post
I should have let him keep fighting the swaybar when he was trying to set camber, but I would have felt bad for not helping an aggie, or any other dumb animals.
Haha. Poor Aggies.