Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
blownaltered
I have a small penis

I'm not one to really stick up for Jeff since he did talk massive shit before last night so he had some of this coming. But are some of you guys really comparing autos stalled cars with no seats that go to the track every weekend to a guy with a full weight car with a new combo and also his first time to the track with it., let not forget a stick.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
I'm not one to really stick up for Jeff since he did talk massive shit before last night so he had some of this coming. But are some of you guys really comparing autos stalled cars with no seats that go to the track every weekend to a guy with a full weight car with a new combo and also his first time to the track with it., let not forget a stick.
Exactly and not once did I say I was going to run great time my FIRST time to the track with it. I said I was going to be really rusty and would need practice. So I wasn't expecting much last night. And with what happen to Don's car I even surprise myself that I ran last night cause that there made me really nervous.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
kdanner

You have got to be kidding me. There's the no interior BS again. Hello? What are you going to do with a rear seat when you have a roll bar? Yes the passenger seat is pulled, nobody else does that? Yes when at the track it has a far safer driver seat in it to properly accommodate the harness, nobody else does that?

Everyone knows the back seat doesn't weigh shit. The passenger seat is around 45lbs. That driver seat saves about 20lbs. Then there's the part no one seems to want to talk about, the weight added right back in from all the safety equipment, that car is 100% legal to 10 flat. That car is no lighter than it would be with the stock seats present and the aftermarket shit not present.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
You have got to be kidding me. There's the no interior BS again. Hello? What are you going to do with a rear seat when you have a roll bar? Yes the passenger seat is pulled, nobody else does that? Yes when at the track it has a far safer driver seat in it to properly accommodate the harness, nobody else does that?

Everyone knows the back seat doesn't weigh shit. The passenger seat is around 45lbs. That driver seat saves about 20lbs. Then there's the part no one seems to want to talk about, the weight added right back in from all the safety equipment, that car is 100% legal to 10 flat. That car is no lighter than it would be with the stock seats present and the aftermarket shit not present.
Not planning on putting a roll bar or cage in my car as of right now. Plan on racing and driving it as is. Not even taking anyting out of the trunk.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
wbt

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Not planning on putting a roll bar or cage in my car as of right now. Plan on racing and driving it as is. Not even taking anyting out of the trunk.
I think if you are going to be successful at the track and meet the goals you have set you will have to change your train of thought about this.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by wbt View Post
I think if you are going to be successful at the track and meet the goals you have set you will have to change your train of thought about this.
More seat time and slicks I'm sure I can get close to my goals. Like I said I'm not trying to set or break any records.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
More seat time and slicks I'm sure I can get close to my goals. Like I said I'm not trying to set or break any records.
no shit. http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2472
OG Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
DirtyD

For Christ's sake....my head hurt now.

wbt, why did you mention the JLT products? They have been proven to perform, of course with the addition of a tune. I know the stock airbox is a damn good piece on these cars, but can you explain? I'm actually curious.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
kdanner

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post

wbt, why did you mention the JLT products? They have been proven to perform, of course with the addition of a tune. I know the stock airbox is a damn good piece on these cars, but can you explain? I'm actually curious.
I did calibrations for him to test and log stock, Airaid, Steeda, Roush, & the Brand J. No changes except the MAF transfer function between them. That's the only thing that should be changed, anything else and you're band-aiding a hardware problem in the calibration, which I won't do. All performed properly except the Brand J. It had a very noisy MAF signal, and this threw the shifts/locks way off causing the car to hit the limiter. This means the airflow is very non-laminar in comparison to the other products. Jay's response was that the filter wasn't positioned right. It did the same no matter where it was positioned. I commented that the tube should have a raised filter stop to properly locate the filter like every other brand does, Jay told me I didn't know what I was doing and that he would not revise his product. Guess what, he has since made exactly that change. Many others have mentioned not shifting and hitting the limiter, or idle surges, both of which can be caused by noisy MAF signal. Jay denies the existence of all these people and likes to say that only 2 guys in Texas have a problem with his product. So that is why neither of us will use or recommend any product Jay sells. Lately he is on a rant making videos about SHR, guy thinks he invented the aluminum can or something, he appears to be about half nuts.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
wbt

Sure that is easy.

1. Their CAI design on the 2011+ cars is flawed.
2. Their catch cans have issues with fittings breaking.
3. The company owner has such a large ego he refuses to admit when his products have issues yet he is willing to make video's about other vendors ripping him off.

Our CAI testing:
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/...signal-quality

Catch can issues:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ken-again.html
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-issue-521192/
...plenty more out there.

His video's:

This video showed/proved nothing.

....and much more going on behind the scenes that isn't as public. For me that says everything. If others are happy running his products that is their prerogative. That's my opinion.

Last edited by wbt; 08-19-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Damn
Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Junkie

Wow...all that shit talk and the car/driver only accomplished those times. I honestly did expect faster.

A stick car is going to do MUCH MUCH better on a slick. Get a good set of wheels/tires and go get some seat time. Don't waste the part wear and tear on crappy passes. Go out and just 60ft the car one time until you get happy there. Then move out to 330' once that's nailed move on.

Also if people being around make you nervous. Get a few guys together and rent Denton, also take your tuner with you.

It does seem like to me some MPH/power is missing or something is wrong. I know my CTS-V which is 4610lbs with me in it, on small drag radials out MPH'd that with similar power. Bone stock on stock tires we went 117mph. 441rwhp
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Wow...all that shit talk and the car/driver only accomplished those times. I honestly did expect faster.

A stick car is going to do MUCH MUCH better on a slick. Get a good set of wheels/tires and go get some seat time. Don't waste the part wear and tear on crappy passes. Go out and just 60ft the car one time until you get happy there. Then move out to 330' once that's nailed move on.

Also if people being around make you nervous. Get a few guys together and rent Denton, also take your tuner with you.

It does seem like to me some MPH/power is missing or something is wrong. I know my CTS-V which is 4610lbs with me in it, on small drag radials out MPH'd that with similar power. Bone stock on stock tires we went 117mph. 441rwhp
Having the guys around didn't make me nervous. Me not doing it in 10 plus years Plus seeing all the mustang wiggle in the 1-2 shifts.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
DirtyD

I haven't had any issues with my catch can from JLT, but I simply take it off, empty/check it, and out it back on, and my car sees daily duty.

As for the CAI, I have only been running his carbon fiber version for a week now. Currently running a preloaded SCT tune (I know I know, but let's not get into that) and all seems to be fairly fine so far. I will say that having that raised lip on the end of the tune does help you will getting the proper filter location, but I think he could've gone with a slightly different design to obtain a cleaner flower of air into the tube through the filter, such as some type of Venturi insert or something.

I will disagree however on catch can copying by SHR. Their product clearly came on to the market after his catch can, when he was supplying Shelby with his products, and I don't think it's just a coincidence. But he should have taken the measures to protect his design. There are many ways to design something with the same objective. He was just coming up with his own product, not claiming to have invented it.

These are my opinions though. No bias on my part, just many hours of research, opinion reading, thinking, and more thinking. All of my JLT parts were purchased used from other Mustang owners. The only thing I have purchased from him directly were hood struts. Lol
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
wbt

I haven't had any issues with my catch can from JLT, but I simply take it off, empty/check it, and out it back on, and my car sees daily duty.

As for the CAI, I have only been running his carbon fiber version for a week now. Currently running a preloaded SCT tune (I know I know, but let's not get into that) and all seems to be fairly fine so far. I will say that having that raised lip on the end of the tune does help you will getting the proper filter location, but I think he could've gone with a slightly different design to obtain a cleaner flower of air into the tube through the filter, such as some type of Venturi insert or something.

I will disagree however on catch can copying by SHR. Their product clearly came on to the market after his catch can, when he was supplying Shelby with his products, and I don't think it's just a coincidence. But he should have taken the measures to protect his design. There are many ways to design something with the same objective. He was just coming up with his own product, not claiming to have invented it.

These are my opinions though. No bias on my part, just many hours of research, opinion reading, thinking, and more thinking. All of my JLT parts were purchased used from other Mustang owners. The only thing I have purchased from him directly were hood struts. Lol
...and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are happy that's really all that matters.

For me, I still can't sell the JLT intake I purchased and did the testing with. I suppose the results produced sort of shot the re-sell value to Hell.

I may be able to give it away to someone next weekend. We'll see.