Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
jpgraham65

Default 5.0 on the race track

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has gone to a real race track (one with turns) and have had the chance to run against any of the sports cars past or present. In particular, how'd you do against camaros, challengers, vettes, 370Zs, etc. What were your mods and how did you feel your car stacked up to what's out there? What mod did you think was most crucial for blowing doors off, taking hairpin corners?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
DirtyD

Vorshlag does so, and Blue Devil does as well. I think a few people have some true road courses.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
jpgraham65

Guess I should've been more clear, I'm looking for 5.0s that have been more similar to original, may be a CAI and a tune, springs and /or shocks, at the most a blower or turbo. Definitely not a pro setup like Vorshlag or Blue Devil.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
DirtyD

IDK if I would really call Dale's car pro, but it is built with a purpose. I want to start getting into road courses, and my car is a I/E car that will add a tune and ORH this summer. I'm also on BMR springs, and will do struts before I start.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
46Tbird

Vorshlag just bought a 2013 to do double duty - a daily driver and ESP autocross car. Might be what you're looking for.

There is a reason you wont find many (any?) near stock 5.0s on road courses. The suspension is pure shit and the brakes are worse. The BBP cars are somewhat better but even then anyone that is truly serious about lap times on a road course will have the stock suspension and brakes in the dumpster after the first weekend.

And lol at only real tracks having turns. I've competed in several autocross and road course events and all the guys that suck at drag racing suck at turns too.
46Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
jpgraham65

Guess I should've worded that differently, I wasn't trying to downplay the skill required for drag racing, just wanted to find out how these cars perform on a race track.