Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
El_Tortuga

Default Who has installed an oil pressure gauge on their Coyote?

I installed the Laguna Seca pod with analog oil pressure, oil temp, and voltage. All seem to be working, but the oil pressure is driving me crazy. It runs really high, like anything over 1.5-2K is 90-100 psi. Even when warm, it still shows 35 psi at idle, and as soon as you tip the throttle, it gets up immediately.

Factory manual states 10-15 psi at idle and 30-40 psi at 2000 rpm (fully warmed). Better too much than too little, but I'm struggling with the track pack 5w50 oilhaving that much impact.

I was up until 1130 checking and rechecking my install and running comparison tests, swapping senders and bench testing them, and checking the gauge itself. All appear to be in order, so if your numbers don't compare, I may need to check with a mechanical gauge and/or remote mount the sender if it's getting some weird effect from the alternator or steering assist.

2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
downtime!

Not sure why it's doing that, but "better too much than too little" is not always a true statement. I've seen too much oil pressure literally wash bearings out.

Is that gauge mechanical or electrical?
Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
El_Tortuga

Electrical. I've checked, rechecked , and checked again. I thought I had an install or part issue, but everything checks out. I even installed a mechanical test gauge tonight and it matches fairly close. Rechecked sandwhich plate and its holes. Swapped oil filter (no change) buttoned everything up and called it good. Maybe just staying with the idiot light would have been better.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
downtime!

Not! I never knew the 5.0's fluctuate so much. On my old Plymouth with the 440, it's pretty common. Cold start goes up to 80, and stays there until it is fully up to operating temp (180). Then it will go down to 30-35 at idle, and up to 55-60 on the highway. Used to bug the crap out of me, until I found it that's normal for those engines.