Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #436
DirtyD

Originally Posted by wbt View Post
You're welcome.

Pretty much all aftermarket CAI's, including the stock intake tube, match up to the 80mm stock TB. The intake manifold opening is ~83mm. Putting an aftermarket TB on that is larger than the intake manifold opening does nothing for power.

You could add aftermarket throttle bodies to the list I posted here for useless upgrades on these platforms:
http://www.dfw50s.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=398

I didn't intend to derail the thread on the technical stuff. We can move it to a more appropriate area if needed.
Well.....I guess I'll just hang on to my JLT simply because I don't want to lose money when reselling it. Haha

It always sucks when actually evidence goes against what you told your wallet to buy. Dammit.

I do have another "question" but I don't want to ask it here, so I may just PM you about it.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #437
wbt

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
reason I asked is I wanted to know if the stock cai vs a opened air would perform the same on a dyno hood up hood down doesn't matter. If the stock cai stays cooler Id figure it'd dyno out better numbers resulting in better track times.
Dyno'ing with the hood open is advantageous to an open air filter vs. the stock intake. The reason for this comes down to accessibility to a greater area of air. When you close the hood you remove this advantage.

The proper way to dyno and compare them in such a fashion would be in a wind tunnel that simulates the car driving down the road at speed. Not many facilities have this capability.

so it'd perform just as well as an aftermarket one on hwy rolls ... now it seems to be pointless to have a cai lol
You bet.

My point with this info is don't get caught up in the hype of dyno numbers and manufacture claims. We have done a lot of testing and have a pretty good idea on what works and what doesn't. Feel free to ask either kdanner or I if you aren't sure about if you should run this part or that.

That said, I make no claims to have all the answers but I will help where I can and share my experiences.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #438
wbt

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Well.....I guess I'll just hang on to my JLT simply because I don't want to lose money when reselling it. Haha

It always sucks when actually evidence goes against what you told your wallet to buy. Dammit.

I do have another "question" but I don't want to ask it here, so I may just PM you about it.
Sounds good.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #439
DirtyD

Sounds good.
Mainly just because it would further continue the technical conversations. Lol
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #440
Oxford14Stang

Dyno'ing with the hood open is advantageous to an open air filter vs. the stock intake. The reason for this comes down to accessibility to a greater area of air. When you close the hood you remove this advantage.

The proper way to dyno and compare them in such a fashion would be in a wind tunnel that simulates the car driving down the road at speed. Not many facilities have this capability.

You bet.

My point with this info is don't get caught up in the hype of dyno numbers and manufacture claims. We have done a lot of testing and have a pretty good idea on what works and what doesn't. Feel free to ask either kdanner or I if you aren't sure about if you should run this part or that.

That said, I make no claims to have all the answers but I will help where I can and share my experiences.
Okay I see what you mean about the hood up or hood down. And as pointless as dyno numbers are and only thing that matters is track times I was just curious as how well the stock box performed. Well hey, thanks for all your info and time. Good information and something I'll considered looking into.

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #441
Yagermeister

Originally Posted by TrueStreetMotorSports.com View Post
To say his car should run 130+ is also uneducated.....

I have a Honda that hangs around our shop that makes 498fwhp... It traps 140mph in the 1/4 mile..... How do you figure that?

Well I will tell you, power to weight is everything in drag racing. Jeff claims his car weighs over 3850 with out him in the car. That would make it over 4000lb with him in the car going down the track. Weight will kill mph.....

My fox body back in the day made 400rwhp (1996) weighed 3196 with me in it and traped 128.8mph.

You have to quit taking the times the fast guys on the Internet are runing and thinking that a little higher dyno number should make a heavy car not set up to track with a new driver should run with the educated and prepared racer. Raw power will not over come weight and set up
I'm curious as to what mph you think True Streets high dollar 525+HP built motor will get seeing that with tune and tires and an xpipe can get you 117-119mph in the exact same model of a mustang with the same weight (Jeff's car does not weigh what he thinks).
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #442
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

Whoa...mind blown.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #443
03MachMe

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
John (GunsUp) was there but won't race at the track, only the street.
Exactly what the problem is with this top ten.

All this arguing is getting very old very quickly. This site was fun when people wouldn't take shit so personal. Jeff your going to catch some shit because you talked shit, but a lot of you are over doing it. We know Jeff SHOULD BE running a lot faster times, give him some time to figure out his car. And Jeff we know you need better tires But you can also do a lot better with those. You should be able to cut a 1.7 at least even with those tires just takes some time. Don't take shit so personal when you jab back and it keeps going back and forth it gets really old to read and then everyone else jumps in. This thread is about the call out list not reasons Jeff didn't run well at the track. Just my 02¢

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #444
46Tbird

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
It's my understanding #10 was not there and a lot of people wanting to get on the list couldn't do so. I know Dark Pony was trying to set up some races to move up the list but I don't know what came of it.
So one person not showing up causes a pile-up? Seems like that person forfeited and dropped a place, everyone else should continue calling out and racing. I guess that's why Street Outlaws has a big chief, this type of issue isn't gonna work itself out by committee.

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Not sensitive at all. I'm not on great tires and haven't been to the track in years. I would had been very happy to hit 11's my first time back in over a decade. But it didn't happen oh well. But Steve won't bet me cause we are "friends" yet he gives me a lot of shit when usually friends don't do that. At least not as much as he does. I guess since he got so much shit at Dfwmustangs he thinks he can do that here. I think I'm going to call Steve, Eric.
So much comic gold!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #445
TrueStreetMotorSports.com
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by Yagermeister View Post
I'm curious as to what mph you think True Streets high dollar 525+HP built motor will get seeing that with tune and tires and an xpipe can get you 117-119mph in the exact same model of a mustang with the same weight (Jeff's car does not weigh what he thinks).
Jeff claims he weigh it at 3878lb and that is not with Jeff in it. So if this is the case and Jeff gets in since the car will not drive it's self it is over 4000lb.

Now are you saying your friend is telling a lie? Jeff does a lot on the Internet I would chose to do differently but to say is flat out lying is pretty serious.

TrueStreetMotorSports.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #446
TrueStreetMotorSports.com
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
Exactly what the problem is with this top ten.

All this arguing is getting very old very quickly. This site was fun when people wouldn't take shit so personal. Jeff your going to catch some shit because you talked shit, but a lot of you are over doing it. We know Jeff SHOULD BE running a lot faster times, give him some time to figure out his car. And Jeff we know you need better tires But you can also do a lot better with those. You should be able to cut a 1.7 at least even with those tires just takes some time. Don't take shit so personal when you jab back and it keeps going back and forth it gets really old to read and then everyone else jumps in. This thread is about the call out list not reasons Jeff didn't run well at the track. Just my 02¢
I agree, I believe Jeff poked a lot if people and now everyone is loving him not doing good job driving the car. But I can tell you with his wife being as pregnant as she is I can image it's not good time for him to be arguing and getting mad over things as silly as him not driving his car good at the track.

It's getting old on both sides for sure

TrueStreetMotorSports.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #447
Junkie

Talk a bunch of shit, don't back it up, get called out....seems pretty simple to me. Happens to the best of us.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #448
kdanner

Originally Posted by TrueStreetMotorSports.com View Post
Jeff claims he weigh it at 3878lb and that is not with Jeff in it. So if this is the case and Jeff gets in since the car will not drive it's self it is over 4000lb.

Now are you saying your friend is telling a lie? Jeff does a lot on the Internet I would chose to do differently but to say is flat out lying is pretty serious.
Base GTs weigh less than 3600 untouched, that's a fact. I've had a few of them on my own scales. You can say telling a lie, whatever else if you want. I'd just focus on there is absolutely no way that car weighs anywhere near what he claims unless he has added a whole lot of weight with useless crap like stereo shit.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #449
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #450
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
I'd just focus on there is absolutely no way that car weighs anywhere near what he claims unless he has added a whole lot of weight with useless crap like stereo shit.
Hey! Wtf is wrong with stereo shit?