Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > Events

Events If you know of an events or auto shows that are taking place near you, post them in here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
DirtyD

Default Eagles Canyon FREE learning Session Track Day, Sat March 2

I really want to try and make the next event. But not only I am scared of some dipshit ramming me and messing up my car, but I'm also not to sure how my "Brembo" brakes will fair against the constant abuse and braking friction...
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
moor3r

Originally Posted by BLK50 View Post
Ah man... It's not like that. There's another event on the 23rd. This one you'll need a helmet and $75.00 for a day of instruction.

Hope the new job is going well.

Consider yourself formally invited. The LS is waiting...
Sounds like a date!

New Gig is Great!

Last edited by moor3r; 03-05-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: add content
moor3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
BLK50

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I really want to try and make the next event. But not only I am scared of some dipshit ramming me and messing up my car, but I'm also not to sure how my "Brembo" brakes will fair against the constant abuse and braking friction...
Yeah, I had the same thoughts, but it's very controlled. You cannot pass without being waved on first etc. Watch this video and you'll get an idea.

Also, with your manual, you have ton's of engine braking that really helps keep the brakes from getting too hot. The guy in the video is one of the track staff and he's very smooth and doesn't use the brakes too much.

Current:2012 Boss Leguna Seca #290
Previous: 2011 Base GT "BLK 50", 2000 SS w/100 shot, 1993 Lightning w/75 shot
BLK50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
DirtyD

How fast are you allowed to get up to on the straights? I saw he got up to around 105, but wasn't really stomping on it.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
BLK50

How fast are you allowed to get up to on the straights? I saw he got up to around 105, but wasn't really stomping on it.
During the newbie lead/follow sessions, you're supposed to not go over 50mph. On the second, lead/follow - actually following the same yellow boss in the vid, he was hauling ass and I hit 90 on that back straight : ) The whole point of the Open Track days are to get folks oriented with the track and to learn the lines; that's it. You do get a good chance to see the limits of your car's handling as many of the corners are hair pin/blind and 50 is not hold-able. Really after 2 laps, I felt like I had a good feel for how my car was doing. It was only coming out of the turns that I would lose traction.

During the intermediate/advanced groups, they can go as fast as they want. Another guy in a Boss said he could only get to 120 on that back straight.

The video is very deceiving - notice the G meter on the video - it's flashed over 1G several times which is a lot of hanging the f on if you have a rider.

Last edited by BLK50; 03-05-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
46Tbird

The Boss gets a lot more engine braking dialed-in to the tune as compared to a GT, especially with the Track Key.

The stock Brembo brakes aren't great for "real" road racing. The pad material is only marginally better than the basic GT, and the four-piston calipers up front are good but not great. The rotors are excellent, really the highlight of the package. If you're planning on setting lap records, get a set of dedicated brakes for the car.
46Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
BLK50

Here's an insanely long thread on MustangSource about beefing up your brake system for the track. http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...eviews-492130/

True on the Track Key and engine braking. It's works great on the track. From what I've read no aftermarket tuner has figured out how to recreate what Ford is doing.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
DirtyD

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
The Boss gets a lot more engine braking dialed-in to the tune as compared to a GT, especially with the Track Key.

The stock Brembo brakes aren't great for "real" road racing. The pad material is only marginally better than the basic GT, and the four-piston calipers up front are good but not great. The rotors are excellent, really the highlight of the package. If you're planning on setting lap records, get a set of dedicated brakes for the car.
I wouldn't be shooting for those. Hell, I'l like to at least run 2-3x the lap record. haha
Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
merlinmol

Dirty, your Brembo brakes will be just fine for the lead and follow laps. Several peeps that go to the lead/follow don't even have the brembo package. As far as someone hitting you, you cannot pass in the lead/follow sessions and everyone on the track seems to be very respectful during those sessions.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
DirtyD

Originally Posted by merlinmol View Post
Dirty, your Brembo brakes will be just fine for the lead and follow laps. Several peeps that go to the lead/follow don't even have the brembo package. As far as someone hitting you, you cannot pass in the lead/follow sessions and everyone on the track seems to be very respectful during those sessions.
Yeah, that's what everyone else has said, so I'm game for the lead and follow laps.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
03MachMe

once I finish my Brembos and new struts Ill give this a go

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #27
JPC

During normal HPDE track days at ECR, I can hit 130+ in the back straight.
Couple times hitting 8k rev limiter in 4th....don't remember that speed..

But during the lead follow sessions on Sat MAX was 55mph...no helmets.

ECR having a track day on March 23rd.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #28
GrabberMatt

Brembo brakes did fine for me, if anything flush fluid and swap over to some Motul 600rbf, that's what I have and there was zero fade. Also, by session 3 , ppl were hauling ass in the lead follow sessions - they tried to regroup the cars based on power and opened it up.

2011 Grabber Blue 5.0
GrabberMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
DirtyD

Default Eagles Canyon FREE learning Session Track Day, Sat March 2

Originally Posted by GrabberMatt View Post
Brembo brakes did fine for me, if anything flush fluid and swap over to some Motul 600rbf, that's what I have and there was zero fade. Also, by session 3 , ppl were hauling ass in the lead follow sessions - they tried to regroup the cars based on power and opened it up.
I do need to go ahead and flush out my system. I'm running a DOT3/4 mix right now. Haha
Old 03-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
merlinmol

I think the 55 mph is what they say. I don't remember sticking to that on either of my 2 sessions on the straights. I do know that my first run on the track had GrabberMatt behind me and he kept up with me the whole time. I'll chalk that up for my first time on a track and to learning the course, hopefully I wasn't going too slow. It doesn't help that halfway through the 20 minute run there was traffic jam. It was still a lot of fun though.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote