Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
BillWill

Thumbs down Who does good tunes?

I am having issues with my 2011 5.0 emitting white smoke upon start up and acceleration. I recently thought I was getting a custom tune done at Lonestar Performance but instead I paid 400$ for a dyno pull. The pull showed 401hp with 289tq. They installed Kooks LT 1 3/4 headers, Kooks hi flow catted x-pipe and magnaflow comp series exhaust. My car already had a Steeda CAI. I should be pulling more than that right? How I found this out is by having troubles with the tune. My car was stalling at red lights and upon start up all I could smell was fuel. So, I brought it back and he downloaded a tune to my programmer in front of me and uploaded it to the car. Wouldn't you put a dyno tuned car back on the dyno? Well forget Lonestar Racing I need someone who knows what is going on. The low numbers might be from the OLD Dyno they have.

I have went back with a Steeda tune for now. Does anyone know a darn good place to take it too.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium Performance White 6MT, Steeda CAI, Kooks LT 1 3/4, Kooks Hi-Flow Cat X-Pipe, Magnaflow Comp Axle Back, Vorshlag custom over axle 3 inch, Barton ST, Steeda Caster Camber Plates, Koni Streets, Steeda Sport Springs, J&M panhard, Whiteline LCA brackets, Steeda Billet LCA, B&M Diff Cover, G-Trac Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace, Boss 302S Wheels 19x9/19x10, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors, Hawk Pads.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
wayne fontenot

I have always used Gearheads in Arlington. Never had any issues at all
wayne fontenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
Barry McCockiner

Hpp
Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Lucky13

Originally Posted by wayne fontenot View Post
I have always used Gearheads in Arlington. Never had any issues at all
Originally Posted by Barry McCockiner View Post
Hpp
Hahahaha, this feels like it could turn into one of the old "who tunes best / shops we love and hate" threads!

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
BillWill

I just want it done right, I want someone that tunes cars to tune my car. Its like paying for a mechanic and all u had work on your car is a guy that gets paid to change parts.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium Performance White 6MT, Steeda CAI, Kooks LT 1 3/4, Kooks Hi-Flow Cat X-Pipe, Magnaflow Comp Axle Back, Vorshlag custom over axle 3 inch, Barton ST, Steeda Caster Camber Plates, Koni Streets, Steeda Sport Springs, J&M panhard, Whiteline LCA brackets, Steeda Billet LCA, B&M Diff Cover, G-Trac Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace, Boss 302S Wheels 19x9/19x10, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors, Hawk Pads.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 AM   #6
wayne fontenot

Default Who does good tunes?

No battle here. Just had a bad experience with hpp that why I now use Gearheads
Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Boss949

Originally Posted by BillWill View Post
I am having issues with my 2011 5.0 emitting white smoke upon start up and acceleration. I recently thought I was getting a custom tune done at Lonestar Performance but instead I paid 400$ for a dyno pull. The pull showed 401hp with 289tq. They installed Kooks LT 1 3/4 headers, Kooks hi flow catted x-pipe and magnaflow comp series exhaust. My car already had a Steeda CAI. I should be pulling more than that right? How I found this out is by having troubles with the tune. My car was stalling at red lights and upon start up all I could smell was fuel. So, I brought it back and he downloaded a tune to my programmer in front of me and uploaded it to the car. Wouldn't you put a dyno tuned car back on the dyno? Well forget Lonestar Racing I need someone who knows what is going on. The low numbers might be from the OLD Dyno they have.

I have went back with a Steeda tune for now. Does anyone know a darn good place to take it too.
Travis at Gearheads is good. Also, I use Shaun at AED. He has access to Kooks specs that not many people do. He tuned mine (update) when I installed the Kooks. Biggest difference in performance. He's getting 35-41 more RWHP with the Kooks and his tune.
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.
Boss949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
BillWill

Good Info
Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Monolith

I second the HPP...they are awesome over there. $400 dyno cost, then lifetime free dyno use, only have to pay tuners hourly fee which is pretty cheap.

2012 Race Red Mustang 5.0 with JLT CAI, Catless midpipe, Pype X Pipe and Axle Backs. Bama Tuned. RTR chin splitter, Roush side effects and rear diffuser, and Steeda spoiler.
19" AMR's with Nero's.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
SixPak

True Street Motorsports in McKinney did mine.

Prior to that I was running a canned tune which would throw engine codes for my O2 sensors from time to time. Shaun at Truestreet got me an increase in power and made the codes go away.

I would recommend them without hesitation.

'12 base Mustang. A6, tuned, 390 rwhp 352 rwtq. Paper filter
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Fuck TS, use Manny at HPP.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
wayne fontenot

Fuck hpp, use Travis at Gearheads
Old 05-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
Lucky13

Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Hahahaha, this feels like it could turn into one of the old "who tunes best / shops we love and hate" threads!
I knew it!

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
TwoQuack

Travis at Gear Heads has a good reputation.
My mod shop took mine to True Street and I got a lifetime tune. Go in each year and get an update. I've been happy with it. Pushing 638 to rear wheel, 745 at crank.
TwoQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #15
Monolith

Didn't TS lose all their classes in RR? I know HPP won 2

2012 Race Red Mustang 5.0 with JLT CAI, Catless midpipe, Pype X Pipe and Axle Backs. Bama Tuned. RTR chin splitter, Roush side effects and rear diffuser, and Steeda spoiler.
19" AMR's with Nero's.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote