Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
JDMLOL

Have you done a compression check? If the plug and then coil don't fix it, that is what I would try next.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
Just my personal opinion but if the motor is apart I would go ahead and put forged internals. There is no point in doing it twice.
If cylinder 8 is bad and I really have to do a rebuild, I will definately be doing forged internals. No sense paying to take the engine out and apart then put the timebomb back in. I am just hoping this isn't the issue.

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Have you done a compression check? If the plug and then coil don't fix it, that is what I would try next.
Haven't done a compression check, hoping I don't get to that point but it probably needs to be done anyways even if the other solutions correct the issue. I am pretty sure if it isn't fuel (bad gas or injector) or spark related (Coil or Plug), then the only thing left is to join the failed cylinder 8 club.

Right now there is a possibility that the PCV is blowing back into the engine though since the ProCharger kit simply caps off the ports. I have been looking at getting a newer catch can (don't like breathers) to work, but haven't jumped on aything yet. If is just a gummed up spark plug then the next thing that is getting ordered is a new catch can system though. These problems just suck, especially for a car that isn't a year old. I understand modifications put different stresses on engines, but this is an engineering issue with these 5.0 Coyote engines.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #18
DirtyD

Maybe call CTP and get them to check out the car again? Obviously you haven't had the car back that long, and they would be the guys to figure it out.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #19
maxpayne

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Maybe call CTP and get them to check out the car again? Obviously you haven't had the car back that long, and they would be the guys to figure it out.
This.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #20
46Tbird

Hate to tell you, but that's the same symptoms my car had... that resulted in Ford replacing the engine under warranty.

Mine was a completely stock 2012 GT (no tune or any other mods) at 23700 miles. The service replacement engine for my car was what they put in the 2013-14 GTs, with the coated pistons, additional ring gas ports, and different head bolts.

I haven't heard of many blown-up 2013-14 engines, but with boost and some road course time, I could see it. I certainly hope that's not the case for you. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
re-rx7
Banned

Who tuned it?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
Crimson600+HP

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
That's the plan right now.

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Hate to tell you, but that's the same symptoms my car had... that resulted in Ford replacing the engine under warranty.

Mine was a completely stock 2012 GT (no tune or any other mods) at 23700 miles. The service replacement engine for my car was what they put in the 2013-14 GTs, with the coated pistons, additional ring gas ports, and different head bolts.

I haven't heard of many blown-up 2013-14 engines, but with boost and some road course time, I could see it. I certainly hope that's not the case for you. Good luck.
I haven't heard of '13+'s having this problem either. That's why I think I may just have a simple fuel or spark problem. Hoping this isn't a huge problem.

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Who tuned it?
I just had it tuned by CTP that same week so I am sure it wasn't them. I had been running the canned ProCharger tune for almost four months. So if there is a culprit, I am pointing at ProChargers tune as I only put maybe 20 miles on the car since CTP touched it. I had driveability issue with ProChargers tune anyways which is why I sought after an aftermarket tuner.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7

Last edited by Crimson600+HP; 01-27-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #23
DirtyD

If you pushed the car hard on the canned Procharger tune, that very well may be the issue, and when CTP was done with it, the damage was already done, making that cylinder weaker.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
Crimson600+HP

Didn't have a chance last night to pull the plug, but this morning I was able to talk with CTP. Jeff down there is rather optomistic about the plug or coil being bad based on some attributes of my car. Whenever it is cold, it has always had a weak idle almost sounding like I had a real aggressive cam or lope idle tune. So this check maybe the root cause of the cylinder 8 misfire for me. The plugs were replaced to NGK plugs that were a step colder when I put the ProCharger on so there is a chance that something isn't right. This afternoon I will clear the code, run it for a while and see if it comes up again. Based on that, we will check out the plugs, then if looking good we will swap out the coil pack and plug in a different cylinder to see if it throws a code again.

I am staying optomistic right now based on our conversation though. I just wished it would have been a different cylinder that misfired, then I would have alot more peace of mind lol.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 01-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
maxpayne

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
I just had it tuned by CTP that same week so I am sure it wasn't them. I had been running the canned ProCharger tune for almost four months. So if there is a culprit, I am pointing at ProChargers tune as I only put maybe 20 miles on the car since CTP touched it. I had driveability issue with ProChargers tune anyways which is why I sought after an aftermarket tuner.
In my opinion, looking strictly from a causation standpoint, there are three available culprits if something truely is wrong with your motor. 1) bad luck+pushing a stock coyote motor on boost at the track over time, 2) the CTP tune, or 3) the Procharger Canned Tune. Or, it could be combination of all three.

I understand you took a risk when you went boost. However, if it were me and I had to point a finger at someone or something and bad luck (#1 above) was not an option, I would look at CTP.

To me, it is only logical. Your car did not have any check engine lights and your car didn't randomly lose power before they tuned it. They tuned it and 20 miles later, you are losing power and popping a check engine light. But, that's just a simple causation conclusion. In the legal world, the length of time between two events, with one event potentially being a producing cause of the later event, can be evidence of causation. The closer in time, more likely the earlier event was a producing cause of the later event.

But, hopefully it's only a plug and no fingers have to be pointed.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #26
Crimson600+HP

For me it would actually be the opposite. If it turns out to be a blown piston rings on #8 (which we all know is a flaw on stock coyote engines once you start asking for more power), I would be pointing the fingers at ProCharger. Catestrophic failures like this seem like it would take time to weaken the part to the point in which it would fail. CTP has done some great work and I have full faith in there shop. So I am not into the pointing fingers game.

Either way, I cleared the DTC during lunch and let the car run for about 30 minutes on its own. It was smoking a little from the passenger tailpipe only so I believe there is still a misfire. After the engine warmed up, no code was thrown, and the smoke was non-existent. This one has me puzzled, but I am leaning more towards a spark issue.
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #27
maxpayne

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
For me it would actually be the opposite. If it turns out to be a blown piston rings on #8 (which we all know is a flaw on stock coyote engines once you start asking for more power), I would be pointing the fingers at ProCharger. Catestrophic failures like this seem like it would take time to weaken the part to the point in which it would fail. CTP has done some great work and I have full faith in there shop. So I am not into the pointing fingers game.

Either way, I cleared the DTC during lunch and let the car run for about 30 minutes on its own. It was smoking a little from the passenger tailpipe only so I believe there is still a misfire. After the engine warmed up, no code was thrown, and the smoke was non-existent. This one has me puzzled, but I am leaning more towards a spark issue.
That makes sense as well. Keep us updated buddy.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #28
Dominic Toretto

Best wishes either way.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #29
BV600

I dont think its the power level...575whp.

I would think it would be a blow by issue. Same thing led to the destruction (somewhat) in my old 12. Capped off pcv system, a ton of oil in the procharger piping and on the plugs. New owner put stock plugs in and thats what did it. The plugs where so gunked up I would think that would lead to some sort of spark issues.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #30
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by maxpayne View Post
in my opinion, looking strictly from a causation standpoint, there are three available culprits if something truely is wrong with your motor. 1) bad luck+pushing a stock coyote motor on boost at the track over time, 2) the ctp tune, or 3) the procharger canned tune. Or, it could be combination of all three.

I understand you took a risk when you went boost. However, if it were me and i had to point a finger at someone or something and bad luck (#1 above) was not an option, i would look at ctp.

To me, it is only logical. Your car did not have any check engine lights and your car didn't randomly lose power before they tuned it. They tuned it and 20 miles later, you are losing power and popping a check engine light. But, that's just a simple causation conclusion. In the legal world, the length of time between two events, with one event potentially being a producing cause of the later event, can be evidence of causation. The closer in time, more likely the earlier event was a producing cause of the later event.

But, hopefully it's only a plug and no fingers have to be pointed.
agreed. Everything was fine and as soon as it was touched someting happens.

Last edited by re-rx7; 01-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote