Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
NZERO21

Default To bama tune or not?

Hi Everyone,

So I have been hearing alot of people talk about a specified tune to the coyote engine mustangs to help improve the response of the car. My question to y'all, how much of an improvement does it really make and how much do they usually cost. So far I am only familiar with the chip on the older mustangs but I know its a bit different now with the coyote engines. Typically my goal is to have 3 different tunes that I can easily select.

The following are
-Daily Driving (Gas Saver)
-Sport Driving (Confort Driving but with some kick)
-Full Race (Taking it to the track and saying...woah baby!)

Now I also heard of other possible tunes that I can go with other than BAMA but I want to get everyone's expertise on this one. Keep in mind that this will be for a car with an automatic transmission.
(Yes I know manual is the way to go but I heard some pros in having an automatic transmission).

ALL OF YOUR IMPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!.

If you know of a great place and price of where I can get a tune, I would also be appreciative. I am a working professional DJ who has worked at radio stations such as CBS radio and will return the favor with a mix of songs of your choice of course.

I was also thinking of adding some 3:73 gears to get a sharp response on the car but I keep going back and forth between the tune and gears.

I'll also be contributing more to the forum as I will be videotaping an install of some HID fog lights on a CS 2011 mustang. I have not been able to find one on youtube so I figured I put one out there for everyone to see.

Thanks again everyone and I look forward in reading everyone's response.

NZERO21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
Dominic Toretto

I haven't actually heard a negative comment about a BAMA tune but, I do hear people claim that a dyno tune would be more "precise" to your engine. I'm still trying to figure out that one since these (and all other mass produced engines) are built on assembly lines so tolerances, clearances, materials, factory specs would all be the same across the entire engine build. Anyway again, I have neither but, have heard that a custom tune is the way to go but, nothing wrong with BAMA. Custom tunes from a shop normally run about $500.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
03MachMe

Haven't heard anything bad about Bama tunes? Guess you don't read much. Bama is know to be the worst of the mail tunes out there. Like 29deg of timing bad

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
03MachMe

When I get a tune it will be AED Lund or Kevin

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
zsommer79

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
When I get a tune it will be AED Lund or Kevin
Kevin?, more info please.

I have been looking around too lately and AED and Lund both seem to have pretty good track records.
zsommer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
NZERO21

I have read around and well, some say its good and others talk about other types of tunes, and of course I also hear about the shop tune. Then I come across the Ford Racing Boss Power pack, where you get the tune, air intake, and the boss manifold to increase the hp to about 50-60 hp. So I figured I ask the experts and see what your guys take was on it. Its hard to really make the decision but thanks to your feedback I will begin further research on custom tune with a shop. I mean even American Muscle stated that they will provide free tunes for life on the Bama tune so it got me thinking.

Sounds to me that this is one to get further research since the Power Pack runs about 1k so I wanted to see if I should get the tune, inake manifold, and air intake seperately or all in one pack.

If anyone has done a tune, let us know what you though of it and share your experience.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
Haven't heard anything bad about Bama tunes? Guess you don't read much. Bama is know to be the worst of the mail tunes out there. Like 29deg of timing bad
Oh wow! I didn't see that. Also keep in mind, since I am not looking to tune so I am not searching for information on that either. So the information I have seen hasn't been negative regarding BAMA. I don't imagine their tunes are that off across the board though. But that's enough to deter me from trying once, yikes. Don't suppose you might have a link to that particular thread would you?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 01-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by zsommer79 View Post
Kevin?, more info please.

I have been looking around too lately and AED and Lund both seem to have pretty good track records.
From what I have read, Lund is the best.

-Alex

Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
rriddle3

Each of us that has a tune will swear that company is the best and that's why we went with it. There are several good ones out there without a nickel's difference between them.

Since you have an automatic I recommend not changing the rear gear ratio from factory. The transmission gearing for your first two gears are plenty low already. Ford made an impressive set-up with the auto trans system.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
rlhay2

I do not have a Coyote based Mustang, so take this with a grain of salt.

Any tune is only as good as the customer service and after-sale support.

When making this decision, there is no such thing as too much information.

My experiences with mail order tunes is exactly why I appreciate my relationship with local shops!! Strongly consider fostering a relationship with a local entity before you go mail order.

But if you insist on using a mail order tune: VMP > Lund.
This is primarily due to BJ's level of customer support.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
JDMLOL

Opinions and attitudes towards Bama will change depending on who you talk to. These cars used to have issues with cylinder eight taking a shit. Some say in the earlier days of the coyote that people with Bama tunes had an increased likelihood of this issue and the tunes could cause other issues as well. Others will say the number eight issue was because of a shitty factory tune that could cause a too lean condition in cylinder eight and an aftermarket tune would correct the problem. So there are a lot of mixed opinions on the matter. I don't care because Bama now stands behind their tune with a warranty. If and when I go forced induction I'll change to someone with more experience with FI but for now I have no issues with my Bama tune.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
re-rx7
Banned

Ive had a Bama tune for quite sometime and no problems. If you just have simple boltons a mail order tune is just IMO.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Darkhelmet22

My car runs fine on my bama tune. I'm going to do some data logging on my car but I'm not getting bent out of shape on all timing comments.

Hypermotive Tune | Pypes Longtubes and O/R X | Corsa Sports | H&R Race Springs | Eibach panhard bar | BMR LCAs | BMR relo brackets | Koni yellows | Eibach sway bars | Ground Control CC plates | MGW shifter | SVE Drifts |
Darkhelmet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
NZERO21

That is some great feedback guys. All information is greatly appreciated and that is the reason we have forums. To get the experience from one another and help each other out. So here is a simple video explaining the bama tune and the Boss Intake. I'll try to see the information regarding the tune but I like all information posted here. I think it will be helpful for those who will be or are thinking of pulling the trigger on the tune.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
re-rx7
Banned

What vid?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote