Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
GTOphil

Default How do I know Bama didn't ruin anything?

DISCLAIMER: I'm already headed to True Street soon for a dyno tune so please don't respond with "get a real tune."

Yes...it's another thread about Bama.

I did a data log Saturday because I had been talking about making SURE my car was safe even though Bama swore their tunes were. I bought a tuner and 3 tunes last August. I've only put about 3k miles on the car since then and I don't drive it hard. I go WOT every once in a while but not often and I have never raced it. My car is also essentially stock- just an axle back. 2011 A6.

Anyway, I sent the data log to them and they said they've made some changes to timing, etc and that there were some things they could change on my tune anyway.

I got it back and put it in the car but it's freezing so I haven't driven it yet.

Here's my question: looking at the data log I'm worried (because everybody freaks out about #8) about knock. Where any knock was shown did the car do what it should have to correct the issue? How do I know that there wasn't any actual damage done?

Ryan, from Bama, said that he saw some things that could be changed but that there was nothing that would have caused any damage to the engine. Since the first tune was "supposed" to be safe how do I know I'm ok and how do I know the new one will be?

Sorry to ramble...guess all this recent reading on here about #8 just has me spooked. Thanks.

-Phil
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Slowstang1_jgw

I have read from other forums of issues with #8 without any tunes loaded. I have run my Bama tune for over a year no issues, I have Jon Lund tune also not much difference.
Slowstang1_jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
downtime!

The cylinder 8 issue was pretty much an '11 only thing, and that was simply the aftermarket tuners learning the ins and outs of the new computer system. I've ran VMP, Bama, Gearheads, HPP and back to Gearheads tunes in my car since day two of ownership. I'm now at 48,000 miles, 22,000 of which have been running the Kenne Bell and show no signs of issues (other than a slightly damaged transmission! LOL!).

Do you have any reason to think you have hurt your car? Is it running badly, missing, down on power in any way?

Cylinder 8 meltdowns don't happen to cars that don't get beat on fairly regularly.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
my95z28

Looking at the datalogs, whenever the car sees knock it should retard timing? I believe thats how it works but someone else can verify.
my95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Just don't beat on it until you get it to TS. As long as you don't have any tale tell signs like misfire, bucking, surging, tail pipe smoke etc you should be okay.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
GTOphil

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Just don't beat on it until you get it to TS. As long as you don't have any tale tell signs like misfire, bucking, surging, tail pipe smoke etc you should be okay.
Yeah there is NOTHING in the way the car works that would make me think it's actually damaged.

I just got to reading about the timing Bama runs (which they've dialed back now) and seeing some knock in the data log just got me spooked.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
The cylinder 8 issue was pretty much an '11 only thing, and that was simply the aftermarket tuners learning the ins and outs of the new computer system. I've ran VMP, Bama, Gearheads, HPP and back to Gearheads tunes in my car since day two of ownership. I'm now at 48,000 miles, 22,000 of which have been running the Kenne Bell and show no signs of issues (other than a slightly damaged transmission! LOL!).

Do you have any reason to think you have hurt your car? Is it running badly, missing, down on power in any way?

Cylinder 8 meltdowns don't happen to cars that don't get beat on fairly regularly.
agree
Originally Posted by Slowstang1_jgw View Post
I have read from other forums of issues with #8 without any tunes loaded. I have run my Bama tune for over a year no issues, I have Jon Lund tune also not much difference.
Bama tunes are fine. You really are wasting more money on nonsense when your car runs fine. Ive had bama tunes for over a yr and 20k miles. Runs just fine.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
Yeah there is NOTHING in the way the car works that would make me think it's actually damaged.

I just got to reading about the timing Bama runs (which they've dialed back now) and seeing some knock in the data log just got me spooked.
You should take what you read on the boards with a grain of salt. There are a LOT of internet mechanics (especially the younger crowd who don't turn their own wrenches at all) who just read something online somewhere only to regurgitate it elsewhere. If people see something often enough then it must be true when its really just garbage being passed around. We have a couple members on this board who do that very thing. lol

But we also have members and sponsors who know their stuff you can get good solid information from. Kevin (04sleeper) is an encyclopedia worth of knowledge and information and Sean/Clint at TS really know their stuff too.

To me, it doesn't make any sense to buy cheap tunes online in order to save a few bucks over having a custom local tune that will be optimal in real time and in the environment the car is going to be driven in. It's an unnecessary risk to a very expensive motor to risk to save a few bucks on a tune that isn't giving you your best bang for the your dollar.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
GTOphil

*edited*

Last edited by GTOphil; 02-11-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
GTOphil

I spoke with one of the actual tuners at Bama for about 45 minutes. He looked over the data log with me, gave me some more in-depth and technical information about the knock sensors and various other aspects and I do feel better.

Their timing isn't as aggressive as it once was and I have a new tune uploaded already. I also need to cycle my gas more often since sometimes my car sits for 4-5 days at a time (or more depending on weather and schedule) and the data log didn't show consistent knock so it could be gas related. No more QT for me. (I don't use Wal-Mart or HEB either). I always use the RaceTrac here in town that's constantly busy.

I'm told the ecu will pull what it needs to protect the car and since I know it wasn't happening all the time I feel better about it AND since I've only driven 3k miles on that tune anyway. So I'm assuming the damage that this forum and others have freaked me out about is either minimal or non-existent.

Thanks for the replies so far. I feel a little more comfortable about the new tune I'm putting in.

****STILL going to True Street soon for a tune. Just FYI.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I spoke with one of the actual tuners at Bama for about 45 minutes. He looked over the data log with me, gave me some more in-depth and technical information about the knock sensors and various other aspects and I do feel better.

Their timing isn't as aggressive as it once was and I have a new tune uploaded already. I also need to cycle my gas more often since sometimes my car sits for 4-5 days at a time (or more depending on weather and schedule) and the data log didn't show consistent knock so it could be gas related. No more QT for me. (I don't use Wal-Mart or HEB either). I always use the RaceTrac here in town that's constantly busy.

I'm told the ecu will pull what it needs to protect the car and since I know it wasn't happening all the time I feel better about it AND since I've only driven 3k miles on that tune anyway. So I'm assuming the damage that this forum and others have freaked me out about is either minimal or non-existent.

Thanks for the replies so far. I feel a little more comfortable about the new tune I'm putting in.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Slowstang1_jgw

"You should take what you read on the boards with a grain of salt. There are a LOT of internet mechanics (especially the younger crowd who don't turn their own wrenches at all) who just read something online somewhere only to regurgitate it elsewhere. If people see something often enough then it must be true when its really just garbage being passed around. We have a couple members on this board who do that very thing. lol

But we also have members and sponsors who know their stuff you can get good solid information from. Kevin (04sleeper) is an encyclopedia worth of knowledge and information and Sean/Clint at TS really know their stuff too.

To me, it doesn't make any sense to buy cheap tunes online in order to save a few bucks over having a custom local tune that will be optimal in real time and in the environment the car is going to be driven in. It's an unnecessary risk to a very expensive motor to risk to save a few bucks on a tune that isn't giving you your best bang for the your dollar".

Everyone has there opinions too, to each there own.
Slowstang1_jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
DirtyD

Correct. The damage isn't as wide spread as the internet makes it seem. However, those people that are actual Mustang people, who beat on their car, drive it hard, as it was meant to be driven, and push the limits are going to the be the ones on the forums swearing when their cars blow, because they are part of the "community" and not the typical Bama followers out there who buy their tunes/intake/exhaust and never really take part in the community aspect of it.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
46Tbird

Yeah, the cylinder 8 thing is a complete myth. It only affects 2011 cars. It is due to poor aftermarket tunes and running cheap gas.

LMFAO. Yeah. Right.

FWIW, I think BAMA figured out any problems with their tunes long ago, so the likelihood of having a "bad" one from them is low. I've seen many cars going deep 11s on BAMA tunes. Still, getting a tune from a local tuner is probably going to make more power and will probably be as safe.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Slowstang1_jgw View Post

Everyone has there opinions too, to each there own.
You're right. To each to their own and everyone has their own opinion. The problem is when one can't differentiate between their opinion and what is a fact when they get their information from non-credible sources and regurgitating them as facts. It's up to each owner to do their due diligence when it comes to researching issues rather than relying on someone else they don't know to do it for them blindly on the internet.