Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
DirtyD

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
Isn't the law that if they determine it wasn't the tune then they can't void the warranty for something they just said didn't cause it?

I don't see how that's right. Either way I don't have a warranty other than factory.
It's muddy water, really. There is a law the technically prevents it, but you would spend so much time and money between lawyers and court fees it's really not worth the hassle.

If you need any help datalogging, many of us here can help.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #32
GTOphil

Well I've got the SCT iTsx device and I've got the cord and I've got the LiveLink from SCT downloaded on a laptop.

I just need to actually go do it I guess. I assume I just plug it in, plug it into the laptop and then save the datalog. I only wish the cord was longer...the cord we have that I "think" goes with is (it fits regardless) is kinda short.

Now I've just got to decide if I want to do it today (30 degrees) or wait until next week when it's slightly warmer. Any advice?
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
GTOphil

I'm still not sure about a custom tune. I want one and I hear good things about both places but TSM is quite a bit further for me than Arlington and it seems all of y'all are saying since I just have an axle-back, leave the Bama tune on.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #34
DirtyD

I'd go out and do it tomorrow afternoon.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #35
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Tim would you say a Tune is needed with a O/R X or H? From what I've researched the COT protection only kicks in on decel? The worst I can see happening is you run a tad bit richer and a check engine light. SOme tunes like AED and such have specified they dont change anything just remove the Check Engine light? Input?
When you remove the cat's with no tune changes, it indeed becomes rich. But it actually over-richens itself so much so that it's a power losing state of richness. It exhibits that state under cruising, WOT the whole bit. Not just decel.

So, yes. If you delete cat's you'll need to make more changes to the computer than the car is able to handle on it's own or simply turning off a code.

OP; if you've already paid for a tune and need changes for O2's to be made etc. call SCT and have them make the changes and go from there until your ready for custom. Axle-backs need no changes as they are post O2 and you won't experience CEL's.

Last edited by TrueStreetTim; 02-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
TrueStreetTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #36
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
When you remove the cat's with no tune changes, it indeed becomes rich. But it actually over-richens itself so much so that it's a power losing state of richness. It exhibits that state under cruising, WOT the whole bit. Not just decel.

So, yes. If you delete cat's you'll need to make more changes to the computer than the car is able to handle on it's own or simply turning off a code.
Thanks for the input Tim.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #37
GTOphil

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
OP; if you've already paid for a tune and need changes for O2's to be made etc. call SCT and have them make the changes and go from there until your ready for custom. Axle-backs need no changes as they are post O2 and you won't experiencce CEL's.
Thank you for the response. I had the axle back when I got the tune/tuner from American Muscle/Bama...so the tunes are the same and I don't need changes.

I guess I just kinda got spooked by some of the guys on here talking about #8 this and canned tunes that.

Having said that I DO realize a custom tune is best (had my GTO tuned for every little thing I changed) but since I'm so close to stock it seems as if everybody suggest Bama is fine for now.

The only reason I want to datalog is to ensure the tune is plenty safe- though they did say they made some changes to their tunes since last summer so I won't be opposed to extra power.

The two MAIN reasons for a custom tune would be to ensure safety and get more power if possible.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #38
Soulowd

GTO just posted better Dyno results so you can read them better man

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #39
GTOphil

Thanks, I'm really thinking the Bama is ok but I'd like to be sure it's safe and if there's more power to be found I'm ok with that too.

So it's TSM or GH.

Do you guys have an kind of clue what a custom tune should look like on an "almost" stock car?

Remember...I have the girly transmission. (coming from a long line of manuals I freaking love it though)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #40
downtime!

You actually have the strong transmission. The manuals are made of glass in these cars.

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
Thanks, I'm really thinking the Bama is ok but I'd like to be sure it's safe and if there's more power to be found I'm ok with that too.

So it's TSM or GH.

Do you guys have an kind of clue what a custom tune should look like on an "almost" stock car?

Remember...I have the girly transmission. (coming from a long line of manuals I freaking love it though)
Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #41
Futwa

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
You actually have the strong transmission. The manuals are made of glass in these cars.
Fact
Futwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #42
rriddle3

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
Oh shit.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #43
GTOphil

Yeah I know the autos hold up well in the 5.0...I just mean to a lot of "real men" it's a girl's transmission.

I've only ever had a manual and I wasn't sure what I'd think...but actually switching to one I find myself wanting to drive it more often than my manual cars, it's better to cruise in AND I'm not out thousands for good clutches.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #44
blownaltered
I have a small penis

GTO for now personally I would stay with what you have till you change more things or run boost. You aren't going to get enough power for it to matter. As for you future tune I would take it to true street, I have had work done at both shops and I can tell you who knows how to tune and stands behind there work and which one doesn't. That's why my car goes to true street.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #45
GTOphil

I'll most likely take it there and I probably will do it now...mainly because I'd like to know for sure that it's safe and I can't know that with my current 93 Bama tune as easily.

I did data log and sent that off this afternoon- we'll see what they say when they get back.

I do wish they charged the same price ($350 at GH) because they're also further away from me so that's more $$ for a tune and then extra gas. But I'll figure that out I guess.