Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Give me a call at the shop if you'd like. Ask any questions and address any concerns you may have with tuning whether it be "mail order" or otherwise. My typical pitch: If you like what I have to say, great! If not...that's cool too!
TrueStreetTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
Give me a call at the shop if you'd like. Ask any questions and address any concerns you may have with tuning whether it be "mail order" or otherwise. My typical pitch: If you like what I have to say, great! If not...that's cool too!
Tim would you say a Tune is needed with a O/R X or H? From what I've researched the COT protection only kicks in on decel? The worst I can see happening is you run a tad bit richer and a check engine light. SOme tunes like AED and such have specified they dont change anything just remove the Check Engine light? Input?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
DirtyD

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Tim would you say a Tune is needed with a O/R X or H? From what I've researched the COT protection only kicks in on decel? The worst I can see happening is you run a tad bit richer and a check engine light. SOme tunes like AED and such have specified they dont change anything just remove the Check Engine light? Input?
You, you will need a tune when you delete the cats. If not, the car will run open loop and just dump fuel trying to cool the cats that aren't there anymore. You will run rich and get horrible gas mileage and a putrid smell.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
You, you will need a tune when you delete the cats. If not, the car will run open loop and just dump fuel trying to cool the cats that aren't there anymore. You will run rich and get horrible gas mileage and a putrid smell.
Your talking about COT protection. It only happens on Decel. Rear 02's do not control anything. they have a voltage reading of .1 to 1. The front Wideband 02's read .1 to 5 volts they would tell the ecu to run in open loop.

Last edited by re-rx7; 02-07-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #20
Courtesy Flush

Your talking about COT protection. It only happens on Decel. Rear 02's do not control anything. they have a voltage reading of .1 to 1. The front Wideband 02's read .1 to 5 volts they would tell the ecu to run in open loop.
Im not speaking for the rest, but a good tune has more done than just turning off COTP & nannie lights on these cars with no cats. Thats just one part of it.

Last edited by Courtesy Flush; 02-07-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
Im not speaking for the rest, but a good tune has more done than just turning off COTP & nannie lights on these cars with no cats. Thats just one part of it.
Thats why im asking Tim to chime in. I already have a tune. just needing to know if it needs another one. All your doing with the exhaust is increasing flow after the combustion process so the power gain comes form the flow not the actual tune.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
GTOphil

So nobody else has an opinion about just staying with the Bama tune if I'm pretty much stock?

And D- if Ford determines that it's not the tune and the tune didn't cause it, then they can't void the warranty for having a tune if the tune didn't cause it.

I'm not worried about that- just saying.
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #23
Courtesy Flush

Thats why im asking Tim to chime in. I already have a tune. just needing to know if it needs another one. All your doing with the exhaust is increasing flow after the combustion process so the power gain comes form the flow not the actual tune.
I understand. If you currently have cats with your tune and will be removing the cats, yes your tune needs to be updated.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Courtesy Flush

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
So nobody else has an opinion about just staying with the Bama tune if I'm pretty much stock?

And D- if Ford determines that it's not the tune and the tune didn't cause it, then they can't void the warranty for having a tune if the tune didn't cause it.

If you're happy with the car and the way it runs, stick with your bama tune. Axelbacks do virtually nothing for performance enhancement, so your car is essentially stock with a tune. Switching to another tune is an option but not necessary.

If you just want more information about the status of how your car runs...datalog.datalog.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #25
re-rx7
Banned

Agreed 100%.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #26
GTOphil

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
If you're happy with the car and the way it runs, stick with your bama tune. Axelbacks do virtually nothing for performance enhancement, so your car is essentially stock with a tune. Switching to another tune is an option but not necessary.

If you just want more information about the status of how your car runs...datalog.datalog.
Yep that's what I'm doing. I just got off the phone with Bama.

I'm going to see what they want done and send it to them- and then do it again when it's warm I guess. I'm not sure what differences a datalog at 30 degrees will have that may affect the tune at 100.

Yeah- I don't mind being stock with a tune for right now- it still doesn't "feel" slower than my GTO did with 430 (fat pig and top end cam). I'm saving for a s/c and doing all my power at once.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
DirtyD

Sadly, they still will. A dealership won't be able to go as deep as Ford themselves will into determining the failure, but knowing that you've tuned the car, even if it didn't directly cause it, good luck trying to convince them otherwise.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
DirtyD

Yep that's what I'm doing. I just got off the phone with Bama.

I'm going to see what they want done and send it to them- and then do it again when it's warm I guess. I'm not sure what differences a datalog at 30 degrees will have that may affect the tune at 100.

Yeah- I don't mind being stock with a tune for right now- it still doesn't "feel" slower than my GTO did with 430 (fat pig and top end cam). I'm saving for a s/c and doing all my power at once.
Car might add/pull a little timing, but not much.

Do you have an auto or manual?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
GTOphil

Sadly, they still will. A dealership won't be able to go as deep as Ford themselves will into determining the failure, but knowing that you've tuned the car, even if it didn't directly cause it, good luck trying to convince them otherwise.
Isn't the law that if they determine it wasn't the tune then they can't void the warranty for something they just said didn't cause it?

I don't see how that's right. Either way I don't have a warranty other than factory.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
GTOphil

Car might add/pull a little timing, but not much.

Do you have an auto or manual?
A6.

Downloaded everything from SCT I need to datalog.