Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
GTOphil

Default Tuning Conundrum

Ok guys I have an issue.

My car is perfect, I have zero issues with it. It's close to stock. I have an axle back and an iTsx SCT tuner with 3 tunes from Bama.

I realize there are a LOT of people who hate these types of tunes- though I haven't ever had issues with them and my car doesn't get driven often or had.

I want a custom tune soon (just because it's optimal, not because of issues) BUT....

WHO? WHERE?

I have NO idea who to trust. Some say True Street, some say GearHeads, some say Hypermotive...and then of course I could go with SNL Performance but I don't know who does their Ford tuning.

How do I know I'm getting a good/safe tune for my 5.0 so I can sleep in peace?

I'd appreciate advice.
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
DirtyD

Email tunes are still good tunes, you just have to get them from the right places. Datalog, datalog, datalog. That's the key.

I personally have had a JPC and VMP tune. Both are great, each with their own "small" pros and cons. It comes down to who you feel you will be comfortable with.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Soulowd

GTO, you have seen the nightmare I have been going through...Here is what i can say...I have been going to Travis @ Gearheads since prob 2006 and everyone I talk to that knows anything about performance shops around DFW knows he is pretty high up on the totem Pole as far as reputation/respect. He stands behind his work hardcore. Ill let you know how my Dyno Tune goes tomorrow for sure though man.

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
GTOphil

I admittedly haven't dataloged the Bama tune. I run WOT occasionally...but I've owned the car for a year and put 5k on it. I don't street race, just the occasional mashing it so the kids laugh.

My car is so close to stock at this time I'm not concerned about the Bama tune- especially because they have a 3/36 warranty on the engine in case of a #8 issue <----that to me says a lot about their confidence the tuning has been perfected over the last few years.

I also ran across a thread on another forum where a guy did some extensive research and noted that a LOT of the #8 problems came from a particular PCM code from cars built in the middle of 2011- indicating that perhaps there was a bad batch of ecus- and of course early on I know there were tuners who didn't know what they were doing.

I sent Travis an email. I've talked to Tim @ TSM. My problem is I'm just not sure who to trust my baby to since they WON'T be offering a warranty (and no I wouldn't expect them to). GH is a well known mustang name...I just want to get it tuned safely and if there's more power there- cool.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
downtime!

Gearheads got 435 out of mine with the custom dyno tune, and, most importantly, they were able to sort out a tuning nightmare after the blower installation and initial tuning was done by another shop. Travis has tuned every Mustang I've owned and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
re-rx7
Banned

Remember that all out hp is not the ultimate goal. Drivability and curve are more important to me then peak #'s.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
GTOphil

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Remember that all out hp is not the ultimate goal. Drivability and curve are more important to me then peak #'s.
Oh I understand. I'm not out for all the power I can get---as long as it feels better than stock (which the Bama tune already does) then it'll be fine.

I'm leaning toward GearHeads based solely on actually having been there before and the fact that they're primarily a Mustang shop. But TSM is #2 for the time being and I've never heard anything bad about them.

I'm waiting on an email back from Travis for one because I have no idea what they charge compared to TSM. I understand "It's a $30k car" and "You get what you pay for" but we also ALL know that $1 is $1 and every one of 'em adds up.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #8
Soulowd

for a Naturally aspirated tune is 350$ and for turbo/supercharger tune its $400 @ GH

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
GTOphil

Originally Posted by Soulowd View Post
for a Naturally aspirated tune is 350$ and for turbo/supercharger tune its $400 @ GH
Thanks! I'd assume since I'm close to stock (just an axle back- but it's the BEST one lol) that it wouldn't be too tough to get it done.

It's been since like '06-'07 that I've been to GH. A group of us with SRT4s went one time for some dynoing.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
Thanks! I'd assume since I'm close to stock (just an axle back- but it's the BEST one lol) that it wouldn't be too tough to get it done.

It's been since like '06-'07 that I've been to GH. A group of us with SRT4s went one time for some dynoing.
If that's all you have done I'd stay with the bama and save yourself some cash.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #11
GTOphil

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
If that's all you have done I'd stay with the bama and save yourself some cash.
I guess I can datalog and make sure it's safe? I haven't done that yet but my tuner is certainly capable of it.

I just want it to be safe.

Although...I have the PDF saved from Bama where they warranty engine problems relating to #8 problems for 3 years or 36k miles. I personally think if they're willing to do that it says a lot about the changes in 5.0 tuning since the Coyote first came out.

Anybody else agree with rx7 since I just have axle back?

****I want to be much faster, but I'm trying to save up $5k for a supercharger and get all my power at once rather than piecing it together like I've done with every other car I've had. It ain't easy, lol.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #12
Dan12GT

If you aren't changing parameters around more inlet air or outlet exhaust a tune won't be as beneficial if you had a CAI / off-road pipe. I myself am holding out on a tune as well until I get something that really will add to the benefits of a tune. Right now I have a non-tuned edition Airaid intake and catback. Once I delete the cats the intake insert it coming out and a tune is going in.

Also data logging never hurt anything. Bama is generally very conservative with their tuning so you generally see the least gains from them as compared to other tuning options. Also some people have had problems with drive-ability.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
GTOphil

So it sounds like I'm good as I sit, unless I just want some more power?

I've had ZERO drive-ability issues with Bama-it's perfect, but I still will datalog when it warms up just so they can look it over.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
fordplay

Here I'm going to set up a locker with fire suits.. let me put mine on.... ok.. I have been more than happy with the guys at bama. I got scared during my first year with my bama tune buying into the hype and tried 3 other tunes.. After finding fault in those and having one tell me we won't change it, that's how we set them up. *click* I called bama . They listened and sent me new tunes then to ease my mind data logged them for free and explained to me what was going on.. they have a file they keep on you , they encourage you to get free tunes from time to time as they revise their base tunes. I recommend bama and brookspeed. I won't mention the other's. I haven't had a local dyno tune.. I'd like to. I'd actually like to have a tuning geek as a ride along to tune my car but $400 is a lot to fix something that is not broken..
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
DirtyD

Just a note on that Bama #8 warranty. It's kind of a crap shoot BS warranty. If your motor blows, then Bama requires you to take it to a Ford dealer, yes, A FORD DEALER!, for them to inspect the engine and determine cause of destruction. If Ford determines it wasn't the tune, then Bama doesn't cover the motor, and now Ford won't be covering the motor because of the fact the car was tuned.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote