Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
GTOphil

Default Tune question

Ok I'll be getting a tune soon. Maybe not as soon as I'd want, but soon.

I have been looking on American Muscle since that's where I spend most of my mustang money and want the bluetooth one ($465?) that allows you to see stats of the car on your phone.

My question is this: I know there are people that hate Bama tunes but I've used them before.

What is the real-world difference between a Bama tune (that warranties the engine for #8 cylinder problem if anything happens with their tune) and a tune from the guy on here??

Sorry if this is throwing crap into a fan, but I'm curious. I appreciate the help.

The reason why I ask is that Bama will only warranty it IF you haven't used another tune prior to theirs.
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I'm not sure who you are reffering to as the "other guy on here" as a tuner.

Bama tunes were and still are advertised being tuned by Mike Wilson who hasn't been there for quite some time and is back in here in Texas. So the tunes are being written by God only knows who. I wouldn't personally trust one of these expensive motors to someone I didn't know or have experience with.

If you're dead set on a email tune, AED and Lund seem to have the strongest followings and both get great reviews on customers service.

However, the best bet is always to have a custom tune done by tuner who is actually putting his hands on the car as the pulls are being made in real time rather than reading a datalog and the damage has already been done.

TrueStreet Motorsports in McKinney is a great place to get this done with solid customer service. I highly recommend giving them a try and staying away from Bama tunes.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
GTOphil

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm not sure who you are reffering to as the "other guy on here" as a tuner.

Bama tunes were and still are advertised being tuned by Mike Wilson who hasn't been there for quite some time and is back in here in Texas. So the tunes are being written by God only knows who. I wouldn't personally trust one of these expensive motors to someone I didn't know or have experience with.

If you're dead set on a email tune, AED and Lund seem to have the strongest followings and both get great reviews on customers service.

However, the best bet is always to have a custom tune done by tuner who is actually putting his hands on the car as the pulls are being made in real time rather than reading a datalog and the damage has already been done.

TrueStreet Motorsports in McKinney is a great place to get this done with solid customer service. I highly recommend giving them a try and staying away from Bama tunes.
Sorry, I forgot to mention TrueStreet...that's to whom I was referring when I said the "other guy" on here.

I guess I could give him a call and see. If I were doing a dyno tune though I need to check with my friend who own/operates a shop in Haslet and see if he does 5.0s.

Any clue what $$$ the custom tune would be? I was thinking almost $500 for the tuner from AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Grandpa
I> /\/\

http://dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1840
Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Luke

I've got a bama tune and have no issues with the performance of the car and the a/f looked good on TrueStreet's dyno. That being said, I think the tuning of the auto may be lacking a little and my car will be heading to TrueStreet after the converter and nitrous is all finished up.

And what shop is it in Haslet, Brooks' place?

Last edited by Luke; 05-29-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
DirtyD

#8 is no longer a problem with tuning these motors, unless the tuner in question doesn't know WTF they are doing tuning a 5.0. Hence why Bama gives the warranty. It's been proven that messing with the knock sensors when the 5.0 first came out contributed to these failures, and the legit tuners no longer mess with them. Bama tunes tend to be very conservative for the reason they are email tunes, done without datalogs with a simple list of your mods, and because they warranty their tunes for #8, they make it even more conservative because they still are scared of something possibly happening to a motor tuned by them.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
GTOphil

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I've got a bama tune and have no issues with the performance of the car and the a/f looked good on TrueStreet's dyno. That being said, I think the tuning of the auto may be lacking a little and my car will be heading to TrueStreet after the converter and nitrous is all finished up.

And what shop is it in Haslet, Brooks' place?
I don't really want to post it- I assume its against forum rules since he's not a vendor here.

You can pm me though.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
I don't really want to post it- I assume its against forum rules since he's not a vendor here.

You can pm me though.
It's fine. Post it up.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
GTOphil

SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Company

Steve is the owner; he's the friend I mentioned.

Does pretty much anything performance related you can think up. Great guy, awesome shop.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
merlinmol

I personally recommend HPP in Lewisville, they did a pro job tuning my car and a few others I know.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
GTOphil

Thanks, since I found out SNL does 5.0s then I'm pretty sure I'll go there. They did all the work on my Goat and my old SRT-4...back when people still had those cars. I miss my .50 trim sometimes.

From what I understand they have 2 different tuners- one for GM and one for Ford. I'm not sure who touches Dodges but I know they get them in, I've seen at least a few SRT 8s there.