Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Suspension

Suspension Post up questions about your Mustang's suspension or ride quality

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
blondieracing

Default BMR Progressive Springs

So my boyfriend and I installed the BMR progressive springs yesterday on my 2014. We also put in a BMR panhard bar. While driving there isn't noise, but when hitting a bump there is. Is that normal? I never had the noise with my eibach pro springs on my 2010. We checked to make sure everything was tightened, and the noise could be due to settling, but just wanted to ask.
blondieracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
re-rx7
Banned

What kind of noise?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
DirtyD

The noise you hear is likely the sound of the panhard bar. It's normal when installing an aftermarket PHB since the bushings are slightly stiffer. This is, of course, that I suspect the noise is coming from the rear end.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
blondieracing

re-rx7, as gay as this will sound it is a jiggling noise. And DirtyD, yes part of the noise is the panhard, which you just made me feel better, but the other noise is coming from the front suspension which is the jiggling noise, like it is lose or something. The car drives fine no issue there, just the noise concerns me.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by blondieracing View Post
re-rx7, as gay as this will sound it is a jiggling noise. And DirtyD, yes part of the noise is the panhard, which you just made me feel better, but the other noise is coming from the front suspension which is the jiggling noise, like it is lose or something. The car drives fine no issue there, just the noise concerns me.
That is intriguing . It could be where the spring meets the top hat not being secure or seated correctly.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
DirtyD

Did you install the springs on stock struts? Did you also reuse the stock strut mounts? If you did, did they come apart at all? Also, did you make sure to reinstalled the rubber sleeve from the stock springs onto the BMR springs?

If you didn't reinstall the sleeve, then what you are hearing is just spring chatter. Since the springs are progressive, you saw that the bottom coils are tighter wound together. Since it takes a certain amount of preload force to initially compress the spring, the passenger side spring is likely to chatter on the spring seat of the strut. Mine does this only when I don't have a passenger riding, and I'm on a slightly washboard/bumpy road, making the spring compress and decompress quickly.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Did you install the springs on stock struts? Did you also reuse the stock strut mounts? If you did, did they come apart at all? Also, did you make sure to reinstalled the rubber sleeve from the stock springs onto the BMR springs?

If you didn't reinstall the sleeve, then what you are hearing is just spring chatter. Since the springs are progressive, you saw that the bottom coils are tighter wound together. Since it takes a certain amount of preload force to initially compress the spring, the passenger side spring is likely to chatter on the spring seat of the strut. Mine does this only when I don't have a passenger riding, and I'm on a slightly washboard/bumpy road, making the spring compress and decompress quickly.
Informative DirtyD. Great post.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
DirtyD

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Informative DirtyD. Great post.
Thanks. I chased that problem for awhile. When I finally got the chance to install my new struts, we ended up wrapping the first or second bottom coil in electrical tape because I forgot to get my sleeves off my stock springs. For a few months the noise was gone, but I think the tape is basically gone now from constant rubbing under compression that it is starting to be heard again.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
re-rx7
Banned

I remember in the Honda scene some companies actually sent Rubber rings to put around the coils. Is it just extremely dropped springs that do it?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
JDBishopArts

Is it coming from the front or rear? Springs don't usually make a "jiggly" noise. It's more of a clunk or a squeak. You don't want to hear jiggly. That usually means something isn't tightened correctly. First find out if it's coming from the front or rear.
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Rydawg1

If it's a thumpy/jiggly kinda of noise coming from the rear, when going over bumps I found that my air pump in the tire well bounces up and down sometimes. Be sure to check that it's not loose or shaking around.

2013 SG 400A GT Premium w/Brembos, VMP TVS 2.3 stage 2, Fore return style fuel system, ID1000's, 20" Shelby CS70's, Eibach Pro System Suspension Kit, BMR K member, UCA, LCA, adj. Pan hard Bar, Shaftmaster Aluminum Driveshaft, McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, McLeod lightened steel flywheel, MBRP race exhaust with Lethal O/R H, JLT oil separator
Rydawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
blondieracing

So we figured out the panhard bar issue and that is because we didnt grease it. We did put the rubber sleeve onto the new spring, but I think the springs needed to settle some as I don't hear the noise.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
DirtyD

Originally Posted by blondieracing View Post
So we figured out the panhard bar issue and that is because we didnt grease it. We did put the rubber sleeve onto the new spring, but I think the springs needed to settle some as I don't hear the noise.
Glad you got it mostly figured out. Hopefully the springs stay quite for you.