Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Suspension

Suspension Post up questions about your Mustang's suspension or ride quality

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
theduke

Default Back springs only..thoughts?

Ok so obviously the wheel gap in the back of these cars is awful. Since I don't do anything half-assed I've put off suspension until I have the cash to do the WHOLE thing at once. May be awhile since being a professional musician is the only thing as expensive to maintain as a car hobby haha
Is there a temp solution that will at least make that gap tolerable without upsetting geometry / mismatched spring rates / needing a panhard bar etc...?
I've read up on those 55d springs and also heard of guys using just the rears from a set. Anyone have experience with either of these?
My original thoughts were to decide on springs for the long haul and just build suspension around that but seems like an incredible waste of time and money if I end up changing them later.
theduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
PLASMAN

Default Back springs only..thoughts?

BMR sells them in pairs for this reason. It would level the car some but you will still have nose dive if the front doesn't get changed
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
theduke

Originally Posted by PLASMAN View Post
BMR sells them in pairs for this reason. It would level the car some but you will still have nose dive if the front doesn't get changed
Cool, I'll look into that.
It's just a visual thing for me right now so I'll address all the other issues when I do the complete package. Just don't want to cause any other issues that aren't already present by just doing rears.
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
46Tbird

Those "55D" springs are just a pair of rears, and they're designed to level the ride height of Brembo GTs and Boss 302s. They cost MORE than a good set of springs for these cars and IMO they're a waste of time and money. Just figure out what springs you want to run and get them, no sense spending twice as much money and time as you need to.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Doug1227

No offense, but in one breath you say you don't do anything half-assed, and in the next, you're talking about applying a band-aid until you do things right. Sounds half-assed to me. Save your money and put it towards doing it the right way.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Dominic Toretto

I was considering this myself. However, I decided to just go with the Ford P springs and have the set at home now. Waiting until I get my tires to put everything on. If I don't like the height, I may just pay to have the front stock springs put back on.

-Alex
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
theduke

Originally Posted by Doug1227 View Post
No offense, but in one breath you say you don't do anything half-assed, and in the next, you're talking about applying a band-aid until you do things right. Sounds half-assed to me. Save your money and put it towards doing it the right way.
Sounds offensive to me but ok...
$150 or so is a lot easier to drop at this point than 2G +. Was just curious if anyone had any experience doing that and had found a lowering spring with similar spring rate etc to drop the rear.
Car is a DD so simply lowering the back and retaining the same if not a tad better ride would be a slight improvement and well worth a small outlay in cash to me while saving to do the whole thing.
Seems no more or less half-assed than just doing springs all around and not addressing anything else, but I do see the cost of rears vs. all four corners argument going in favor of the whole set ( before alignment etc...)
Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Doug1227

Don't you know you can say anything you want as long as you say "no offense, but...." first? I just figured you would put that $150 towards what you really want....
Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
theduke

Ha I totally forgot that rule! Thanks for the subtle reminder..no offense
I totally get what you're saying but in the grand scheme of things $150 now to spare my nerve endings having to look at that every day isn't gonna prolong getting the whole suspension done the way I want it any longer. It's gonna be a good while either way
Old 06-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
re-rx7
Banned

What the reviews of a gt500 spring on the 5.0? Been trying to decide between them and Eibach or Ford racing.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote