Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
BV600

Default Boss302R Rods/Pistons/Crank Worth it?

http://www.jpcracing.com/boss-302r-piston-and-rod-set/
http://www.jpcracing.com/2012-boss-302-forged-crank/

Think its worth it for a budget build for around 800-900whp? I know I can get them both for around $1100 MAYBE cheaper? Any idea what it would cost for tear down and assembly?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
Dominic Toretto

Subscribing to this.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #3
draxxus131

900hp max reliably on that setup will not get you far for long. 600 HP, YES!! Even then anything is possible.

When your dealing with power at that range, you want only the good shit in your engine. Not to knock the Boss 302 internals. They are quite stout; matter of fact I plan to do a budget build through Tousley Ford. All of which will just keep peace of mind for only 500 hp or "Around There". My build is purely motor no adders.

The amount of torque being pushed through those rods at any launch, hell even downshifting and smashing the pedal to WOT will stretch and bend or sheer the rods EVENTUALLY. By that I mean very soon!

Do you plan on removing your own engine and doing majority of the work. If not, then let me put this into spectrum for you. Just to take out your motor is a minimum of $500, that is a general rule of thumb when it comes to shops and pricing.

A full tear down will run you about $250-350, and you're lucky if that includes being fully assembled after.
draxxus131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Bacadiesel

Dude that price is way too cheap. I don't think any shop will remove engine and rebuild for under a grand in labor.
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
BV600

Originally Posted by draxxus131 View Post
900hp max reliably on that setup will not get you far for long. 600 HP, YES!! Even then anything is possible.

When your dealing with power at that range, you want only the good shit in your engine. Not to knock the Boss 302 internals. They are quite stout; matter of fact I plan to do a budget build through Tousley Ford. All of which will just keep peace of mind for only 500 hp or "Around There". My build is purely motor no adders.

The amount of torque being pushed through those rods at any launch, hell even downshifting and smashing the pedal to WOT will stretch and bend or sheer the rods EVENTUALLY. By that I mean very soon!

Do you plan on removing your own engine and doing majority of the work. If not, then let me put this into spectrum for you. Just to take out your motor is a minimum of $500, that is a general rule of thumb when it comes to shops and pricing.

A full tear down will run you about $250-350, and you're lucky if that includes being fully assembled after.

I think the stock internals are plenty for 600whp, I think the boss can handle 700-800 no problem tuned correctly. I may be pushing my luck with 900. I was just thinking Budget minded on this if I only wanted 700-800.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
DirtyD

Boss rods are just slightly thicker than normal 5.0, aren't they? If I were to build my engine, I would do it once and be done with it.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Dominic Toretto

Anyone have pics of the Boss 302R rods and pistons next to the stock GT items?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Dan12GT

Originally Posted by Bacadiesel View Post
Dude that price is way too cheap. I don't think any shop will remove engine and rebuild for under a grand in labor.
^^^ This!

Most even head gasket jobs are near $1000.

That is why when I had compression problems with my old GT (which was probably more than just a head problem) I bought a certified used motor from a salvage company for $1300 and did the work myself.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

I've gone down this road and priced it all out. Not worth it.

A) The Boss rods and pistons are marginally better. Roughly 10% more power could be obtained, safely.

B) You still bring into play needing to replace other parts...ARP hardware, billet oil pump gears, Boss valve springs, Boss tensioners, head gaskets, Boss crank, etc.

C) If your block is damaged, machining will need to be done.

IMO, it's not worth it. For a little more more money, you can have a fully forged rotating assembly that will support much more power. The last thing you want to do, is spend all that money to buy the Boss parts for it to be replaced again. Spend the money once and get a quality motor. I don't trust many of the shops around here to build a motor, so my purchase will be a factory Ford assembled motor or Livernois.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
downtime!

CHP, Coast High Performance, has been doing modular Fords for along time. Here's a rotating assembly for our cars, that will slightly lower the CR for forced induction cars - http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-5-0L-C...5002-ps-4v.htm.

If you want a full on shortblock, try this one - http://www.coasthigh.com/15002-PS-F5...-f5.0l-asb.htm
Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
mtaylor7210

As the saying goes, if your poor or on a budget you can't afford to buy twice so buy quality the first time.
mtaylor7210 is offline   Reply With Quote