Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
fordplay

Default cat less

OK who has removed their cats here? Question, when you go for inspection do you have to put your cats back on or do they just plug in the obd2 ?
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Luke

The tune will take care of the light and obd2, but if they physically look you will fail. Worst case, if you go in and fail and they charge you, you can throw them back on and don't have to pay again as long as it's within 15 days.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
fordplay

Boo.. but has anyone been busted by this? They don't use a sniffer right?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
01BeansGt

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
The tune will take care of the light and obd2, but if they physically look you will fail. Worst case, if you go in and fail and they charge you, you can throw them back on and don't have to pay again as long as it's within 15 days.
This^
Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
Boo.. but has anyone been busted by this? They don't use a sniffer right?
Anything from 89 to 95 they use the sniffer. 96 and up just the ob2.
01BeansGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Oxford14Stang

All information above is correct. I'm a state inspector and we are suppose to check for cats during our inspection. Given there are plently of shops that do not do their job and check for them. As long as no check engine light is on I'd sy your nearly 80% in the will pass and maybe 20% that an actual inspector would check and fail you.

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
JDMLOL

Default Re: cat less

Aftermarket tunes that tune out the cats will show not ready on system readiness monitors. You can have one "not ready" and still pass. It's funny, ive heard these cars will pass a sniffer even without cats. Ive never had anyone do a visual on my inspections, I usually sit out and watch. Not to say they arent supposed to look underneath....

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
slim87gt

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Aftermarket tunes that tune out the cats will show not ready on system readiness monitors. You can have one "not ready" and still pass. It's funny, ive heard these cars will pass a sniffer even without cats. Ive never had anyone do a visual on my inspections, I usually sit out and watch. Not to say they arent supposed to look underneath....
True True. If you have an offroad on the 2005 and up it will not pass inspection visually or by the OBD2
Besides the cats dont rob that much power
slim87gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
svt-eric

no cats on my cobra. just got my inspection done a couple weeks ago and it passed.
svt-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Dan12GT

You will indeed pass if its tuned for it. I have had issues with my previous mustang where I took it in and they knew it had exhaust and put it on the drive on lift to check. That only happened one time though. Most like mentioned earlier will not bother to check if the light isn't on.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Selcouth

Simple way around that. Purchase a catalytic converter that has a straight pipe running through it.
Has the looks of a catalytic converter, but its technically not.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Luke

Originally Posted by slim87gt View Post
Besides the cats dont rob that much power
15rwhp is what vendors are claiming for o/r pipes, even if that's a little on the high side that's cheap horsepower.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
04sleeper
King of the Multi-quotes

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Aftermarket tunes that tune out the cats will show not ready on system readiness monitors.
Not if you know what you are doing.
04sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
JDMLOL

Default Re: cat less

Originally Posted by Selcouth View Post
Simple way around that. Purchase a catalytic converter that has a straight pipe running through it.
Has the looks of a catalytic converter, but its technically not.
This.

You could always fab up some heat shields or run gutted ones.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
fordplay

Svt performance actually did a test on the 2011 gt and 19 horse is gained on the dyno by killing the cats.. I'm sorry the the best bang for the buck there is. Wait I just looked that's 19 with an X pipe the H pipe is 3 less.. still a bargain ... all I need is a take off set of gt500 mufflers.. someone can have my flow master axle back as trade!! Ha ha
Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Smurf50

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
All information above is correct. I'm a state inspector and we are suppose to check for cats during our inspection. Given there are plently of shops that do not do their job and check for them. As long as no check engine light is on I'd sy your nearly 80% in the will pass and maybe 20% that an actual inspector would check and fail you.
From many years of car modding and inspection experience, this is correct. There are also certain times that you can go in where they are less apt to check under the car than others (specifically when the managers aren't standing over them because they are busy).

This is why I am considering getting the high-flow catted X-pipe for my car when I do headers. There shouldn't be THAT much of a loss compared to catless, and no inspection worries.
Smurf50 is offline   Reply With Quote