Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
DirtyD

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
Then what about the hi-flo catted shorty h pipes?
Not sure what you are asking...but if you are talking about replacing the factory manifolds with shorties and high flow cats, I've heard people say that shorties compared to the factory manifolds aren't worth the price.

I don't think cams are worth it
Comp cams aren't worth it, but the mini CJ exhaust cams for these cars are definitely worth it.

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
My car makes 416rwhp/412tq with nothing more than a Lethal hpipe and a tune. It's not complicated.
You of all people know that comparing one car's dyno numbers to another's don't mean anything.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
DirtyD

I agree. Unless an owner is trying to squeeze every bit of horsepower out of a car, they definetly aren't worth it. Clearly he isn't trying to do that if he's wanting to keep the car completely legit with the cats. It sounds like he's just wanting a fun street car that is "set it and forget it".

That $2000 bucks for the cams would be better spend towards a blower kit.
Mini CJ exhaust cams can be had for under $400....
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
You of all people know that comparing one car's dyno numbers to another's don't mean anything.
My point was that his goal of 400rw NA is very easily achievable withminimal mods.

Mini CJ exhaust cams can be had for under $400....
There is more than just the cams that need to be purchased for that installation, but there is also the cost of installation itself which is very costly. Even still, it's minimal gains for a lot of money.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #19
DirtyD

My point was that his goal of 400rw NA is very easily achievable withminimal mods.
Yes, it can be. But by not deleting the cats, he is making himself find a more difficult route to obtain that.

There is more than just the cams that need to be purchased for that installation, but there is also the cost of installation itself which is very costly. Even still, it's minimal gains for a lot of money.
Yes, but even then, Frank bought everything he needed for the cam swap from Nic for $350. Cams and springs. Grant it he did the install himself, being a mech, I would imagine if you had a decent amount of mechanical knowledge, and offered to help while learning, someone would cut you a deal, or getting a buddy to help. It's still a setup that could be completed and installed for less than half what the Comp Stage 3 costs alone, for roughly the same gains.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
GTOphil

Originally Posted by dominic toretto View Post
how much power does the car make now?

-alex
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #21
GTOphil

I know everybody is going to say get rid of the cats...but I'm just not willing to do that right now.

When I have the money for a s/c then I'll revisit that, but it'll have to be high-flows for now.

I talked to Jason and got a price for LT with hf cats. Seems like that an cai is my best option to not spend a ton of money, but add some more power and sound for my street/family car since it'll be a while until I can actually add SIGNIFICANT power.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #22
DirtyD

Getting a full 3" mid pipe, whether it be an X or H, might free up a bit of flow that the baffled and restricted stock mid-pipe takes away. Adding a CAI and a decent set of mufflers with a good flow through design might get you close to 400whp.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #23
BERT
I love tube socks

Not sure what you are asking...but if you are talking about replacing the factory manifolds with shorties and high flow cats, I've heard people say that shorties compared to the factory manifolds aren't worth the price.

Comp cams aren't worth it, but the mini CJ exhaust cams for these cars are definitely worth it.

I can't agree with you. I'll just leave it at that
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #24
DirtyD

I can't agree with you. I'll just leave it at that
I'm just stating what I've heard echoed from people, that the Coyote doesn't really see much gain replacing the factory manifolds with shorty or equal length headers. Most people have gone LTs. I don't even think I've heard a single person running shorties on our motors.

Not saying all shorties don't do anything, just these motors.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #25
BERT
I love tube socks

I'm just stating what I've heard echoed from people, that the Coyote doesn't really see much gain replacing the factory manifolds with shorty or equal length headers. Most people have gone LTs. I don't even think I've heard a single person running shorties on our motors.

Not saying all shorties don't do anything, just these motors.

I kinda agree with you on that lol I'm talking about the cams.

and I was talking about LT's with a SHORTY hpipe with cats. Not shorty headers. Putting shorty after market headers on these things would be dumb
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #26
Bacadiesel

Why do you want to keep cats tho? Mine passed inspection legally with longtubes, boss manifold, exhaust cams , off road x and tune making around 465whp.
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #27
GTOphil

Originally Posted by Bacadiesel View Post
Why do you want to keep cats tho? Mine passed inspection legally with longtubes, boss manifold, exhaust cams , off road x and tune making around 465whp.
Legality and hassle. I really don't want to keep having this fight. It's my car.

Places around here do visual inspection, you can get a ticket for it (I don't care if y'all say you never have) and I'm not the kind of person who's going to slip somebody money just to make something pass if it doesn't.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #28
Bacadiesel

I didn't pay someone illegally to pass my car. I went to the nearest car inspection place and told them I need an inspection. It passed 20 min later. $39.75
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #29
Bacadiesel

Sorry not trying to be rude was just trying to help
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #30
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
Legality and hassle. I really don't want to keep having this fight. It's my car.

Places around here do visual inspection, you can get a ticket for it (I don't care if y'all say you never have) and I'm not the kind of person who's going to slip somebody money just to make something pass if it doesn't.
Im actually with you on this subject. I dont want the hassle either. The problem is that if you do it "legally" its going to be more expensive and that is something we both have to come to terms with. Lol
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote