Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by wbt View Post
...and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are happy that's really all that matters.

For me, I still can't sell the JLT intake I purchased and did the testing with. I suppose the results produced sort of shot the re-sell value to Hell.

I may be able to give it away to someone next weekend. We'll see.
A little confused my friend. I saw the graphs and watched both videos. I have the jlt oil sep. and have checked it here and there, it's been on my car maybe 3,000 miles now, I have 8,800 on the car now. Back to your graphs and comparisons. Based on what your signals were reading that'd effect only shifts? Or would it effect horsepower as well? Also, because of those testing are you running your stock cai?

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

When did this thread turn into a tech thread?
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
When did this thread turn into a tech thread?
I'm sorry.... Jeff are you are the call out wait list yet?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang View Post
A little confused my friend. I saw the graphs and watched both videos. I have the jlt oil sep. and have checked it here and there, it's been on my car maybe 3,000 miles now, I have 8,800 on the car now. Back to your graphs and comparisons. Based on what your signals were reading that'd effect only shifts? Or would it effect horsepower as well? Also, because of those testing are you running your stock cai?
i know brent had issues with the jlt cai on his auto as well. its not very good. personally i like the c&l but from what i've heard the stock box is just fine.
OG Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Oxford14Stang

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post
i know brent had issues with the jlt cai on his auto as well. its not very good. personally i like the c&l but from what i've heard the stock box is just fine.
Yeah, I've heard many people, time after time, mention the stock boxes performed very well. And "pointless" to replace it. I just figured an open air filter could squeeze more air in, may not be the coolest air but more air and based on that video I watched his gauges showed and he said the open air filters cool off quicker than the already great stock cai

Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
DirtyD

...and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are happy that's really all that matters.

For me, I still can't sell the JLT intake I purchased and did the testing with. I suppose the results produced sort of shot the re-sell value to Hell.

I may be able to give it away to someone next weekend. We'll see.
So is the intake you have one of the first production ones? Before any revisions and what not? If so, I'm sure that make be part of it. You'd think someone on Craigslist would be on it. Haha

I do like the stock box, especially the fact it's a closed element design to help negate any effect from under hood temps on the IATs. I just don't like the accordion style couples and tube they use on it because I would imagine the interference in airflow that would cause. Why not just make a straight flow through tube from the factory and be done?...

Last edited by DirtyD; 08-19-2013 at 01:40 AM.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
wbt

If you know how to fit the stock airbox to the CJ intake manifold I am all ears. As is, I am using a custom Airaid setup where I modified a 2010 GT Airaid intake tube to mate to the GT500 TB and Airaid airbox.

kdanner posted some of the technical finding from the testing: http://www.dfw50s.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=404

Keep an eye on those JLT fittings. Eventually they will break if they are not the metal pieces.

Yeah, I've heard many people, time after time, mention the stock boxes performed very well. And "pointless" to replace it. I just figured an open air filter could squeeze more air in, may not be the coolest air but more air and based on that video I watched his gauges showed and he said the open air filters cool off quicker than the already great stock cai
We did back to back testing at the track between the stock airbox and the JLT. Both using the same tune minus the changes for the MAF transfer function. There was a .06 difference between the two. That falls within the margin of error. In a nutshell, buy an aftermarket CAI for looks/sound.

The video about IAT's prove nothing. What he doesn't discuss is that when using the stock intake, the IAT's sitting still in traffic will not increase nearly as fast vs. using an aftermarket CAI. We all live in Texas and know how hot it gets here. A DD car will fare much better with the stock intake.

Regarding dyno numbers, dyno'ing with the hood open will show an open air filter producing gains over stock but that is a false positive. The minute the hood closes those gains disappear. We drive our cars with the hood closed, not open.

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
So is the intake you have one of the first production ones? Before any revisions and what not? If so, I'm sure that make be part of it. You'd think someone on Craigslist would be on it. Haha

I do like the stock box, especially the fact it's a closed element design to help negate any effect from under hood temps on the IATs. I just don't like the accordion style couples and tube they use on it because I would imagine the interference in airflow that would cause. Why not just make a straight flow through tube from the factory and be done?...
It is one without the filter stop. The unit I have we tested with is what led the brand "j" owner to put a filter stop on his product.

Last edited by wbt; 08-19-2013 at 02:08 AM.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Oxford14Stang

Okay with that said let me ask you. You're running an open air filter, why is that? I'm running the Steeda. I'm just trying to figure out if the stock box performs better as far as hp gains and ET? if the stock box stays cooler I'd imagine we'd all see improved ETs If that's the case I don't see an open air filter dynoing out higher numbers after three pulls over the stock box??

Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
DirtyD

If you know how to fit the stock airbox to the CJ intake manifold I am all ears. As is, I am using a custom Airaid setup where I modified a 2012 GT Airaid intake tube to mate to the GT500 TB and Airaid airbox.

kdanner posted some of the technical finding from the testing: http://www.dfw50s.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=404

Keep an eye on those JLT fittings. Eventually they will break if they are not the metal pieces.

We did back to back testing at the track between the stock airbox and the JLT. Both using the same tune minus the changes for the MAF transfer function. There was a .06 difference between the two. That falls within the margin of error. In a nutshell, buy an aftermarket CAI for looks/sound.

The video about IAT's prove nothing. What he doesn't discuss is that when using the stock intake, the IAT's sitting still in traffic will not increase nearly as fast vs. using an aftermarket CAI. We all live in Texas and know how hot it gets here. A DD car will fare much better with the stock intake.

Regarding dyno numbers, dyno'ing with the hood open will show an open air filter producing gains over stock but that is a false positive. The minute the hood closes those gains disappear. We drive our cars with the hood closed, not open.

It is one without the filter stop. The unit I have we tested with is what led the brand "j" owner to put a filter stop on his product.
See, that's what always makes it so hard to swallow about CAIs. Could they be effective? Yes, but not everyone wants to tune their vehicle to support them. I'm sure that a CAI would become beneficial with a matching diameter throttle body, but then you don't know how much the CAI is really doing.

I love the change in exhaust note that mine gave me, and it's a little extra insurance towards my goal of getting a legit 400 rwhp out of my car.

Thanks for the insight, wbt.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

Whoa...mind blown.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Junkie

Talk a bunch of shit, don't back it up, get called out....seems pretty simple to me. Happens to the best of us.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
blownaltered
I have a small penis

We need a fast fox body list that way I can be on a list. I hardly ever race so I sound like all the other lists.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
KungFuHamster

I think Saturday should serve as a baseline for the list(s). Then when (if) anyone races someone on said list on the street, then it's whoever finishes first. Naturally if they agree to run at the track, I would suggest an actual grudge race where all we see is a win light, because that's all that matters anyways.

I say the Nitrous guys should make the choice to either run with or without the squeeze and choose a list. Or if yall prefer they can dual hat and get on both since they have that option.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
Courtesy Flush

So did anyone move rank Saturday evening?
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote