Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
DirtyD

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts View Post
Stock plugs? Did you gap down?
Originally Posted by JDBishopArts View Post
And I don't know much about the correct timing for NA 5.0s but isn't 25 a bit high? I thought most were around 20-22 and the race tunes were 23-24. I'd either get another tune or back the timing off till it stops knocking. Some cars act different than others.
I've spoke with other people, and 25-27 is used a lot in tunes that are "track tunes" for people, but that is very aggressive. I originally had 22-23° of timing before I asked Kevin @ JPC to bump it up a little bit. He said it may hit the knock sensors, and it appears he was right. I'm getting back in touch with him shortly.

Originally Posted by wbt View Post
I have used Shell fuel for years without issue.

Fuel from the local Exxon comes from the same refinery as the local Shell station. The differences are the additives used.

One thing to be on the lookout for is general age of said gas station. I don't buy gas from an older facility. Jobbers can mess up and put the wrong fuel in the wrong holding tanks as well. It happens more often than one might think.

Find a station of your choosing and monitor logs periodically to see how the car is doing.

DirtyD's problem isn't fuel. He has too much timing in his tune for the fuel he is using. My recommendations via PM were to reduce timing and richen it up a hair.
Thanks again for looking them over, wbt.

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Shell is fine, QT is fine. Stay away from RaceTrac gas.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
RaceTrac is just nasty period. Their drinks from the soda fountain aren't even good. I would never buy gas from them.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote