Thread: svt focus
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #33
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yeah. BMW's are another car in my opinion you don't want to buy out of warranty and/or high mileage. They have sensors for sensors (no joke, typical german engineering) and they tend to go for $200-500 bucks a piece. It's a crap shoot with BMW, if you can find one that has service records with a solid history, low mileage then you can drive it for awhile, but don't plan on keeping it past 90k-100k miles. Toanswer your question simply - stay away from BMW's in the 2k-4k range unless you are okay with regular repairs and idiot lights going off all the time.

In my expierence, you can't go wrong with Toyotas for basic transportation, especially the trucks. They routinely will go 300k+ miles plus if they have been cared for properly.

Acura's are good cars, the TL's always sell quickly because they are nice cars, good power and resell well. But theft can be an issue.

Sport compacts are going to be tricky because they are cheap enough for the kids to own and beat on and the theft rate is really high on them. This is especially true on anything Honda related.
I'm just not a fan of Japanese cars.

We just got rid of a 2008 G35S that was constantly having problems! We would have replaced it with a Yukon Denali, but the bank wouldnt give us $70k for a truck. instead, we ended up with a new Expedition LTD.

I have always been a fan of the early 2000's 3 and 5 series BMW's. Any used cash car will have parts needing to be replaced. I think you hit the nail on the head, when you said to find one with all of its service records and possibly a 1 owner. I believe if one could be had for a cheap enough price, it may not be a bad daily.

I drive a couple hundred miles a day, so Nic I feel ya! I'm in the same boat, as you wanting something else to throw miles on!