View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
STROKD
Old School

Default My first car, 22 years later

Mom bought this new as a DD for work when I was 12. Learned to drive in parking lots at 14 in it, and was given the keys at 16. Dad wanted to mod it some as a father-son project. We started with heads/cam/exhaust, RRs, intake manifold etc etc... it ran decent but was sorta sluggish with the AOD and 3.27s. Dad ordered a transmission and stall for it and it was a lot more fun... would go sideways on the 1-2 shift. Sent it to John Griggs and had them "fix" the suspension and brakes... swapped for a Tremec a year or two later when we got tired of repairind the AODs (kept melting gears). then ended up with a S trim, blew the hg's off the stock 302, fixed that, swapped cams, then a lifter blew up, lost a cylinder and hydralocked... called up Keith Craft, specced an Aluminum Dart 351 short stroke 4.145x3.25, changed heads, cam, and intake, swapped for a YSi, FAST XFi, fuel system etc, had car painted while the motor was being built, and then it sat pretty much undriven... for 9 years.... These pictures are after washing it for the first time since it was painted in May 2003.

Anyway, thought I would share. Car is part of the family and I am proud of it even if it is just a Mustang Convertible. Should get it on the dyno in a week or two, made 599/580rw at 12 psi with blown cat converters back in 03-4ish sometime, had converters cut out before it pretty much sat in storage for 5 years straight. Just glad it seems to run with no problems. Hoping to max the A1K out on it around 680-720 rw. Weldon 2345 and Magnum 6 speed are next on the plans if my dad doesn't decide to sell it back to me, which it will end up with left overs out of my 86 when I upgrade it. Should hopefully crack 900 (hopefully 1KRW) in the next year or two if all goes well.