View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
txminime

Default Re: Think I want to do a small drop

Originally Posted by IHateThisSite View Post
I want it to ride like stock if I can ... Just want a slight drop .. Looking to spend a few hundred not a few thousand... Simple small drop ... I know you all go balls out with everything but this is my only car and I have other bill to pay so not everything I make gets dumped into the car...

I thank you for the input but just telling me to buy $3,000 suspensions for my slow DD is not much if a help ...
For a DD, it is certainly "ok" to just change the springs and keep the stock struts/shocks to keep cost down. The downside is that depending on spring rate, the OEM shocks/struts may not be able to damp the springs as well, and they might wears out faster.

OTOH, it sounds like you are planning on paying a shop to do the install. If that's the case, not changing the struts when you are changing springs means that you are going to pay the shop *again* when it is time to change struts and shocks. I think Koni ST.r are on sale now, so you might wants to consider buying the shocks/struts now, wait a bit before buying the springs, and pay the shop just one time to get everything installed. I think it will ends up saving you some money.

FWIW, it is not always necessary to use an adjustable panhard bar. 1" isn't a big drop and there are enough tolerances from one car to another that you may not have problem with the axle not centered after the drop. If budget is an issue, skip the panhard bar for now and decide if it is necessary after the springs are installed.

Francis
txminime is offline   Reply With Quote