View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #309
Fair

continued from above

Holley Welcome Dinner

We finally arrived at the final checkpoint around 6 pm and the brakes were howling on our Mustang. So much stop and go traffic on XP20 Carbotech track worthy brake pads and the noise and dust that ensues. One thing we noticed immediately after starting this road rally was that the front rotors were WARPED. These had been on the car since just after Nationals at Miller, lots and lots and lots of race weekends, and they were worn thin. It takes a lot to warp Centric Premium 14" front rotors, but the surfaces were covered in micro-cracks - an indicator that they were too thin. I called ahead (via the Sync systems in-car bluetooth!) to our shop and had Kyle snag a pair of fresh Centric front rotors that we keep in stock, for a Saturday morning swap.

Jimi Day handing competitors their final card at the Marriott hotel checkpoint, right before dinner was served

Our warped front rotors paled in comparison to one competitor (who shall remain nameless) who lost an alternator on the road rally and had to stop and get 4 car batteries, which he swapped out when each one would die. Towards the end of the 91 miles of heavy traffic driving he noticed high coolant temps. They had to change a head gasket that night, and coupled with a complicated alternator swap they finished work on the car at 5:30 am Saturday morning! Long night, but he made it to all 5 checkpoints and raced Saturday and Sunday and drove it home, too.

The USCA folks had us all park for pictures and video at the Marriott race hotel, where the Holley Welcome Dinner was held. My final playing card given to us at this stop made for a terrible poker hand, but Marc ended up with FIVE EIGHTS! He was showing everyone his cards, and they explained that ten decks were used at the 5 stops, so the five of a kind was possible, however unlikely. He figured he had the poker run cinched up, until Danny Popp whipped out five KINGS! What are the odds, that out of 38 hands there would be two people with 5 of a kind??? It seems that this winning hand was the end of Danny's good luck for the weekend. They both got to pick from the door prizes that USCA had paid out, and all of us got a new Optima battery tender in our goodie bag after completing this event, as well as a USCA TMS event T-shirt that was pretty nice.

Left: Marc with his "five eights" hand. Right: Chad announcing the door prizes and talking about the events on Saturday

Dinner was burgers and sides in one of the Marriott ball rooms, and we had fun telling stories of our road rally driving, karting, poker hands and bench raced a bit for the next day. We got back to TMS to park in the garages that night by about 8 pm, tired and ready for some shut eye. Since we live only about 50 miles from the track we just drove home. I left the truck, trailer and Mustang in the garage area - Amy had followed me out to the track Friday in her long wheelbase BMW 740iL, which we call the Couch, and Marc Sherrin and his dad Carl rode back to the far side of Dallas with us.

Tune in next time for my Saturday USCA event coverage - the Autocross and Speed Stop competitions!