View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #49
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
Most modern tires recommend 35-45psi for fuel economy and there is NO WAY you're going to be able to hook up on a rock hard 40-series tire with ~400hp and a stick. There is a difference between "take some air out" and "take it down to the air pressure you run in a slick." Most of these guys would get a better launch at ~25psi than they will at 40.

*edit, treed by junkie
The idea is to remove the air pressure enough to make as much of the tire as possible contact the pavement. The compound of the tire with how soft/hard it is will create the traction with heat from the burnout. I'm with you there on all of that.

A tire like an Invo that is a real performance tire being a softer compound will benefit from a good burnout. Also, being an aftermarket tire is most likely a larger tire as well. I can definitely see what you are saying applying to that.

I just don't see it applying as well to someone on a stock 235 Pirelli that is a harder compound designed for all seasons and the side wall is not meant to give at all.

I also agree with you that some people let out way too much air on a street radial thinking they are getting the same effect as they would on a slick. The same could be said for a overly inflated tire.

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
I agree a quick spin of the tires is good to knock the rocks off or any accidental moisture the tires may have picked up going around the waterbox. I usually just do a quick spin.

While my times are embarrassing, I can't believe how consistent I/my car was...especially running on street tires with a stickshift. .005 difference between my two passes? that's insane.

113 mph...I should be in the low 12s/high 11's. Oh well. I'll leave the ET on the track and save my tranny. Though I have my answer to my other thread. Screw a blower, I am going to start looking at a magnum swap. What good is 200 extra hp if I run 12's at 125 +mph? That's just foolish.

One thing is for sure. The AUTO is the way to go fast in these cars.
The auto are definitely much easier to make faster. I agree they are way to go if someone is planning on tracking the car often. But my car is mainly a street car and I still prefer to row gears on the street. Gives more of the drivers experience feeling connected to the car.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote