View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
DirtyD

Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Yeah, the industry is definitely crazy. But it's been that way since the beginning. Lockheed is so incredibly competitive that I don't really even attempt to look at them anymore (I was definitely not a top of the class type student). Obviously, it would be totally awesome to work for Lockheed, but they tend to lean towards people that graduated with crazy GPAs and tons of internship experience. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those students.
Honestly, the way I see it, I would rather hire and engineer that still has some to learn but already has people skills and is a book worm when it comes to design. I know a lot of the higher GPA CEs I went to school with that will most likely end up doing strictly research either academically or in the field. To me, someone that is more practical, even if less to offer on the smarts said, is more useful because they can actually think broadly, instead of "this is what I learned in school, so it's the only truth" type mentality. Those types of engineers tend to look to far into the theory, and not in a broad enough perspective.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote