Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   MGW Shifter (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3671)

TwoQuack 02-13-2014 05:27 PM

MGW Shifter

Who's got an MGW Shifter?
How was the install?
Is the performance good?
Any praises, comments or complaints?

Thank you,

James TwoQuack

Grandpa 02-13-2014 05:33 PM

I have one. The install was super easy because I had Toby at TrueStreet do it. lol

The shifts are no longer vague or sloppy like they were with the stock shifter. I actually didn't find the stock shifter all that bad until trying to race it at the track then it was a different story.

Excellent quality. No heat and doesn't vibrate at all. Solid shifter I would definitely buy again. I'm down the road from you if you'd like to check it out some time.

TwoQuack 02-13-2014 05:41 PM

Thx SlowGreyGT, I would like to look it over. I'll have one arrive next week and then will install it sometime later.

PM me and we'll see about meeting up.

Boss949 02-13-2014 06:55 PM

I have the MGW.
Slow Grey is correct. Stock shifter is great around town. When you put car under heavy load, then it's a crap shoot.

MGW is one of the best mods you can do for the car. The 2-3 shift is perfect. Under drag racing conditions, I still had a problem with 1-2 under heavy load (5500 +). Found out that this is due to the remote mounted shifter on the MT-82. It's a 1-2 lockout (3-4 for road racers).

To eliminate the 1-2 lockouts, I had the CHE K Member Brace with v8 engine torque limiters installed.

Loren Keller at Open Track Connection does all my installs.

Be sure to get install video from MGW. George is awesome to deal with.

TwoQuack 02-13-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss949 (Post 64551)
I have the MGW.
Slow Grey is correct. Stock shifter is great around town. When you put car under heavy load, then it's a crap shoot.

MGW is one of the best mods you can do for the car. The 2-3 shift is perfect. Under drag racing conditions, I still had a problem with 1-2 under heavy load (5500 +). Found out that this is due to the remote mounted shifter on the MT-82. It's a 1-2 lockout (3-4 for road racers).

To eliminate the 1-2 lockouts, I had the CHE K Member Brace with v8 engine torque limiters installed.

Thx very much Boss949.
I had some shift issues around town in spirited driving. And then some bad experiences at a driving event trying to downshift from 4-3 or 3-2. It was then I decided a solution was needed.

DirtyD 02-14-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

I have the MGW.

MGW + Whiteline bushing insert = greatness.

JDMLOL 02-14-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

...still had a problem with 1-2 under heavy load (5500 +). Found out that this is due to the remote mounted shifter on the MT-82. It's a 1-2 lockout (3-4 for road racers).

Is this why I get grinds into second some light to moderate grinds every once in a blue moon?

Boss949 02-14-2014 02:53 PM

Could be. Under heavy load?

Also the reverse lockout pin might have to adjusted?

JDMLOL 02-14-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss949 (Post 64611)
Could be. Under heavy load?

Also the reverse lockout pin might have to adjusted?

I've adjusted the reverse lockout pin. Yes, load is moderate to heavy.

Boss949 02-14-2014 02:58 PM

That's what would happen under load. A crap shoot. It would go into 2nd like butter, then it's crunch time!!!

Grandpa 02-14-2014 03:12 PM

You could try switching transmission fluids and the Whiteside bushing. That might help too.

TwoQuack 02-15-2014 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the input y'all. Anyone near East Plano/Murphy/Wylie have a pair of ramps I can borrow to install the MGW Shifter? Won't need it until weekend of 22nd.

JDMLOL 02-15-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoQuack (Post 64642)
Thanks for all the input y'all. Anyone near East Plano/Murphy/Wylie have a pair of ramps I can borrow to install the MGW Shifter? Won't need it until weekend of 22nd.

Btw. I do like mine so don't think my problems are shifter-related. The shifter, fluid, and bushing are the only mods that come close to polishing that turd of a transmission they put in these cars. The mt-82 is junk.

NAVAG 02-15-2014 12:18 PM

I tried watching the install video yesterday. Bored me to tears. The shifter is on my list but any time soon. I like how MGW addresses the entire shifter mounts, bushings etc. instead of just the top piece that most aftermarket shifters offer. The price is reasonable. Install looks like a pain in the ass with a lot of rolling in and out from under the car.

Soulowd 02-16-2014 02:10 PM

I wonder if its about the same as a Barton? Kinda looking at both