Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Ford's intake manifolds (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3981)

mtaylor7210 04-10-2014 06:44 PM

Ford's intake manifolds

Interesting article comparing all of the ford manifolds for sale.
http://www.nmradigital.com/2013/12/1...e-5-0l-engine/

The boss and cobrajet definitely need bigger cams/ head work.

kdanner 04-10-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtaylor7210 (Post 69165)
Interesting article comparing all of the ford manifolds for sale.
http://www.nmradigital.com/2013/12/1...e-5-0l-engine/

The boss and cobrajet definitely need bigger cams/ head work.

Not much need for head work when NA CJs are running 9.70s with unported GT heads in Stock Eliminator, and they aren't showing everything they have. Cams yes, in fact I'm pretty much of the opinion now that if the cams can be controlled via VCT still, they aren't big enough.

Dominic Toretto 04-10-2014 11:05 PM

From what I have read, the results of this test were pretty standard issue. Thanks for sharing the article.

-Alex

fordplay 04-11-2014 07:18 AM

So boss gains hp but loses tq and you need to spin to 7,500 to use it. The CJ intake makes more hp then both and matches the base tq numbers.. I see zero reason for the boss intake any more right?

Dominic Toretto 04-11-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordplay (Post 69192)
So boss gains hp but loses tq and you need to spin to 7,500 to use it. The CJ intake makes more hp then both and matches the base tq numbers.. I see zero reason for the boss intake any more right?

Werd. Old news really. Seen these tests done independently from guys over on another forum:happy107:.

-Alex

rlhay2 04-11-2014 08:45 AM

It would be interesting to see what stock cams, the Cobra Jet manifold and a turbo would do.

TrueStreetTim 04-11-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

The CJ increase has a lot to do with the TB and not solely the intake itself. If you have the BOSS ported you stand a good chance of regaining some of the lost tq and come out cheaper than a CJ and TB. Also; the production CJ intake has been worked and differs from the one you will get off the shelf.

03MachMe 04-11-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

The boss intake was not designed for drag racing. It's for road racing where you spend a lot longer period of time in the upper RPMs and the raised redline can help prevent needless shifts. In road racing peak tq numbers are not the biggest concern so they don't bother with worrying about it. If you want to drag race the road race designed boss IM is not the best option no lol

TrueStreetTim 04-11-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 69225)
The boss intake was not designed for drag racing. It's for road racing where you spend a lot longer period of time in the upper RPMs and the raised redline can help prevent needless shifts. In road racing peak tq numbers are not the biggest concern so they don't bother with worrying about it. If you want to drag race the road race designed boss IM is not the best option no lol

:word:

DirtyD 04-11-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MachMe (Post 69225)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim (Post 69227)

Dominic Toretto 04-11-2014 02:35 PM

The CJIM should still be an improvement over the Boss in road racing since it still increases power and torque across the rpm band. So it's still better than the Boss regardless.

-Alex

TrueStreetTim 04-11-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 69229)
The CJIM should still be an improvement over the Boss in road racing since it still increases power and torque across the rpm band. So it's still better than the Boss regardless.

-Alex

Antothoro 04-11-2014 09:57 PM

I appreciated the side-by-side comparison and technical review of the effects. I wish there was some different manifolds for the 4.0s.

BLK2012GT 04-12-2014 04:16 AM

No one has time for V-6's. Hell the aftermarket world is still learning about the coyote.

garner 04-12-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antothoro (Post 69278)
I appreciated the side-by-side comparison and technical review of the effects. I wish there was some different manifolds for the 4.0s.

There's a few out there but most are $$$