Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Supercharging the Boss (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3339)

Boss949 12-22-2013 08:24 PM

Supercharging the Boss

I've really been considering adding F/I.

Considering my driving style and the type of racing (1/8 1/4) I'm leaning towards the Whipple/Roush/VMP . Not a DD and I know some think I should have bought a Shelby, but I didn't want one; wanted the Boss 302.

I know there's some really fast GT's here. Any Boss owners who have done this also. I believe the Roadrunner 5.0 has a lot of potential that can be unleashed with the right blower.

Thanks

Grandpa 12-22-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss949 (Post 59463)
I've really been considering adding F/I.

Considering my driving style and the type of racing (1/8 1/4) I'm leaning towards the Whipple/Roush/VMP . Not a DD and I know some think I should have bought a Shelby, but I didn't want one; wanted the Boss 302.

I know there's some really fast GT's here. Any Boss owners who have done this also. I believe the Roadrunner 5.0 has a lot of potential that can be unleashed with the right blower.

Thanks

Justin's personal Boss just made 837rw with his VMP blower. Now that is BOSS!

PLASMAN 12-22-2013 09:45 PM

Hit up Eric Wood on the FB page, he has a 13 LS Boss with a TVS and a small shot of NOS. I'm sure he would be glad to show you his car and take you for a ride, that car is no joke lol

rlhay2 12-22-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 59465)
Justin's personal Boss just made 837rw with his VMP blower. Now that is BOSS!

VMP's numbers are rather optimistic and not at all the norm for those mods.
They make good parts but their numbers are always taken "under ideal conditions".

PLASMAN 12-22-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlhay2 (Post 59472)
They make good parts but their numbers are always taken "under ideal conditions".

Welcome Ronnie....

VNMOUS1 12-23-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlhay2 (Post 59472)

This was done to show the full potential of the kit on a Boss. Shell URT and more timing than you'd run in a DD. Average for a VMP TVS supercharged Coyote is 600-650 rwhp on a" driver " tune.

Hi Ronnie.

rlhay2 12-24-2013 07:49 AM

Hey Guys!:wave:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VNMOUS1 (Post 59553)
This was done to show the full potential of the kit on a Boss. Shell URT and more timing than you'd run in a DD. Average for a VMP TVS supercharged Coyote is 600-650 rwhp on a" driver " tune.

And this is exactly why I suggest contacting BJ for street based mod motor modifications. Straight, concise info with no BS!

BLK2012GT 12-24-2013 07:59 AM

Jshoot has a boss with a D1 procharger on it. Ran 10.5's I believe. He's doing some other stuff to it and should be good for low 10's.

J.Shoot 12-30-2013 09:17 AM

Boss w/ D1

I have a D1 on my Boss and have really enjoyed it. My quickest 1/4 is 10.5 @ 131 mph, I ran a 10.53 and 10.57 the same night. I drive the car on the street so I like the way the D1 performs on the street. I like the standard transmission also. I know an auto would be alot faster at the track, just not sure if I would want to do that or not. I feel quite sure I will be faced with that decision this year. We (TS) rebuilt the bottom end and are doing a few minor details to the car now. Ready to get it rolling and back in my garage.
Good luck on your project.

J.Shoot

Boss949 12-30-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Shoot (Post 59790)
I have a D1 on my Boss and have really enjoyed it. My quickest 1/4 is 10.5 @ 131 mph, I ran a 10.53 and 10.57 the same night. I drive the car on the street so I like the way the D1 performs on the street. I like the standard transmission also. I know an auto would be alot faster at the track, just not sure if I would want to do that or not. I feel quite sure I will be faced with that decision this year. We (TS) rebuilt the bottom end and are doing a few minor details to the car now. Ready to get it rolling and back in my garage.
Good luck on your project.

J.Shoot

Thanks for your input. I've seen your car on another Forum and have been wanting to ask you about it. 10.5's are great numbers for sure. I've really been enjoying the research on the blowers. Right now I'm leaning to Roush (Shaun @AED really likes the PD better and I really like his tunes). But I'm also intrigued with the Centri's. I know how my car is off the line and the power band of the centri's is appealing. Anyway, I guess it's not unusual to to get confused over this stuff!!

J.Shoot 12-31-2013 08:41 AM

Research....

I did alot of research before we decided to go with the Procharger. I called shops, looked at forums, read articles. All of the systems have advantages and disadvantages. I guess the biggest reason we went with the centri was for ability to drive on the street. I think you can make all of them fast, it just takes the right combination. I have a race coming up in the near future with a guy running a PD blower. (he's a little more hp and torque than I am). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Holler at me if you want any info about what I have done to our Boss..

I talked to Shaun also before we did any work to our Boss. He doesn't like the centri's at all. lol.......

Good luck.
J.Shoot

2011gt/cs 12-31-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Shoot (Post 59872)
I did alot of research before we decided to go with the Procharger. I called shops, looked at forums, read articles. All of the systems have advantages and disadvantages. I guess the biggest reason we went with the centri was for ability to drive on the street. I think you can make all of them fast, it just takes the right combination. I have a race coming up in the near future with a guy running a PD blower. (he's a little more hp and torque than I am). I'll let you know how it turns out.

I talked to Shaun also before we did any work to our Boss. He doesn't like the centri's at all. lol.......

Good luck.
J.Shoot

Just curious, why did you choose the procharger over the paxton/vortech?

Boss949 12-31-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Shoot (Post 59872)

Good luck.
J.Shoot

So, did Shaun relent and tune it?
:snoopfacepalm:

It doesn't take long to get to 3-4K . When/Where, do feel the boost kick in?

thanks.

J.Shoot 01-02-2014 08:54 AM

ProCharger

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011gt/cs (Post 59884)
Just curious, why did you choose the procharger over the paxton/vortech?

I like the idea of the unit located to the side and running on its own belt. Also the installation required less modification for the ProCharger vs. the others, (just my understanding.)

J.Shoot

J.Shoot 01-02-2014 08:57 AM

ProCharger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss949 (Post 59885)
So, did Shaun relent and tune it?
:snoopfacepalm:

It doesn't take long to get to 3-4K . When/Where, do feel the boost kick in?

thanks.

No Shaun didn't tune it. True Street does "all" of my work. I've been really happy with everything they've done.
You really feel the car come to life around 3500.

J.Shoot