Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Events (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Texas Motor Speedway Drag Nights (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1026)

NoSlowGT 01-23-2013 11:28 PM

Texas Motor Speedway Drag Nights

Hey guys, didn't know if anybody here went to the Drag Nights at TMS this past summer? I went a few times and it was a blast. Obviously they aren't running right now cause of the weather, but I'm sure they will start back up in May.

There were a few black 5.0's draggin some SS's all summer so I didn't know if anybody on here was one of the guys puttin a hurting on the bowtie boys?

BLK2012GT 01-23-2013 11:44 PM

Oh I will be for sure this year.

Grandpa 01-23-2013 11:45 PM

We have to make a group function with something like this. Would be a good time.

BLK2012GT 01-23-2013 11:47 PM

X2.

Bearded Banger 01-23-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 16924)
We have to make a group function with something like this. Would be a good time.

I'm in!!!

NoSlowGT 01-23-2013 11:54 PM

Honestly, I think it's better than Sanger. Yes, its only a 1/8 mile and they don't record your time, but they run the cars back to back so you're not waiting 5 minutes between each race, and the guy that picks the races lines up the cars everybody wants to see; aka ZL1 vs GT500, 5.0 vs SS. Plus, if you're not racing you can watch and drink beer (coolers welcome).

Also, if you go early, you can pay $20 and drive around the actual track, which is pretty cool if you've never done it!

BLK2012GT 01-23-2013 11:57 PM

Hell yeah its like in that gay movie fast and furious. RACE WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fuckyea:

DirtyD 01-24-2013 12:04 AM

I went in 2011, when slow6 had a running car (before the motor blew and the turbo build started) and I plan on making it back out there this summer.

NoSlowGT 01-24-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 16933)
Hell yeah its like in that gay movie fast and furious. RACE WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fuckyea:

LMAO kinda similar, but no fools runnin Honda '2000s

03MachMe 01-24-2013 12:30 AM

I would try and make it if I can get a. Sat off lol

downtime! 01-24-2013 12:37 AM

Hell, I'd even make this one. It's even on my side of town.

Midnight11 01-24-2013 12:59 AM

I'm down!!

SS KLLR 01-24-2013 01:37 AM

My specialty. I'm down!!

merlinmol 01-24-2013 01:44 AM

Missed out on the last one, hopefully I can make it out to the next

BLK2012GT 01-24-2013 04:51 AM

Yeah I'm in.

unreal 01-24-2013 09:59 AM

Sounds great. Track here is normally run from 11-2 at night and if you are lucky you get 3 runs. Most of the time you get 1-2 runs.

Luke 01-24-2013 10:25 AM

For those of you that have been, is this worth it considering it costs more and Northstar is right down the road?

DirtyD 01-24-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 16972)
For those of you that have been, is this worth it considering it costs more and Northstar is right down the road?

There is a car show you can be a part of, you get to make a lap around the track between warmups and the actual races starting, and they also have a points series, so you can eventually win a trophy and I think a small goodie bag of sorts. I think so. Lots of people come out.

Courtesy Flush 01-24-2013 11:25 AM

Been several times for the past couple years.

Its armdrop style racing on an unprepped surface for $20.
Practice is from 6-8pm
Once the event starts at 8:30 everyone is grouped up according to modifications and vehicle style from tuner to outlaw.
If you jump you are disqualified.
If you lose a race you can buy back in for $10
If you lose the following race thereafter you cant race any longer.

Ive made it to the semi finals and ive lost the first race in the sportman division. Traction is a problem. Thinking you're gonna run a radial or a slick? Think again. The officials will bump you in a higher division for just tire. My experience is most of the GM guys are not truthful about their mods in order to gain the upper hand.

Ive gotten lots of video and pics from the past few years, but to avail at the moment.
60% of the cars on this site with be grouped in the sportman division and heres the typical competition for those interested. A few of these vettes can 60' on street tires and do so consistently.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8306/7...33935d84_b.jpg

DirtyD 01-24-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 16974)
Been several times for the past couple years.

Its armdrop style racing on an unprepped surface for $20.
Practice is from 6-8pm
Once the event starts at 8:30 everyone is grouped up according to modifications and vehicle style from tuner to outlaw.
If you jump you are disqualified.
If you lose a race you can buy back in for $10
If you lose the following race thereafter you cant race any longer.

Ive made it to the semi finals and ive lost the first race in the sportman division. Traction is a problem. Thinking you're gonna run a radial or a slick? Think again. The officials will bump you in a higher division for just tire. My experience is most of the GM guys are not truthful about their mods in order to gain the upper hand.

Ive gotten lots of video and pics from the past few years, but to avail at the moment.
60% of the cars on this site with be grouped in the sportman division and heres the typical competition for those interested. A few of these vettes can 60' on street tires and do so consistently.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8306/7...33935d84_b.jpg

That's why you get as many practice runs as you can if you know you will eliminated quickly. LOL

Courtesy Flush 01-24-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 16978)
That's why you get as many practice runs as you can if you know you will eliminated quickly. LOL

Very True. I like the competition, but sometimes the cheaters out there ruin the fun for others.

For example. White SS camaro that won the Sportman last year.
As you know sportsman is pretty basic bolt on NA 8 cylinder class.
Ran him many times and he always had this edge on me in the higher rpms.
Said his car was tune, exhaust, intake.....
This dude was embarrassing same year camaros with the same mods.
Found a thread from earlier that year outlining an ADM Performance built motor that was put in that car.

DirtyD 01-24-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 16983)
Very True. I like the competition, but sometimes the cheaters out there ruin the fun for others.

For example. White SS camaro that won the Sportman last year.
As you know sportsman is pretty basic bolt on NA 8 cylinder class.
Ran him many times and he always had this edge on me in the higher rpms.
Said his car was tune, exhaust, intake.....
This dude was embarrassing same year camaros with the same mods.
Found a thread from earlier that year outlining an ADM Performance built motor that was put in that car.

That's crap. I know there isn't really a way to control that type of stuff, but I wish there was. I think the only way to do that would be to time bracket, but that would require them to start timing...

Courtesy Flush 01-24-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 16984)
That's crap. I know there isn't really a way to control that type of stuff, but I wish there was. I think the only way to do that would be to time bracket, but that would require them to start timing...

The tech inspection is pretty lousy, they just check to make sure you're not leaking fluids. They never pop the hood and just take your word for it so guys take advantage.
Ive met some good people out there and some shitbirds. Overall with a good group of people from a forum going, an event like this can be fun.

DirtyD 01-24-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 16985)
The tech inspection is pretty lousy, they just check to make sure you're not leaking fluids. They never pop the hood and just take your word for it so guys take advantage.
Ive met some good people out there and some shitbirds. Overall with a good group of people from a forum going, an event like this can be fun.

If we get a big number of DFW5.0 members to come out, it might turn out to be fun. Lots of people will be gunning for us though. Maybe we can somehow pass Jeff off as still stock after his motor gets finished...the cams aren't too lopey I heard. :D

Grandpa 01-24-2013 01:04 PM

We could also talk to the them about giving us our own grudge class to race eachother if we get enough members to go.

Courtesy Flush 01-24-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 16988)
We could also talk to the them about giving us our own grudge class to race eachother if we get enough members to go.

I was thinking an announcement of the forum followed by 3-5 laps around the track by forum members.

Grandpa 01-24-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 16989)
I was thinking an announcement of the forum followed by 3-5 laps around the track by forum members.

LOL..not sure if serious...

I figured we'd have a group go to Texas Laps For Charity, but that isn't until September.

DirtyD 01-24-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 16989)

Hey, I'm down. :Get him!:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 16990)

I figured we'd have a group go to Texas Laps For Charity, but that isn't until September.

LOL. David would be all over that. Why? Because race car! :win:

I'm sure slow6 will want to go back out there and want to rape from Camaros and 5.0s.

Courtesy Flush 01-24-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

lol i joke, but seriously ive seen North Texas Mustang Club do it at the events so why couldnt another group?

03MachMe 01-24-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Was wanting to do that. Did it 3 times in the mach but want to do it in the '13

Joey289 01-24-2013 02:47 PM

I have been wanting to do the laps for charity in my 65 now that I have a transmission in it that I can cruise faster than 65 mph for extended periods of time (4:30 gears lol).

brtnstrns 01-24-2013 02:58 PM

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for updates on this. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Especially now since I've got a decent car that will hopefully be running/driving properly in the next couple months.

Dark Pony 01-25-2013 12:00 AM

I'm down like four flat tires

Slow6 01-25-2013 11:22 AM

Ill be out there this year if the car is finished. My issue not last year but the year before was the dumbass class arrangement. I had a basicly stock car with a procharger and I was thrown into the top teir class with full drag cars. I made a show of it but had my ass handed to me by the big boys. Traction is the biggest problem out there. The practice time is when you do the grudge racing. I was running some fast cars and beating them in practice but never got the run them in a race. Ill need to cover up the blowoff noise somehow and then I can run in a lower class and do good, or Ill need slicks to stay in the outlaw class.

Courtesy Flush 01-25-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow6 (Post 17086)
Ill be out there this year if the car is finished. My issue not last year but the year before was the dumbass class arrangement. I had a basicly stock car with a procharger and I was thrown into the top teir class with full drag cars. I made a show of it but had my ass handed to me by the big boys. Traction is the biggest problem out there. The practice time is when you do the grudge racing. I was running some fast cars and beating them in practice but never got the run them in a race. Ill need to cover up the blowoff noise somehow and then I can run in a lower class and do good, or Ill need slicks to stay in the outlaw class.

Did you happen to do the show and shine thingy as well?

DirtyD 01-25-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow6 (Post 17086)

You don't want to race that black TurboS again!?!? :lol:

Slow6 01-25-2013 12:04 PM

Yeah I did do the show and shine each time. Kinda a waste of money but whatever. I got kicked off the track, when you get to drive around the oval, because another car and I stopped on the back stretch and raced to about 140 then hit turn three and four at 120+. I had a small drift out of the middle of turn four that I thought was pretty cool but the track guys didnt think was. I still got to drag race that night but they didnt let me stay on the front stretch during the show. lol

Slow6 01-25-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 17090)
You don't want to race that black TurboS again!?!? :lol:

That damn car was quick. I remember beating him once but thats was it. At the end of the track that guy had me by a few lengths. The skyline was fun to race but the CTS-V was actually not that fast for the power he was putting down.

Courtesy Flush 01-25-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow6 (Post 17091)
Yeah I did do the show and shine each time. Kinda a waste of money but whatever. I got kicked off the track, when you get to drive around the oval, because another car and I stopped on the back stretch and raced to about 140 then hit turn three and four at 120+. I had a small drift out of the middle of turn four that I thought was pretty cool but the track guys didnt think was. I still got to drag race that night but they didnt let me stay on the front stretch during the show. lol

Yeah, i remember your car. During the drive around i recall you downshifting and doing short WOT bursts and generally revving the piss out of your motor. Im sure the spin out was the icing on the cake.

Grandpa 01-25-2013 12:56 PM

The turbo Porsche's are seriously under appreciated how fast those cars can be on the street. They dead hook and have some serious top end with very little mods.