Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I need a daily driver..can't decide. (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=565)

Cabikejumper 10-21-2012 03:23 PM

I need a daily driver..can't decide.

The mustang is too much for a daily. Driving 74 miles one way is killing me. Mainly because it's too loose,loud, murders gas, and more.

Last week I made a deal on a 06 gto. I got approved and threw 4k down. They called yesterday saying the bank is charging them 2400 for some reason and now the dealer doesn't want to do the deal. So they are sending my money back and I'll be shopping again. I just can't decide

I really want a ls2 GTO just because they are very hard to find and I can get a mustang anytime down the road.

I've been considering a 3v or a Mach 1. But I have a new edge now and I don't like the 3v that much, body wise. Id rather have a 11 GT.

Since this is a 5.0 forum, how do you guys like the 5.0 as a daily. I plan on keeping it stock for awhile. So right now it's between a 5.0 and a GTO

BLK2012GT 10-21-2012 03:32 PM

Get a 5.0, I've heard guys avg 20 plus mpg on the hwy.

Midnight11 10-21-2012 03:39 PM

Just got 25 mpg going down to college station

Cabikejumper 10-21-2012 03:45 PM

How was the ride quality. Seats comfy?

5PointSlow 10-21-2012 04:09 PM

i drove my car with mods to Sc for MW in myrtle beach. avg 24.5mpg at 80. car is very comfortable.

Grandpa 10-21-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper (Post 8205)
How was the ride quality. Seats comfy?

The new 5.0's will make you sell your old car, doesn't even remotely compare to the older Stangs. lol.

Cabikejumper 10-21-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 8211)
The new 5.0's will make you sell your old car, doesn't even remotely compare to the older Stangs. lol.

Keeping the GT. I've got way too much money into it.

I love the gto seats. And I can't remember what the 5.0's felt like. I've test driven the premiums and one with recaro(sp) and the recaro was too rough.

I'll go test drive another 5.0 tomorrow and see how I like it.
Just want something newer and have everything work like it should. My heater smells like ass even after a coolant flush.

downtime! 10-21-2012 06:39 PM

I daily mine. Average 23-25 mpg combined. Took it to Ohio last year, and Maryland, for drag races, great car to eat up miles with.

Cabikejumper 10-21-2012 08:57 PM

You guys make it hard to decide. 50/50 right now.

I want gto because I rarely see them on the road and half are totaled already.

46Tbird 10-22-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper (Post 8217)
Just want something newer and have everything work like it should.

Then why would you even consider an eight-year-old GM product? The GTOs were notorious piles even when they were new.

The '11+ Mustangs are smooth and quiet. Mine is a daily driver and gets 19mpg combined and around 22 on road trips. Steve is right, you will feel foolish keeping a stinky old raggedy Mustang for a "fun" car when a new 5.0 drives like a Camry and runs mid 12s.

Grandpa 10-22-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper (Post 8217)
Keeping the GT. I've got way too much money into it.

If your ass is on fire, do you continue to fan the flames or put your ass in a bucket of water to put out the fire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper (Post 8228)
You guys make it hard to decide. 50/50 right now.

I want gto because I rarely see them on the road and half are totaled already.

The GTO is a huge pile of crap. There is a reason they weren't made very long and you don't see very many of them around.

The point of a daily driver is to be reliable and get decent mileage, the GTO will do neither of those things and will end up being another money pit.

As I see it, you have two sensible choices :

1) Keep the GT and continue putting money into it. It will continue to be an old car with old car problems. Therefor you will need a daily you won't have to put any money into to like a cheap lil import of some kind that will get good mileage.

2) Sell the GT and buy a new 5.0. It will be way more comfortable, reliable and get decent mileage for a daily.

DirtyD 10-22-2012 02:21 PM

I see 19-20 combined out of mine, and up around 24-25 doing 75 or so on the highway. I would go slower to get better mileage, but all the highway speed limits are 75 now. :shrug:

JaysonMFK 10-22-2012 02:43 PM

If I'm trying for economy I get around 18.8 in stop in go city conditions, and up to 25ish on the highway with the 3.73 gears.

Have no doubt though that if you're having fun with the gas in city driving you will be seeing 12-13mpg lol... Wish I had a 40mpg beater sometimes.

PLASMAN 10-22-2012 08:10 PM

I also DD my 13 and its tuned I get 19 city 25+hwy and its the comfiest ride out of every generation mustang built, I have had them all.
The GTO would be going backwards, try buying parts for one compared to a 11-13 GT the most bolt ons available of any vehicle at good prices

Cabikejumper 10-22-2012 09:55 PM

I went and test drove a 2013 Gt 6spd with leather interior.

Seat feel- GTO > GT
Shifter location- both make me feel like a t-Rex
Clutch pedal/ ease GT>GTO
Exhaust(stock): GTO > GT
Steering response: Gt> GTO

Not now I'm still leaning toward the GTO. I don't think I want to spend 40k on a car right now. But the 2011 and GTO is still a toss up. I've read bad stuff about each, few more issues with gtos.

As for my current gt, I am not selling because I've spent a lot of money on the new motor, supercharger, etc and will take too big of a Loss if I sell it. I am getting a dd because I want to keep building the gt and beat on it rather than beat on a dd