Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   SR Lowereing Springs & J&M Panhard Bar for 2011+ GT's (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2247)

DarkHorse1350 07-17-2013 09:54 AM

SR Lowereing Springs & J&M Panhard Bar for 2011+ GT's

Hey guys and gals, I wanted to share my opinion about my recently installed SR lowering springs and J&M PH bar. I won't bore you with the install play by play as there are SEVERAL great "how to" posts with great pics to help you. I want to focus on the quality and my impression of these products since I couldn't find much info using the search feature here specifically for this combo.

The SR Springs (in my opinion) are GREAT option for those folks that are on a budget but still want all the offerings that come from lowering your car. These springs have a progressive rate spring (please someone correct me if I am wrong on this) which means that as they compress they get stiffer, which I can confirm is the case. over all drop is advertised at 1.5 inches, I am not quite there yet but once they settle I expect to be VERY close to that.
These springs may not have the track performance of a set of Eibachs or H&R's but for a 99% street car they will work well and give you that sleek look you are looking for. They come with a blue powder coating so they look just like Ford Racing springs.

I went with the aluminum J&M adjustable bar strictly for the weight savings, the steel bar is the same price so why not save a few pounds right?? Install is pretty much a rip and replace (look up the how to if you are curious on the process). On car adjustment is a little complicated versus say a BMR bar simply because of the location of the jam nuts and the bracket for the bar. J&M uses threaded ends and BMR uses an adjustable section in the middle of the bar. Again for a street car I think this is a great affordable option to get the rear end centered after you lower your Stang. Bar comes coated in a nice silver color with poly bushings and zirks (zyrks?) fittings for future greasing.

Over all I have less than $300 invested in this set up and could not be happier with the results. So if your looking for an affordable lowering set up I recommend these parts and I will probably purchase more SR suspension parts over time based on this experience.

Hope this helps some of you looking to lower your car but don't want to have $500+ wrapped up in the project. If you have any questions please let me know.

Pics...

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/9149/lrra.th.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/4425/v0a7.th.jpg

gordelis 07-18-2013 11:06 PM

Great review. Do you have bigger pictures by any chance?

DarkHorse1350 07-19-2013 09:55 AM

Any better?

http://imageshack.com/a/img854/9149/lrra.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

gordelis 07-19-2013 09:57 AM

Much better. Lol Beautiful ride. Really like the color.

Oxford14Stang 07-29-2013 08:09 AM

Looks great, I was just wondering about the same pan hard bar. Weather to use steel or the aluminum or to even use J&M at all. Still no complaints? How often do you take it to the track? Or put a toll on the suspension?

DarkHorse1350 07-31-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford14Stang (Post 42357)
Looks great, I was just wondering about the same pan hard bar. Weather to use steel or the aluminum or to even use J&M at all. Still no complaints? How often do you take it to the track? Or put a toll on the suspension?

Haven't been to the track yet with the new setup, but I plan to soon.

Would I use this bar again? Yes and no, yes because it is a VERY well built piece...once you set it up correctly of course. No, because if you are looking to have easy adjustments I would recommend BMR or Stallion with the mid bar adjusters. I feel that the solid bar is a sturdier piece so I can live with the adjusters on the ends.

I have had to take this bar off 3 different times to readjust but none were the bars fault, just me being a noob when it comes to adjustable suspension parts. I finally decided to use lock-tite on the lock nuts and have not had any rattles since and the body over axle alignment has not moved. I will be adding a 90* zirks fitting to the drivers side bushing housing to make for easier greasing when the time comes but that is no big deal.

Short answer is yes, I am still happy and would do it all over again.

DirtyD 07-31-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHorse1350 (Post 42652)
Haven't been to the track yet with the new setup, but I plan to soon.

Would I use this bar again? Yes and no, yes because it is a VERY well built piece...once you set it up correctly of course. No, because if you are looking to have easy adjustments I would recommend BMR or Stallion with the mid bar adjusters. I feel that the solid bar is a sturdier piece so I can live with the adjusters on the ends.

I have had to take this bar off 3 different times to readjust but none were the bars fault, just me being a noob when it comes to adjustable suspension parts. I finally decided to use lock-tite on the lock nuts and have not had any rattles since and the body over axle alignment has not moved. I will be adding a 90* zirks fitting to the drivers side bushing housing to make for easier greasing when the time comes but that is no big deal.

Short answer is yes, I am still happy and would do it all over again.

I need to do the locktite on the nuts of my Freedom Racing bar. It's moved on me 3 times now, and I have to adjust it again...PITA....

DarkHorse1350 07-31-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 42654)
I need to do the locktite on the nuts of my Freedom Racing bar. It's moved on me 3 times now, and I have to adjust it again...PITA....

I used the red "heavy duty" version but I am sure any of them will work.

maxpayne 11-14-2013 04:36 PM

Reviving this thread.

OP - how are the SR Springs holding up?

Does anyone have an opinion on these springs? The drop is 1.5" front and back. They retail for $179.99. Here is the link.http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-0513gt.html

They seem like a good balance between cost and looks. I know the performance is definitely not the best; but, I have the opportunity to buy a brand new set that has never been used for super, super cheap (like $50). Also, my 5.0 is just a DD, and I don't require extreme performance at this juncture.

Thoughts?

gordelis 11-14-2013 06:58 PM

I have them in my car for about 3000 miles and I'm happy so far.

maxpayne 11-14-2013 07:11 PM

Okay sweet. I just really hope a 1.5 much drop all the way around doesn't make my 18 by 10 wheels and 285 tires rub the fender well as they are already pretty damn close.

Bacadiesel 11-14-2013 10:53 PM

I've had sr springs for also about 4-5000 miles. I think they are good springs. I did notice the ride got harder over bumps but I'm also on stock shocks

DarkHorse1350 11-25-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpayne (Post 56474)
Reviving this thread.

OP - how are the SR Springs holding up?

Does anyone have an opinion on these springs? The drop is 1.5" front and back. They retail for $179.99. Here is the link.http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-0513gt.html

They seem like a good balance between cost and looks. I know the performance is definitely not the best; but, I have the opportunity to buy a brand new set that has never been used for super, super cheap (like $50). Also, my 5.0 is just a DD, and I don't require extreme performance at this juncture.

Thoughts?

For a good DD car I don't think it gets much better than these spring. I will say that they will probably benefit greatly from a good set of shocks as the stockers are working harder than they should and will be replaced much sooner than if you were still rolling the factory springs.

DarkHorse1350 11-25-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacadiesel (Post 56524)
I've had sr springs for also about 4-5000 miles. I think they are good springs. I did notice the ride got harder over bumps but I'm also on stock shocks

I am having the same issues. I cant wait to update the shocks when the time (I mean money) allows.

Dominic Toretto 11-25-2013 04:23 PM

OP did your J&M panhard bar allow you to perfectly center your axle? I have the same item and my driver side is about 1/2inch out and the passenger side is about 1/2inch in. I plan to swap to a BMR part but for now, no one can tell.

-Alex