Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Mach 1 Transmission Whine (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=1112)

brtnstrns 02-07-2013 01:51 PM

Mach 1 Transmission Whine

I know at least a couple of you guys have had Mach 1's previously so I figured it was worth asking. The previous owner had the TR3650 rebuilt in this car with brass (I think - maybe bronze - whichever makes sense) synchros, spec stage 2+ clutch and maybe some other stuff but to be honest I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, 1st gear is fine, 2nd gear you start to hear a very very faint whine, then 3rd through 5th very very audible whine. It goes away when I press the clutch in or put it in neutral while coasting. I don't have any problems shifting through the gears and don't get any grinding or anything. Just the damn loud whining. I just replaced the fluid about 3 days ago (3.2 quarts) thinking that may be the problem, but obviously its not. Any ideas on what it could be? Or do I just need to save up the cash and have it looked at at a transmission shop and see if there is anything to repair? Thanks guys!

03MachMe 02-07-2013 02:46 PM

Put my mach through over 100k miles worth of abuse and never had any whine from the trans. Had the exact same clutch in mine for the last 30k or so I owned it. Sorry wish I could be more help. try the registry, they seem to know every thing about those cars

Grandpa 02-07-2013 03:11 PM

Afraid I'm no help either. Our Mach only has 75k miles on it and has lived a very pampered life. The car probably hasn't been over 80mph in at least a year and a half. It's my wife's cruiser and she couldn't care less about going fast in it. lol

Grandpa 02-07-2013 03:16 PM

If I were to guess though, I'd guess it has something to do with the input shaft.

brtnstrns 02-07-2013 03:29 PM

aaah. I should have just bought a 5.0 :D

Well maybe I'll just have to take it to a transmission shop to have them look at it. Y'all know of any good ones near Lewisville? And any idea on how much it may cost for diagnosis?

blownaltered 02-07-2013 11:00 PM

That's the same transmission I had in my 01 gt and I made over 600hp and it never made a noise. What transmission fluid did you put in it. Did it make the noise before you changed the fluid?

Toby 02-07-2013 11:33 PM

When rebuilt it probably was not setup properly. Give truestreet a call and let Sean take a look at it.

brtnstrns 02-08-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownaltered (Post 18735)
That's the same transmission I had in my 01 gt and I made over 600hp and it never made a noise. What transmission fluid did you put in it. Did it make the noise before you changed the fluid?

I changed the transmission fluid because of the noise. Didn't do anything

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 18743)
When rebuilt it probably was not setup properly. Give truestreet a call and let Sean take a look at it.

I may do that. Just worried I don't have enough money to get it looked at since regardless you'll have to pull the tranny to check out the insides. Plus I need an alignment before I drive it anywhere...oh yeah and make sure I didn't destroy my heads last night by boiling over the radiator fluid due to the electric water pump not actually having a connection
:snoopfacepalm:
but that's a story for a different thread